PPO Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stram

I copied this question from a UK Forum. It was posted by a 'Paul Robinson'.

Has anyone thought of connecting a rev-limiter to a G-meter to reduce engine power if in negative G conditions to prevent 'power push over 'developing.

It seems like a good idea to me, what do you think?

Kind Regards 'Stram'

Better, safer,much more reliable and less to go wrong by just teaching the pilot not to push over.

In other words, there is no substitute for proper training, which includes the prevention of PPO, and how not to PIO.

Better, safer,much more reliable and less to go wrong by just teaching the pilot not to push over.

Isn't the best, safest, and most reliable means of preventing PPO to simply not have a thrustline offset?

Or...

Better, safer,much more reliable and less to go wrong by just designing the instability out of the machine.

Minimize/eliminate the high thrustline, or damp it with a suitably designed horizontal stabilizer, and you don't have to train to avoid a PPO.

DennisFetters Quote:
Originally Posted by gyromike
Or...

Better, safer,much more reliable and less to go wrong by just designing the instability out of the machine.

Minimize/eliminate the high thrustline, or damp it with a suitably designed horizontal stabilizer, and you don't have to train to avoid a PPO.

.............................No

Dennis, I am in the training business working for the insurance underwriters, please explain your answer so I can pass it on to the underwriters.

If unstable gyros are safe with training it would stand to reason that the same would hold true for all other flying machines.

Dennis, why on earth would you NOT design out PPO?

PIO, or porpoising, is different from PPO.

Anyone can PIO any device, from the hot water faucet in the shower to a NASA spacecraft. However, it is not hard to design a device that is user-friendly in this regard -- one that won't PIO unless the operator severely abuses it. Again, why settle for anything less than a design that is highly PIO-resistant?

BTW, I have more hours in Air Commands -- mostly in my "classic" 1986 no-HS Commander -- than I have in any other aircraft. I had great fun, but I have come to recognize that CLT and adequate H-stabs are key to safe gyro design.

I just want to say to Dennis....I bought my 447 Commander from Bill Parsons back in 1986.

Still runs great, flies great & looks great ! BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT !

Thanks to you, I got into this fun hobby ! I'm still alive !

If someone is inclined to continue to fly a gyro with known pitch instability and PPO tendencies, then it might help. If the accelerometer is set correctly, and if the ignition interruption occurs soon enough (but not too soon), it might help.

Then again, the possibility of either component failing or being incorrectly adjusted could easily decrease available engine power, shut down the engine, or fail to activate when needed. Also, how would you test it to see if it is set correctly and working?!

I agree with the other comments. Fix the aircraft or fly something else. I doubt this idea is really a fix but I do like the creative thinking.

Keith

Ppo Prevention

Ppo Prevention

Now I'm gonna get lotts of flack on this answer...

U CANNOTT design a machine that will not PPO....Helicopter pilots will kill Ya quick in a gyro.... so I ask many questions before we fly.

"ANY gyro" or helicopter will PPO... I have been told that the Parsons Trainer I use to instruct with is a death trapp because of the HTL it's built with..

The driver/pilot of the gyro can be taught NOT To PPO.. In ONE/1 hour of the proper instructions the gyro will NOT PPO...

it's NOT the machine that does it.. It's the pilot..I have learned from a lotta slammin into the ground and thats what I instruct students NOT to do.. The ones that PPO outta the air and kill themselves have NOT the proper training or time in the seat.. Money issues, being too cheap to pay for instructions and wanna do it themselves.. Bad move...

NOW,,, I didn't say a CLT doesn't help to avoid the problem,,

But it WILL NOT ASSURE you won't do it..

Now, Yall say I've stuck my foot in my mouth..... Ya think??

Get in the BLACK..... I'll prove it to Ya...

Thanks for the question,, but the REV, Limiter is the fool driving..

Thats my Story,,, I'm stickin to it

U CANNOTT design a machine that will not PPO....Helicopter pilots will kill Ya quick in a gyro.... so I ask many questions before we fly.

"ANY gyro" or helicopter will PPO... I have been told that the Parsons Trainer I use to instruct with is a death trapp because of the HTL it's built with..

The driver/pilot of the gyro can be taught NOT To PPO.. In ONE/1 hour of the proper instructions the gyro will NOT PPO...

it's NOT the machine that does it.. It's the pilot..I have learned from a lotta slammin into the ground and thats what I instruct students NOT to do.. The ones that PPO outta the air and kill themselves have NOT the proper training or time in the seat.. Money issues, being too cheap to pay for instructions and wanna do it themselves.. Bad move...

NOW,,, I didn't say a CLT doesn't help to avoid the problem,,

But it WILL NOT ASSURE you won't do it..

Now, Yall say I've stuck my foot in my mouth..... Ya think??

Get in the BLACK..... I'll prove it to Ya...

Thanks for the question,, but the REV, Limiter is the fool driving..

............. dido

Steve, you should have said, "Thats my story BUT I am open to being convinced otherwise."

The ability to be string minded, strong willed and be open to new and/or others ideas instead of being headstrong is the better way to go.

To the original question, a correctly set up gyro does not need training wheels.

Aussie Paul. :)

I am

I am

alway's open to a better mouse trapp ,, ANYTHING that helps save lives I'm open to it.

Till then I'll have to do the old school thang.. if Ya can't be sure of what your doin,, stay on the ground.. I'll get over bein imbarrassed by the Wrong Wording,, However you know I mean well by what I'm saying,, (I hope So anyway)

It's just that simple....

Last edited:
Dennis or Steve, could either of you give a rational explaination on how a gyro such as the one in the picture below can PPO?

Keeping in mind a PPO is short for POWER.... PUSH..... OVER.....

and also keeping in mind the thrustline was several inches below the CG and would be pushing the nose up if the rotor was unloaded.

I am just curious as I have heard the same thing you guys just said by others such as Jim Logan and I never got a explaination to go with the statement that could make sence to me.

Attachments

• 100_0529.JPG
    100_0529.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 0
Dennis or Steve, could either of you give a rational explaination on how a gyro such as the one in the picture below can PPO?

Keeping in mind a PPO is short for POWER.... PUSH..... OVER.....

and also keeping in mind the thrustline was several inches below the CG and would be pushing the nose up if the rotor was unloaded.

I am just curious as I have heard the same thing you guys just said by others such as Jim Logan and I never got a explaination to go with the statement that could make sence to me.

I have already done that a few weeks ago in another thread. Anyone that wants to learn from it just needs to search on my postings and read all about it.

The fact is, anyone that tells you that you can't PIO or PPO even a CLT machine don't know what they are talking about or is lying to you.

I just want to say to Dennis....I bought my 447 Commander from Bill Parsons back in 1986.

Still runs great, flies great & looks great ! BEST MONEY I EVER SPENT !

Thanks to you, I got into this fun hobby ! I'm still alive !

Hi Chris,
Glad you like it. I had thousands of hours in mine an loved every minute of it. The 582 is even better. I'll have my Rotax 618 finished in a month.

If you put the Elite Pod and Super Thruster kits on it will be more stable and faster, with better climb.

I have already done that a few weeks ago in another thread. Anyone that wants to learn from it just needs to search on my postings and read all about it.

The fact is, anyone that tells you that you can't PIO or PPO even a CLT machine don't know what they are talking about or is lying to you.

Can I ask then why there has never been any evidence of a CLT or LTL gyro ever crashing due to PPO?

Status
Not open for further replies.