Pedal powered rotorcraft....technically :)

cbonnerup

More Senior Every Day
Aircraft
Building a Gyro, modified J4B2
Total Flight Time
12 hrs PP; others as available
Max 1HP continuous input ~ 800 watts, but only for a well-trained pilot and short time.
PHEW is correct. That's why God made IC engines.

Thomas

Gold Member
Aircraft
Bell 47.204.205.206.212, Hiller 12a, Hughes 300.500, Sikorsky S76, Cessna 150.210.310
Total Flight Time
Big Idea

Big Idea

Seems like they could find something better to do with their spare time. That is like building a ship in the basement and not able to get it out. Attach a prop to a bicycle frame under a blimp is a better idea.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Did Santos Dumont do something like that before he put a engine driven propellor on the airframe under a ballon ??

Tony

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
I see four rotorblades in ground effect that lift the pedal-powered machine off the gymnasium floor ..... nothing wrong with that .... i love what they have accomplished .... but my question is .... if the rotors were mounted above the booms would it lift off ????

I think not .... just a guess .... anyone have an opinion ? thanks. Ground effect is one thing .... powered rotors out of ground effect is something else .... esp. pedal powered.

I still really like the machine in the video ... and the organization of the ground crew who assisted ... I admire youth who attempt such things.

buckwill

same reason they built dragonfly, never meant to be practical,, but one more hurdle to challenge,, one more "never done before human powered before"

Rotor Rooter

Dave Jackson
Arnie,

Yes it is challenging endeavor. They are attempting to win Sikorsky's award of $250,000.00 for staying aloft for 1 minute and achieving an elevation of 3 meters at some point in the flight.

It shows the significant advantage for vertical flight to have a slow speed rotor combined with low disk loading. Of course, forward flight is another story.

De Bothezat claimed 25 lb per sq-ft for his GB-5, and this craft had a coaxial configuration. Moving the two rotors apart will increase the lift per sq-ft significantly more.

A slow speed rotor combined with low disk loading is particularly important for electric VTOL flight.

Dave