Pegasus promotional video

That film was shot in the late 60s in Canada, when it was known as the Avian. The voice-over is recent. Joe Reinhard re-named the aircraft the Pegasus after he bought the remaining prototype and the type certificate. It's hangared at Hollister, California now.

It really is too bad this never made it into production. I think it would have been a very popular machine.

Sure liked the looks of that machine, but have always been concerned about sufficient control behind the rotor with a engine out, looks like it might like to swap ends real quick with a strong cross wind.

Tony

In the J-2 and the 18A I never, ever do a so-called "crosswind" landing (that is, ground path in one direction and wind in another). Just point it into the wind to land instead, so all you see is a headwind. If there's enough wind to worry about, you can land with no roll, and if there's no roll, you don't need to care about any difference in the way the wind and runway are aligned, because you won't be using up any runway.

I've watched other gyro pilots try airplane-style technique (even carrying extra speed), and it has always looked unnecessary and dangerous to me.

For better or worse, I doubt that the Avian's duct and rudder is significantly different in effectiveness from the tail surfaces on the 18A.