perrysplus Wanted to See a H/V Diagram

dinoa

What would it look like for a gyroplane? Would the right lower red section apply?

hillberg

A gyro doesn't have powered rotors with a collective pitch -
These diagrams are made from various speeds and altitudes all under power with a one second delay when power is removed & before corrective actions by the pilots.
All helicopters will have different H/V curves.
Note: when collective is down this H/V gets way smaller
(S-58 @ 130 feet hovering - engine quit = Landing on tin roof one wheel going through, one blade dipping into a skylight/bent)

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
What would it look like for a gyroplane? Would the right lower red section apply?
There is no high speed, low altitude band on a gyro HV diagram (the lower red section). That region is perilous in a helicopter because you need to get it autorotating promptly and there is inadequate altitude from which to do that in that band (too little margin for response). In a gyroplane, you're already in autorotation if the engine quits there and no transition is necessary.

Saikrishna

hey there i would just like to know how to draw a h-v curve for a helicopter of my design ? what is the procedure ..GTOW=3000kg

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
hey there i would just like to know how to draw a h-v curve for a helicopter of my design ? what is the procedure ..GTOW=3000kg
Pretty sure they are developed by flight testing by real test-pilots when the manufacturer goes through getting a new design certificated. The US FAA has a Phase I flight test booklet that gives a little guidance on how to develop a flight test program for all homebuilt aircraft.

The link below is a college thesis done by a highly experienced US Army Warrant Officer on the subject of flight testing EAB helicopters. Page 114 ???starts talk about H/V diagram development.

[/URL]

Saikrishna

Pretty sure they are developed by flight testing by real test-pilots when the manufacturer goes through getting a new design certificated. The US FAA has a Phase I flight test booklet that gives a little guidance on how to develop a flight test program for all homebuilt aircraft.

The link below is a college thesis done by a highly experienced US Army Warrant Officer on the subject of flight testing EAB helicopters. Page 114 ???starts talk about H/V diagram development.

[/URL]

thanks for the share :)

Capt'n Gator

Aircraft
Dominator Single 582BH N401JC
Total Flight Time
150+
Bryan Who?????? Have not heard from that Cat in forever....Maybe it's his ghost...maybe he's been self isolating...Welcome back from the dark side....