Poll: Ban Kolibri

It has always seemed to me that a slightly robust attitude is desirable to participate fully in the Forum. The delicate approach ends up with hurt feelings.

It’s not needle point, it’s a gyro forum.

Boooyaaah!!!

Boooyaaah!!!

It has always seemed to me that a slightly robust attitude is desirable to participate fully in the Forum. The delicate approach ends up with hurt feelings.

It’s not needle point, it’s a gyro forum.

Perfectly put! ... "ole mate"!!!! :D

A LOT of type A personalities & big egos!! HEEHEE!!!! :focus:

Lets just call him Fred and lets talk about something else?:noidea:;)

Attachments

• beating-a-dead-horse2r.jpg
    beating-a-dead-horse2r.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 0
There are too many haters on here that bitch and moan, piss and complain, about flying videos posted.

Brian: Suck it up, boy, be a man.

Ron et.al. apparently terminated my privileges to imbed videos and photos here last year - just because a couple of whiners here complained and took offense to my thread titled "Would You Fly Over This?" which featured a flying video linked to Youtube titled "Bullet The Blue Sky", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjhq8YcY7Iwhich was about as harmless a video as anything ever taped. No boobies, no bare butt, no frontal nudity...WTH?
watch

You see that funny little black box with the x in it, above? That is my attempt here to imbed the video, and that is what shows up thanks to Ron banning me from imbedding it. He did call me up and explain to me why, the day they banned me this way. He said it was because too many people didnt' like the tone of my thread. What a joke.

The intent of the thread was to exhort my new-found confidence in my Yamaha YG4 engine conversion, as I had been plagued by 2-cycle engine-outs for years and was sick and tired of flying with constant fear of forced landings. I got to the point where flying just wasn't fun anymore, and had finally found that joy and CONFIDENCE in my equipment once again.

For that and no other reason several unnamed RF folks decided to belly ache and whine about the TONE of the thread, that it flew in the face of these whiners that I should have such CONFIDENCE in my equipment as to fly and video over trees and meandering rivers.

What a load of crap.

There are WAY too many haters, jealousy feeders, and envious bags who simply cannot stand it when I and others feel we have had a major success and try to share any joy and excitement for it and the sport of GYROCOPTER flying on here - in my case mainly because they are all about PAYBACK for my own previous bitching and moaning, pissing and complaining to get rid of the right wing politics and CONSTANT assassination of anything liberal whatsoever on RF that was so inflammatory years before. Those old wounds will never die, these folks dont' have the brain capacity to think things through and get to a new place, they only know what they are/were told, and what was past.

For the poll, I suggest let's keep Kolibri, but ban him until he posts his real name and location. After all, that is the rule, right?

Last edited:
Oh dear. There’s a weird whining sound that’s just appeared, now I’m looking for a spot to land. :)

I have complied with forum rules and entered my name and location. I've also exercised my forum rights to restrict where the "About Me" info is displayed. To each their own on that. I would think the forum allows for the full gamut between "Look at me!" exhibitionism and hermetism.

One must wonder why willsbr takes such seemingly personal offense to my thread. (Or, rather, it's no wonder it all?)

I've not read these 3 pages yet, but I will this week and reply.

Thanks meanwhile, Kolibri

There are too many haters on here that bitch and moan, piss and complain, about flying videos posted.

Brian: Suck it up, boy, be a man.

Ron et.al. apparently terminated my privileges to imbed videos and photos here last year - just because a couple of whiners here complained and took offense to my thread titled "Would You Fly Over This?" which featured a flying video linked to Youtube titled "Bullet The Blue Sky", https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjhq8YcY7Iwhich was about as harmless a video as anything ever taped. No boobies, no bare butt, no frontal nudity...WTH?
watch

You see that funny little black box with the x in it, above? That is my attempt here to imbed the video, and that is what shows up thanks to Ron banning me from imbedding it. He did call me up and explain to me why, the day they banned me this way. He said it was because too many people didnt' like the tone of my thread. What a joke.

The intent of the thread was to exhort my new-found confidence in my Yamaha YG4 engine conversion, as I had been plagued by 2-cycle engine-outs for years and was sick and tired of flying with constant fear of forced landings. I got to the point where flying just wasn't fun anymore, and had finally found that joy and CONFIDENCE in my equipment once again.

For that and no other reason several unnamed RF folks decided to belly ache and whine about the TONE of the thread, that it flew in the face of these whiners that I should have such CONFIDENCE in my equipment as to fly and video over trees and meandering rivers.

What a load of crap.

There are WAY too many haters, jealousy feeders, and envious bags who simply cannot stand it when I and others feel we have had a major success and try to share any joy and excitement for it and the sport of GYROCOPTER flying on here - in my case mainly because they are all about PAYBACK for my own previous bitching and moaning, pissing and complaining to get rid of the right wing politics and CONSTANT assassination of anything liberal whatsoever on RF that was so inflammatory years before. Those old wounds will never die, these folks dont' have the brain capacity to think things through and get to a new place, they only know what they are/were told, and what was past.

For the poll, I suggest let's keep Kolibri, but ban him until he posts his real name and location. After all, that is the rule, right?

Wrong. I have not done anything to stop or prevent you from embedding videos.

Vance, since you didn't mention them regarding your 12,800' ascent over Oceano (L52), did you have with you a safety pilot, an oximeter, or supplemental O2? Just curious.

______
First of all, since it was my thread which kicked off Brian's "poll" to ban me, I judiciously kept the river flight pilot identity under wraps. He had ample time to delete the video. For his own privacy, I did not mention his name or post any link to his video. (Neither did anybody else in that thread, including the pilot himself.) However, GyroRon was the first to do so, which was confirmed by Vance.

Now that this "open secret" is out of the bag, we can all finally dispense with the charade -- although Brian 12 hours later was still absurdedly referring to himself in the 3rd person about what he had "heard" about "the guy that posted". He is still trying to defend that flight, which I find pathetic. From his other videos, he typically flies way under 500' over homes. People on the ground don't like it, so I wish he would stop doing that.

Since he chose not to self-govern then and in other filmed flights, we have the responsibility to "handle it internally". I'm not seeing much of that here so far. Instead, I got a lot of "What did you know and when did you know it?" and "the boat came out of nowhere" and "Who can really say if it was within 500 feet?" as well as the name-calling.

That video has been up for going on 4 years now. Didn't anybody in the gyro community ever caution him about his blatant 91.119(c) violation and the damning self-evidence? Where were all his "friends" this whole time? Don't make me out to be the prick for this. (Had I wanted to cause him trouble, I'd have not mentioned a thing here but sent all the info to his local FSDO. I did not. I'm not a narc.) As one of Dofin's apologists who in another thread called me a "fool", I don't even like the guy, yet I was trying to help save his bacon.

If we don't correct our errant members, the FAA will eventually catch up with him when he can't restrain himself in the Genesis. (He's certainly not building a faster, safer, and more maneuverable ship in order to fly it more sedately than his 130hp RAF.)

____
Let's get one definition clear: A "troll" is somebody truly unknown and anonymous who tosses grenades and flees his own shrapnel. Whatever forum fallout my posts cause, I deal mano-a-mano with those who object. While I do not seek confrontation, I do not avoid it if I feel it illuminates. If I get something wrong, I admit it and apologize.

One reason I chose to post under Kolibri was reading how poorly Chuck Ellsworth was often treated on RWF for indefatigably calling out RAF Canada for their shoddy engineering and questionable business practices. Lord knows how many crank phone calls at 3AM he got from that.

Also, years ago, I was a victim of identity theft. Not the worst case of it, but bad enough to make an impression. While others may do as they wish, I would feel foolish to publish excessive amounts of personal information on a public forum. I've not published such about others, and if it happens to me here I will consider it an act of bad faith.

Besides, knowing my name, what would some of you do with it? What's the useful purpose in learning it but to hassle me offline as well? No, thanks. I know most of you only via this forum, so deal with me here as I do you unless we have become friends.

______
Brian alleges that my "mode is to assassinate the character of others" and "abuse people" with "hateful slander".

Others? As in many? So overly sweeping as to be false on its face. Two people -- TWO -- I have ever truly maligned here. Dofin, obviously, and then later (and only once) without ever naming him as the river pilot, Brian.

Two.

I will stand on the facts regarding them both, although I did apologize for the snide comment (voluntarily removed on 6/15) about Brian's passenger.

As far as "character assassination" of Dofin, to kill something it must first be alive. I posted photos of the evidence (seized bolts and his logbook entry). If true, then it's not "character assassination" -- merely calling out a bad egg. He's welcome to confront me here on this forum regarding anything I've posted about him. Not only do I not lie about other people, I will not say something I think even may be untrue.

As far as my "hiding" behind a screen name in order to "openly attack others" -- here's something key which Brian is banking on that you all never put together on your own: those two I've "attacked" already know who I am. Dofin was my CFI who did all my PTS paperwork. Brian is his friend and student, and Dofin told him who I was. (Brian implicitly admitted this by claiming that he knows people who have met me.)

His "un-named troll" accusation is disingenuous, and mocks the intelligence of the forum for assuming that you wouldn't figure out that he must know my name after all these months of my Dofin posts.

TO WILLISBR:_______________

at least we are discussing the main issue: I don't want to see people abused on this forum.

I don't expect for us to all be homies...but I don't think it's too much to hope that we can all be generally respectful.
What a crock. Between us, the "name-calling" began with you because you didn't like what I was writing in the LaPlace crash thread. You've been personally antagonistic from nearly the beginning. I had no beef with you then, but you took it upon yourself to try to defend Dofin after he refused to make right with me. You could have brokered some kind of communication and settlement. I'd have been amenable to any kind of sincere offer to work things out.

You have not once tried to refute my story about what he sold me. You've exhibited nothing but a nearly hysterical reflexive defense of him, despite the persistent deaths of his students (me being nearly one of them from his neglected and falsified maintenance). Why don't you ask your friend how Darren Mahler flew around in N5002E full of corroded rod ends after Brewton? I'd like to read Dofin's evasion as that aircraft's inspector and his CFI. I did not change mine out at first, because Dofin said it wasn't necessary. After Mahler's death, I began to look more deeply into it. At least that poor man's death will not be all for naught.

As far as my maligning your YT videos, I believe that you deserved it.

If I'd wanted to "burn" you, I could have done so without posting a thing here. And your 91.119(c) apathy shows up in other videos, namely your Coastal flight (for example, 220' over homes at 3:02 and elsewhere, for no compelling reason, see photo below). I'm no Altimeter Nazi pouncing on 480' -- you weren't even half way up to 500' safety over that neighborhood.

I don't want you to "limit" your "participation and content". I'd like you to cease your unsafe flying, that's all. And if you won't self-control, I was hoping that this community would heavily chime in and ask you to cool it. Few did, which surprised me given the indisputable stuff you did. (Maybe I'm truly naive and most everybody here flies that way?) Fine, carry on as usual, in your Genesis. Post whatever you wish, I don't care; I won't watch them. Cocky and habitually inconsiderate of people below, you're low-hanging fruit for the FAA. At this rate you'll screw up on your own, and I hope you don't take anybody with you.

As far as your "it's either him or me!" threat goes, stop being such a baby. I'm not interested in your posts or your build thread. I won't watch your videos or comment on your material if it excludes me. And, after the river flight thread I'm done with you. You remind me of that guy in traffic who cuts people off and then gives them the finger when honked at.

I know a few others that have met him personally. Unfortunately, they don't share your same views on him being a decent guy.

Brian, I am flat out calling BS on this. Besides Dofin and that local PTS CFI (whom I liked, and it seemed mutual), I've met nobody in your flying circles. (Mrs. Fritts seemed to like me when I was a guest and we enjoyed conversing in German, but that was before I learned what kind of used RAF her husband had sold me.) Either name them to me, or have these "few others" PM me. I'm calling you out on this specious claim. Prove it.

And you lecture me on "character assassination"? (Whatever I've written about you was obviously tied to your river piloting, and not the general smear job you're attempting on me. And whatever I think of your flying etiquette and safety, I've not asked to have you banned from RWF.)

_______
I want to point out something very interesting about those of you who have here objected in general about me:

NOT ONE OF YOU HAS EVER PMed ME YOUR OBJECTIONS. Not about my posts on Dofin, and not about my posts about Brian's river flight. I read of such only in public, and belatedly at that. I had absolutely no feedback behind the scenes, and not much more on the forum. Did anybody ever take me aside with a brotherly warning? I respond well to courtesy, wise advice, and kindness. Have a look and see how much of that I've received.

________
My friends know my name, including those whom have been mutually befriended here. Some people here have my cell #, have seen my gyro, etc.

This isn't 8th Grade, and I'm obviously not running for Student Council. And I clearly am not seeking universal popularity here. I explained myself on this months ago, "I am here to hear and speak the truth" about my RAF and gyro safety. All else is secondary. While I don't go out of my way to be unsociable, I don't like tip-toeing around the multiple elephants in the room.

I've often posted "with the bark on" to ascertain who will nonetheless continue to have my safety in mind even with a member they sometimes find abrasive or arrogant. I don't trust "Kumbaya" and I loathe hypocrisy. After several months, I've noticed several members who have shown integrity, courtesy, intellectual honesty, and even moral/social courage. I'd be pleased to call them my friends.

I thank in particular Jeff Tipton, Ben S, and Heath for their public support here. I understand social pressure and mob mentality, and I appreciate you guys standing up for me regardless. I assure you that I will not cause you regret it. Thanks also to the others who did not join the baying for my blood. I appreciated those who read and responded solely to the facts.

Finally, I thank our mod Mike for his patience with me throughout the months. I am not constantly looking for the next crusade. In fact, I'm logging off now to go flying.

Regards, Kolibri

Attachments

• coastal flight at 220' AGL at 3.02 over homes - close-up.jpg
    coastal flight at 220' AGL at 3.02 over homes - close-up.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 1
Vance, since you didn't mention them regarding your 12,800' ascent over Oceano (L52), did you have with you a safety pilot, an oximeter, or supplemental O2? Just curious.
Regards, Kolibri[/COLOR]

I did not have a safety pilot, an oximeter or supplemental oxygen on board because I did not expect The Predator to fly that high.

I looked at my notes from 2011 and the flight was actually to 12,700 feet and took a little over fifty minutes. I was above 12,500 feet for less than five minutes.

With the 135 horsepower Lycoming O-290 and a two blade Prince propeller I had only made it to 8,800 feet under similar conditions.

My Cato three blade propeller was over pitched for the 160 horsepower @2,700 rpm Lycoming IO-320 and our climb out was at 2,350 rpm probably making closer to 140 horsepower at sea level.

I was experimenting with different airspeeds when I took the picture at 12,500 feet. The indicated air speed is actually in knots as is the GPS ground speed. The picture I took at 12,700 feet didn’t come out. I was pretty cold by then and had to remove my gloves to take the pictures.

Attachments

• 7,500.jpg
    7,500.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 0
  • L52 high.jpg
    L52 high.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 0
Kolibri, I seem to get my foot stuck in my mouth, whenever I open it.

Because I didn't read it all - the posts I'd read had given me a certain impression.

That you joined the forum anonymously just to bash in hiding. It looked to me that way.

And now I believed people with names instead of an anonymous one.

But it seems like you have reason - once burned, twice shy. I used to work with a guy who had that happen to him, while he was on a long vacation - ouch.

I feel somewhat bad about joining a choir - without knowing the entire story.

Well, enough of that. Now I have to think of other matters; my doctor's appointment has been moved up to sunday.

Cheers
Erik

Last edited:
Well - I didn't read all the lengthy prose, but I do look at the pics:)

It is possible that the Kollsman window was improperly set - it looks higher than 220' to me = looks at least 520' to me. (You know, glass houses yadah yadah yadah)

Also, there appears to be a "sparsely populated area" exception here (If you are paying attention that would be exception (c) Over other than congested areas . He is heading out over the coast (read: "open water" which is specifically mentioned) and I see one maybe two "buildings" that may or may not be inhabited with a horizontal separation that appears to be more than 1000 feet.

This is why pics of this nature never warrant a call from the FAA.

I am not jumping on anyone's bandwagon or defense - this thread is petty and absurd. I hope the forum evolves to a higher standard.

Well - I didn't read all the lengthy prose, but I do look at the pics:)

It is possible that the Kollsman window was improperly set - it looks higher than 220' to me = looks at least 520' to me. (You know, glass houses yadah yadah yadah)

Also, there appears to be a "sparsely populated area" exception here (If you are paying attention that would be exception (c) Over other than congested areas . He is heading out over the coast (read: "open water" which is specifically mentioned) and I see one maybe two "buildings" that may or may not be inhabited with a horizontal separation that appears to be more than 1000 feet.

This is why pics of this nature never warrant a call from the FAA.

I am not jumping on anyone's bandwagon or defense - this thread is petty and absurd. I hope the forum evolves to a higher standard.

Mate, I very rarely ever get over 500 ft AGL [ my own property] and have had over 6,000 hours below 500 ft & I seriously doubt separation would be even 500 ft & more likely around 250 to 300 ft so that makes his height AGL to be about 250 ft & does it matter if those houses are occupied or not ?
Truth is at that altitude an engine failure is not going to turn out well.
Just my two bobs worth :)

Poll: Ban Kolibri

Kolibri, you want people to PM you to tell you their objections about you? How about practicing what you preach? How many PM's did you send to willisbr with your concerns about his flying?

First of all, since it was my thread which kicked off Brian's "poll" to ban me, I judiciously kept the river flight pilot identity under wraps. He had ample time to delete the video. For his own privacy, I did not mention his name or post any link to his video. (Neither did anybody else in that thread, including the pilot himself.) However, GyroRon was the first to do so, which was confirmed by Vance.

What the heck? Why are you trying to throw me under the bus?

I have complied with forum rules and entered my name and location. I've also exercised my forum rights to restrict where the "About Me" info is displayed. To each their own on that. I would think the forum allows for the full gamut between "Look at me!" exhibitionism and hermetism.

One must wonder why willsbr takes such seemingly personal offense to my thread. (Or, rather, it's no wonder it all?)

I've not read these 3 pages yet, but I will this week and reply.

Thanks meanwhile, Kolibri

Kolibri,

I've actually read a lot of your posts and find some useful, others not. I disagree with you in some cases but others not.

For the record, I think you should put your name in your signature block, that's all.

Stew Stau is my real name, it was shortened by my military colleagues from Stewart Staudinger two decades ago and it stuck.

I don't mind being called out in public and, I reckon, neither does Brian Willis or anyone else on the forum. If I'm wrong, then those individuals do indeed need to grow up.

As for the one issue where I tend to agree with you, the desire of some to scream 'buyer beware' regardless of circumstance, I have only one thing to point out. The US does not have a 'loser pays' legal system and this is reflective of a cultural issue within the US society. Having balls doesn't just mean putting your signature on something or being willing to discuss an issue face-to-face, it means that if you're proved wrong and that cost someone else, you dig out your wallet. There are many, but not all by any stretch, who live by this 'see ya, wouldn't want to be ya' mantra and if you choose to take issue with that, crack on fella. Just put your name to it.

I think that it's the semi-anonomous nature of your profile that does you great disservice.

For any Americans who take issue with this last statement, we have the same problem up here in the great white north and it's an embarrassment. Any freaking low-life can take someone to a human rights commission for some perceived offence or other and even if the defendant is proved innocent of all alleged offenses, they're still stuck with a legal bill for defending themselves.

When some Fing idiot took McDonalds to court for serving them coffee that was 'too hot', when McDonalds successfully won their case, they should have been able to strip that same idiot down to their socks to cover the legal bills. Then maybe we'd get back to a society where tripping over your own feet isn't Nike's fault.

If I sell someone a lemon, it's my fault regardless of how enthusuastically my family and friends come to my defence.

Last edited:
Chopper_Reid wrote:

Mate, I very rarely ever get over 500 ft AGL [ my own property] and have had over 6,000 hours below 500 ft & I seriously doubt separation would be even 500 ft & more likely around 250 to 300 ft so that makes his height AGL to be about 250 ft & does it matter if those houses are occupied or not ?

I was kidding re: 520' - simply trying to make a point regarding attacking another pilot (It's never a good practice to attack anyone) However, from this pic I do not believe him to be in violation. The FAR's specify horizontal distances also and he does appear to be at least 1000' laterally clear of the structures in the image. I am not a gyro pilot so I cannot speak to the emergency landing options.