Polish CF blades

These are interesting but I would have to know a lot more about their construction and design then a pure test like they posted.
When dealing with composites, you have to see if their technique for such a critical component is creating a properly cured resin matrix and if their design creates enough chord wise stiffness so the rotor actually remains stable. This stiffness and these other issues are not such a problem in an extruded blade once you figure out the shape and a die. But with composites the QA determines the resin matrix cure each and every time. Process is very important. Definitely not something to outsource out to the cheapest bidder.

Look like nice blades. The Poles have been doing good work for years and have come up with a lot of good Aviation stuff. Something to keep an eye on. Bet the Shipping would almost double the cost.

Look like nice blades. The Poles have been doing good work for years and have come up with a lot of good Aviation stuff. Something to keep an eye on. Bet the Shipping would almost double the cost.

Not for someone like me. I bring multiple containers over. Blades could just fit under the trike parts and other things I import. My main concern is still production QA and the blades usage/testing/time. Since I didn't do it myself, I would want to know a lot more about that part.

I recently contacted them regarding shipping to Australia.
$900euros delivered to my door for a set of 28ft composites (blades/hub bar = $1800euro). 7-10 days. They said they send them by air. So i thought quite reasonable.
Thats is around $4000 aussie dollars which is pretty much what a set of AK Ally blades would cost over here.
Would love to hear of any reports of these in flight...........

If those blades broke at 300kn (67,000 lbs) in a pull test, it goes without saying that the resin is properly cured.

The thing that puzzles me is why they should select a failed 1940s helicopter airfoil (NACA 8H12) that Bensen picked for ease of hand starting. There are a number of modern rotorcraft airfoils that offer better lift/drag ratios.

If those blades broke at 300kn (67,000 lbs) in a pull test, it goes without saying that the resin is properly cured.

The thing that puzzles me is why they should select a failed 1940s helicopter airfoil (NACA 8H12) that Bensen picked for ease of hand starting. There are a number of modern rotorcraft airfoils that offer better lift/drag ratios.
Which profiles are those , Chuck? I am getting pricing done at the moment on a new blade extrusion in 8H12 .....but if there is a better profile I would be keen to see it. Also , what grade aluminium is recommended.
Thanks
Eric

Yep
Almost convinced now to ship a set over to oz to try.....

Cheers Mick
Have they got any pics/details on their hub bars? Would like to know if they fit straight into our rotorheads.
If their blades are as good as they say it may save us going down the path of getting new extrusions done.
Eric

Thanks Chuck.
How about ONERA OA212 vs Boeing VR-7 ?

Eric

The OA212 is a newer airfoil and probably has better characteristics at higher mach numbers.

The VR-7 is an excellent airfoil, designed to provide high lift at lower mach numbers. The TE tab of VR-7 is an essential part of the airfoil, required for zero pitching moment.

Thanks. Airfoil tools is a great way of comparing those profiles.
Getting back to the Gyro Tech blades .....they say their 8H12 is "improved". Wouldn't any modification to that profile give it a new number?

Aerodynamicists, working with high speed wind tunnels and fancy computer programs sometimes improve airfoils.

It’s very unlikely for a guy working with a pencil, a sheet of paper and French curve to do so.