PRA 2020 convention

okaneco1

Aircraft
TwinStarr Lycoming O-032B2c
Total Flight Time
a few
A question to the gyro pilots; The PRA 2020 convention is July 29th through August 2nd, Would it be a good idea to have a soft start on the weekend before? Those that could travel to Mentone Indiana on July 25 could start flying and prepping the airport for the convention. If some CFIs arrive early, they could start training without a lot of pattern traffic. Just a thought, the PRA board is looking into options and would to hear any ideas from the membership.
Kevin O'Kane

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I usually show up early because that is when the hard core gyroplane enthusiast are there and I find more time to learn from them before I get busy with the convention.

When I have received training at the Convention we usually go off to Fulton County Airport (RCR) to get away from the traffic.

In my opinion Mentone is fine for an introductory lesson but is a less than ideal environment for training to a certificate.

k413

Aircraft
None.
Total Flight Time
About 40 hours - no license
Will we have Mentone this year? Have not seen any news about it,

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Greetings my friends!!!

Great news Indiana is opening up on July the 4th so the convention is on.
Dates 7/28/2020 - 8/1/2020. This has historically the largest personal rotorcraft fly-in the USA with more helicopters and even fixed wings flying in to see our cool rides!
We have figure 8, spot landing, and egg drop competitions with awards and cash prizes and ride judging with trophies too for modern and classic categories. More fun than is normally allowed.

This year Kevin O'Kaen had a great idea... we are opening a week before for early birds. The concession stand will only be open if we can get volunteers to man it, else early birds are on our own for food.

More news soon,
John

Last edited:

Gyro Technic

Manufacturer
Aircraft
Gyro Technic GTVX1
Greetings my friends!!!

Great news Indiana is opening up on July the 4th so the convention is on.
Dates 7/28/2020 - 8/1/2020.
Thanks John!
It would be nice to see these dates posted on one of the official PRA sites soon (Facebook or PRA.org)
Denis

okaneco1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
a few
John Rountree is working on the new web site and convention announcements

hkonz

It is now June 20 and the link to register for the Mentone Fly-in Convention on the PRA website still does not work. There is also no current information about the upcoming conference, just boiler plate info from past conventions. There has been nothing new here about it since May 21. Does anyone know if it is still going on? I hate to make too many plans since there appears little organization. I have found that email inquiries I send to the PRA are rarely ever responded to. Anyone else having this problem?

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
It is listed on the PRA website on the home page:

However if you click on the Fly-In / Convention link Convention info
http://pra.org/default.aspx?p=PRAConventionInfoPage&i=32
That link has not been updated.
That link has not been updated... since 2017.

But how about the "2020" listing of fly-ins (no apostrophe needed) on the Home Page... 60% are not even for 2020!
Popular Rotorcraft Fly-In's
----- 2020 Calendar ------

Texas
March 16, 2020 .................................... = Click St Patricks Day fly-in
California
March 16, 2020 ............................... = Click Marion Springer fly-In
Florida March 24-28, 2020 ........................ = for info Click Bensen Days fly-In
North Carolina May 13- 15, 2019 . = for info Click Carolina Barnstormers fly-in
Indiana May 27- 28, 2019 ...................... = for info Click PRA Chapter 34 fly-in
Utah June 4- June 8, 2019 ......... = for info Click Rotors over the Rockies fly-in
Indiana July 28-Aug 1, 2020 ................ = Click PRA National Convention fly-in
Georgia September 13- 15, 2018 ......................... = for info Click WRENS fly-in
California September 27-29, 2019 ..... = for info Click Ken Brock Freedom fly-in
Texas October 17-19, 2019 ........................................... = Click Anahuac fly-in

When simple stuff like this is messed up, it makes it hard to take the PRA seriously, unfortunately.

Last edited:

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I expect to be there because I feel it is a worthwhile event.

I love to spend time with other gyroplane enthusiasts and I love the whole idea of the Mentone Airport.

There are lots volunteers working hard to make the PRA convention a great event.

The person working on the website is having health issues and I can understand how his life's priorities are allocated.

I did not and would not volunteer to fix the web page because in my opinion based on my experience software by committee on the cheap does not work out well.

I have a support staff to support Santa Maria Software and they make considerably more than the PRA's annual budget for such things.

I have enough trouble keeping my little doesn't do much Breese Aircraft website working.

hkonz

We are planning to be flying in with a Magni M16 and an M22, maybe an M24. I have been looking forward to this for the past year, have made arrangements but have been frustrated by the invalid registration link and lack of current info except for updated dates. Is there another source for current links and information? How does one get registered?

hkonz

I just saw the thread from John, who is clearly doing a ton of work on the convention this year. Thanks, we will see you there!

okaneco1

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
a few
The web site is now accepting reservations for camping and convention registration.
www.pra.org look at the calendar and events