PRA PASS Cards at Mentone 2007

JoeSwanton

I've been asked to post some information about the the process of obtaining a PRA PASS CARD to be allowed to fly at the convention this year. I've been involved in this process for several years at our conventions and I plan on volunteering to take care of them again this year. I have not been contacted by the convention chairman or any boardmembers regarding any changes to the process so I would have to assume that the program will be run the same as in the past.

First of all the PASS Card stands for Proficiency Assessment of Skill & Safety. It was developed to keep our PRA sanctioned events as safe as a non-regulatory organization could make them. Since PRA owns the airport PRA can set the rules about who can or can't fly during our convention. Only current PRA members who are Current PASS card holders who have attended the daily Safety Briefing may fly during our convention.

That is 3 requirements-- PRA member, PASS Card, Briefing sticker

You can sign up as a new member at the front gate. The daily pilot briefing is given early every morning--you just need to attend the briefing to get the daily sticker for your helmet/aircraft. If you arrive later in the day, after the briefing, and have ever flown during our conventions at Mentone before you may be able to get a personal briefing from Bill M. at the flight line control area depending on Bill's work load. If you miss the morning briefing and have never flown at Mentone before you will probably have to wait until the next mornings briefing to be given a briefing sticker. It is very important to attend each mornings briefing, NOBODY is "grandfathered" out of this requirement.

If you have ever been issued a PRA PASS Card bring the old card with you to be issued a new card. If you can't find it, the records of it might be able to be verified by me at the office but no guarantees. Along with your old PASS Card bring your PRA membership number. You need your PRA number to sign in at the daily briefings and it will be written on your new PASS Card.

If you have never had a PASS Card before you must either hold an F.A.A. Rotorcraft rating and present it to be given a PRA PASS Card or your competency must be verified by a gyro flight instructor. You may have to prove your proficiency to an instructor by getting some dual with them. If an instructor is vouching for your proficiency and competence the instructor will have to sign your first PASS Card. All your future PASS Cards will be issued based off that initial card if the old one is brought back the next year or evidence of it being issued can be found. PASS Cards are issued for 1 year duration and have to be renewed each year.

Important-- holding a current PRA PASS Card does NOT mean you or your aircraft have been deemed legal to fly by PRA-- only the F.A.A. can determine that. That is between you and the F.A.A. PRA is non-regulatory. Remember PRA owns the airport and has set the rule that you must have a PRA PASS Card in order to fly at it's airport during the PRA CONVENTION. PLEASE bring in your old PASS Cards and PRA membership numbers to speed up the process of getting the new card. I hope this helps everyone who comes to the convention get to fly at our own airport. ---Joe Swanton

Last edited:

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
I think this is a good step to get things under control and avoid problems.
All for it!
Heron

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Steve McG, I heard that the PASS cards say "shirt and shoes required." What now?

Pam Bundy

"Shirt and Shoes"

"Shirt and Shoes"

Hi Doug & All,

I guess a T-shirt with the sleeves torn off and a pair of sandles will suffice, cause that's what I've seen him in the last couple of days here at Mentone. :eek:hwell:

Those of us that have been at the airport for the last few days are having a great time visiting and getting caught up with what everyone has been doing since last year. It's like having a family reunion. Looking forward to seeing the rest of you that will be coming to Mentone. To those of you that won't be coming this year, we'll miss you! :sad:

Pam Bundy, and all the "Early Birds" at Mentone. :welcome:

gyrosherwood

Pam
Laurie is coming Wed. She has a bunch of stuff to do at home monday and tuesday. Then she has to go to wisconsin to pick up Brittany for a week.:peace:

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
I can't make it myself, but I'm sending my tandem Dominator. Neil Williams of Washington State just bought it and hour ago and drove away, Mentone-bound.

I actually got a little misty parting with it.

quadrirotor

André MARTIN
Aircraft
airplane, trike, gyro, paramotor...
Total Flight Time
Doug, what are you gone a do now, do you stay in the gyro domain?

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Just once, Pam, in 2000.

Ralph Taggart and Jim Stephenson gave such a pep talk about the need for more instructors that I went off and became one.

Andre, I have 2 single-place gyros. My Gyrobee is already humming with contentment, now that it has my whole shop to itself -- that big bully of a Dominator is gone.

Last edited: