PRA Hangar - Classroom Renovation Plan

GyroDoug

Aircraft
Butterfly Super Sky Cycle
Total Flight Time
The PRA Board is discussing a budget line item to provide some funds to help continue the Classroom Renovation that started this year with adding the 2 AC Units to our classroom. I believe the original plan was to do more with the ducting of these two units, and to finish a back wall, where we just had the temporary plastic tarp hung up. I believe we also wanted to do some additional insulation and interior wall surfaces.

Could someone that lives close enough to go check this out, take a closer look at what we have and help us figure out a plan to get to where we want to be? Obviously we need to keep costs as low as possible and we will want to use volunteer labor to do as much as possible. But if someone who understands what will be required to get this closer to what we eventually want it to be, can give us some guidence and help us figure out how much we need to budget for materials, we can start taking some of the first steps to making this happen.

We sincerely appreciate all the efforts that went in to the project this summer and hope to be able to build on that work to keep moving in the right direction. Anyone out there that feels they can help us with the planning stage?

Doug Barker
PRA Board Member

Last edited:
HI Doug

Herman Yates is "ex" HVAC contractor and was discussing the ducting with me some time back, as well as how to build "a set of removable/ portable panels" to makeup the back wall, (put up for the convention, take down after) Would recommend talking to Herman for some ideas. Don't know how much funds are left but should be some. I would recommend "totally framing in the big Southeast" door and installing a handicapped access door at the same time and utilize the concrete ramp already there. Move the back wall to the west end of the North door so some gyros can be brought into the room in the event of storms. Of course finish paneling and insulating.

Tony

Last edited:
Tony,

Can you get me some contact information for Herman? I will be happy to talk to him about the project.

Hi Doug, I don't have any contact info on Herman, Richard Oxnam (rotornut) can probably get you the contact info though.

Tony

The PRA Board is discussing a budget line item to provide some funds to help continue the Classroom Renovation that started this year with adding the 2 AC Units to our classroom. I believe the original plan was to do more with the ducting of these two units, and to finish a back wall, where we just had the temporary plastic tarp hung up. I believe we also wanted to do some additional insulation and interior wall surfaces.

Could someone that lives close enough to go check this out, take a closer look at what we have and help us figure out a plan to get to where we want to be? Obviously we need to keep costs as low as possible and we will want to use volunteer labor to do as much as possible. But if someone who understands what will be required to get this closer to what we eventually want it to be, can give us some guidence and help us figure out how much we need to budget for materials, we can start taking some of the first steps to making this happen.

We sincerely appreciate all the efforts that went in to the project this summer and hope to be able to build on that work to keep moving in the right direction. Anyone out there that feels they can help us with the planning stage?

Doug Barker
PRA Board Member

Doug , I cannot help you with your question , but I would be willing to contribute to the costs , (past and future) for the PRA classroom. How about $200 for now.

I find that a bargain compared to what most of you guys do. Thanks.

Arnie

Doug , I cannot help you with your question , but I would be willing to contribute to the costs , (past and future) for the PRA classroom. How about $200 for now.

I find that a bargain compared to what most of you guys do. Thanks.

Arnie

Arnie,

Thank you for your generous offer and I am sure we will gladly accept your generous donation, I will have to get back to you on how best to collect it. After seeing what happened this summer, when the word got out about adding Air Conditioning to the room, I am sure others will be willing to contribute too and that is all very appreciated and will help as we are still on a very tight budget.

However what we need right now is someone that lives close enough to Mentone that they can make a trip over there and help us figure out exactly what we need to take it to the next level. I realize that those that live close are already heavily utilized, but we really need someone that can step up and help us one more time.

Hi Doug

A little side note, when we built the tower, Glenn Bundy found a place right near Mentone that makes metal siding and was able to get a near perfect match to the hangars. this could be valuable in getting the siding to frame in the big South door and have it match. If the "portable back wall" is moved to the West end of the big North door then we will still have a major fire door exit as well as the handicapped door that should be built into the framed in area of the old South door.

Probably the easiest work to start on and figure out costs is to finish the paneling and insulation. Herman told me that when he had his HVAC buisness if he had his equipment there he could make square duct about as fast as you could put it up, I guess that's the difference between knowing whats going on and like me just guessing.

Herman and I both had almost identical ideas for the protable back wall. Make a frame panel out of 2 x 2 pine on the sides and top and a piece of 2 x 4 on the bottom and fill the inside of the frame with either pieces of 2 inch thick (or 2 pieces of 1 inch thick) blue extruded styrofoam cut to fit inside the 4 ft wide frame that would be as tall as needed to go from floor to the "permanent" header attached to the ceiling. Cover this 4 ft wide by X ft long frame and styrofoam with "Luan" (chinese doors skins)this would give you a "sandwich" construction that would be quite strong and light then install 1/4 inch lag bolts in the bottom of the 2x4 base of the frame and leave about 3/4 inch of the bolt stick out of the bottom and cut the heads off to leave a "anchor pin" stick out of the bottom, install 2 of these in each panel. Then drill matching holes in the concrete floor where the panels will stand when installed. At the top of each panel, drill two 1/4 inch holes horizontal thru the 2 x 2 frame top and then these would have lag bolts run thru them and screwed to the permanent header that would be installed to the ceiling.. To remove all that rould be necessary would be to unscrew the 2 lag bolts at the top of each panel and lift it out of the "anchor pin holes" in the floor. The panels would have to be about 3/4 to 1 inch shorter that the height of the ceiling so they could be lifted out of the anchor holes in the floor. Properly built these panels would have good insulating qualities and sound quality and be light and storeable. I don't think they would be to expensive. I think it would take about 7 or 8 panels.

Tony

Last edited:
Hay Doug -

Chris & I are in for $100, let us know where to send it.

farmer jim :smokin:

Hay Doug -

Chris & I are in for $100, let us know where to send it.

farmer jim :smokin:

Arnie, Jim and others that are interested and willing,

We already have a "Donation" button set up on the PRA website "pra.org". On the Home page on the left hand side is a blue column and nearly at the bottom of that column it says, "Donate to the PRA". If you will click on this button it will take you to a page that will help you set up the donation.

It will ask for your PRA # (it isn't required that you be a PRA Member to donate, but if you are, we want to have record of it and be able to recognize those that help us), then it will ask for your phone #.

Then below that it lets you choose what you would like the donation to be used for. In this case you want to click on the "other" selection and simply type in to the space "hangar project".

Below that it lets you select the amount you want to donate. The default is set for $25 but you can change this to what ever amount you would like to participate with. Then it lets you pay either with Pay Pal or a Credit Card.

We invite anyone that would like to see this meeting place improved for our big 50th Convention to log on and give what you can. However what we really need the most right now is someone that can help us with the planning phase. It woudl certainly help if this person lived within 500 miles of Mentone so they can inspect and see exactly what we have now and figure oout what it will take to get to where we want to be. I think Tony's idea for some removeable panels sounds like a great idea and I think that could even be a fun project making the panels. I wish I lived closer or had more vacation time as this is the kind of project I would love to be a part of.

We sure appreciate everyone who has already stepped up to help make the Airport what it is today. It is a process, but it keeps getting better and better and next year is really going to be a Convention to remember!

Hi Doug

As a very serious side bar to the classroom project, I think we should keep the point about the water well very much alive, this could be a convention breaker. We sneaked by this year because of some great work by Herman Yates and others that came up with the idea of a tanker truck as a reserve and it got used heavily !!!!. This wont be enough if we grow more next year (as I hope we will). A UPGRADED WATER SYSTEM IS A MUST FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! (if we are to avoid a crisis in water)

Tony

Hi Doug

As a very serious side bar to the classroom project, I think we should keep the point about the water well very much alive, this could be a convention breaker. We sneaked by this year because of some great work by Herman Yates and others that came up with the idea of a tanker truck as a reserve and it got used heavily !!!!. This wont be enough if we grow more next year (as I hope we will). A UPGRADED WATER SYSTEM IS A MUST FOR NEXT YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! (if we are to avoid a crisis in water)

Tony

Tony,

We are aware of that and expanding the water supply is another line item we are looking at this month. We are looking into what makes the most sense, (drilling another well or adding a permanant water storage tank) We are certainly open to ideas from the membership on this and any other ideas you might have.

Doug Barker
Board Member

We're still needing someone that will step up to the plate and offer to help us figure out exactly what we need to pull this project off. Can someone please help us?

Doug Barker
Board Member

We're still needing someone that will step up to the plate and offer to help us figure out exactly what we need to pull this project off. Can someone please help us?

Doug Barker
Board Member

This was my baby last year and I would love to finish up the HVAC to help knock down the sound and give our classroom a finished look. I am going to contact my local chapter to see who would like to help me with the hands on work, so long as we have some funding to finish it up. I would appreciate knowing a dollar amount we have since a few here pledged a total of $300 so far. I would like to plan a trip in June to work but it will be dependent on any help I can get.

Thanks!

Hello Doug
I worked on classroom last year and hope to help this year.
I suggest that we frame up an end wall with two man doors in the area of where the tarp was hanging.2x6 on 2ft centres. Install one man door on the east side of the south hanger door. insulate the hanger door but leave it functional we may have to use the classroom for gyros in storms.
This also leaves part of the hanger useable behind the back wall.
Just the way i would do it ?
Murray

I'll bring this subject up at our conference call this evening and see what kind of resources can be applied to it. Thanks for your willingness to particpate!

Trying to use some memory here, (so take that into consideration :) ). First it sounds like we have plenty of air conditioning capacity, right ?? If so, as I remember, there is a large hangar door on the south side, towards the East end near the speaking area. Frame it in and put a handicap access walkthru door in it, (you will already have a concrete ramp from the hangar door). Then there is a large hangar door on the North side near the West end, move the partition wall to the West side of the North door and this will give all the room you will need for classes plus have a hangar door access to the room in an emergency plus have a hangar door as a emergency fire door ?????
This is if my memroy is still right :)

Tony

I think maybe Glenn Bundy knows where to get matching sheet metal siding locally if you frame in that South door (he found it when we built the tower)

Tony

Tony,

Do you have glens email?

Hi Tim

Sorry , but no I don't. Jane at headquarters might be able to help. Don't hear much from Glenn anymore, don't know if he visits the forum or not.

Tony

Herman Yates had a great idea on how to build that partion wall, had to do with making 4 x 11 foot panels out of foam and luan in a sandwich construction with studs (lag bolts with the heads cut off)in the bottom to go into holes bored in the floor then screwed into a header across the ceiling, put up in less than a hour and take down same after convention

Tony