Possible Fatal - Australia 12.7.16

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Received from a contact in Australia, some uncertainty as to type.

"July 12, 2016 3:28pm AAP

A pilot has died in a gyrocopter crash in South Australia's far north.

The pilot was the only person in the aircraft when it crashed at New Crown Station, about 200 kilometres northeast of Marla, on Tuesday afternoon.

Local police from SA and the Northern Territory were attending the scene and major crash investigators had been notified."

A different news source refers to the aircraft as a Cessna.

Clarity welcomed.

Any more news ?? Have a Good friend who flys around there.

fj

the local South Australia police say

A SA Police statement reads "Police have been notified of a fatal gyrocopter crash in the far north of the State about 200 kilometres north east of Marla. At about 1pm, emergency services were notified of a crash on New Crown Station where the pilot and sole occupant died at the scene. Major Crash investigators have been notified of the incident, and local Northern Territory and South Australia police are responding to the scene."

http://gyroaccidents.blogspot.co.uk/

Boggles the mind, this misinformation broardcasting in the media.
In the space of 1 hour yesterday, i heard that a kit FW crashed while mustern. ( thought of the only bloke down that way with a kit FW)
Then it was a heli, thought of anatha bloke there with an R44.
Then it wasa gyro, took me a while, but remembered the only flyn gyro there.

Iv heard through our grape vine ( a much more reliable scorce) who it was ( close, life long friend),and wot he was flyn.
Only thing the media got rite was the location and his age.

Birdy - thanks for confirming the basic facts - sorry to hear about your life long friend.

The media's misinformation is totally unacceptable and this has been conveyed to the authorities & media concerned by the ASRA president. It wasn't until I rang Birdy, some 6 hours after the accident that ASRA was able to get confirmation that it was NOT a gyro involved.

Brian - The South Australia police statement refers to a gyrocopter. Is that incorrect ? It's likely the media will have taken the police staement as factual.

However at least one media source refer to a Cessna.

Can you confirm what type of flying machine it was please - thank you.

That is so sad. Think of his family and friends.I lost a very close friend near Madura on a night flight,he lost his vacuum pump and the rest is history. The point I make that it shocked/stopped the small town of Condobolin for weeks
Kym.

Condolences & tributes!

Condolences & tributes!

Tribute from Mick F's Facebook page ..... "Turbulence"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCedBcEZ2G4

"Another Territory Cattle LEGEND & aviator lost! 😢
Condolences to family and friends!" :Cry:

No explanation has come forth as to why a gyrocopter was named as the crash aircraft!

The needless anxiety this incorrect reporting causes is quite high. The first report I received named a area where I personally know one bloke who flys a gyro & another who flies a helicopter and then when it became clear the area was up near or in the NT I was concerned for Birdys welfare and I was extremely happy to hear Birdy answer the phone.

These misleading and incorrect media naming of wrong aircraft happens way to often.
A few years ago in the lower pilbara WA the media reported a gyro ditching into the ocean, it of course was not a gyro but it was my mate in his FIB (flying inflatable boat) trike performing a non event forced landing. But anything that go's down lately is automaticly a gyro.

wolfy

Maybe it’s not strange that these misleading and incorrect media naming of wrong aircraft to happens too often, referring to gyrocopters , is because too many accidents with gyrocopters involved and the bad reputation. Maybe it’s only we who believe that it’s the safest aircraft, but as an instructor said: Safest aircraft but killed most pilots.
So whatever crashes it’s a gyrocopter.

Last edited: