Parrots, anyone here own one?

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
well I recently moved to Asheboro with Cindi,about a mile from the house is a small petshop that has a lot of birds,the main one I like is an African Grey Parrot named Ruby, he is 16 years old and shy, but when he thinks he is alone he talks up a storm. parrots tend to bond with just one person and from the first day I was there, Cindi said the Ruby likes me.

I have been going over a lot working with these Bird to gain his trust.

would like to hear from others that have owned or own parrots and might have some good tips to offer. and yes so far I have been bitten twice buy Ruby,but not badly.

they said at the pet shop I will have to take a few bites before Ruby will trust me. .... ouch...lol

here is a video clip of an African Grey that shows just how smart these birds are.

* Einstein the famous talking African Grey Parrot! * - YouTube

Attachments

• 100_3962.jpg
    100_3962.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 100_3965.jpg
    100_3965.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3963.jpg
    100_3963.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_3961.jpg
    100_3961.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 4
My neighbor has one. It mimics a Dodge starter perfectly and the reverse beeper. Also the telephone.
You must be able to put up with a lot of noise if you own one.

Yes, I have an african grey and a double yellow head. had them around 25-30 years so far.

We got them at different times from abusive households. My grey must have been very close to a leaky stainless steel sink. Every once in a while I hear him dripping with the ringing of the metal.

I point my finger at him and say chk chk and he makes "pow" sound of a gun going off.

I have had him bite my sons hand and then he says "NO !" - aparently scolding himself.

They are very nervous birds that like to stay busy. That is why they like a lot of interaction to challenge them. My bird talks in my voice and my wife's.

He is mostly a closet talker, waiting til we are in the other room or walking away.

I have a story but to much writing (right now) for me. They can pick up sounds exactly-to the detail mentioned above. I tell them time to go nite nite and they go in their cages. The grey will even reach out and then pull the door closed.

I wished we didn't have the answering machine in the same room as him. Tired of thinking I missed a call when I stepped out to work in the garage.

He used to do a wierd irritating screech. Then - one day I was at my studio and pushed the chair back on wheels and I immediately realized where he got it from. I used to take them to work.

Those birds are amazingly smart and are very mischievious and comical. When I start snapping my fingers and ask him if he wants to rock and roll he starts making snapping sounds and doing a stevie wonder type head float.

Sometimes he'll let out a tune and I will whistle it back. If I do not - he repeats the whistle. Then I'll whistle it back but adding a little. It just gets longer and longer...

Thats almost all I can think of except NO CHOCOLATE. I have the birds at an intersection of the house everyone has to walk by, but near kitchen. They love to taste/eat pizza or whatever we are having. Their main food is pellets, some seed and we try to keep feeding them fruit like banannas.

Sometime I'll tell you how the bird almost killed our cat. It is not what you would think.

Enjoy your bird, the time you invest is worth it. They are so much more than people realize and they can become a part of your life for over well over 40 years depending on diet and type of parrot.

Last edited:
I forgot. A very cool thing to do is get a voice activated recorder and leave it in the room. That cuts out all the empty time and records when he starts jabbering. I was amazed at all the activity. That is how I knew he was listening and learning. He trusts us now and isn't as afraid to be more verbal now.

We have a gray and a yellow-nape. They both talk up a storm.

My borther had a sulfer crestes Cocatoo, should of named him buzz saw,$500 wodden window shutters tooth pick in 20 minutes

We have a "Quaker" He is a green color on the back and a grayish green on the bottom. He will talk all the time.He loves sunflower seed and captain crunch peanut butter cereal.
He flew in one day and attempted to land on my head,sure was a surprise! He will mimic the dog playing with a shake toy,the phone,even says hello when the phone rings. A self proclaimed "pretty boy" .Calls my daughters name and so much more.
His name is "Ernie"

Yes..I have a few of these little clowns also. The big one is a Blue front Amazon, named Baby. And two Nanday Conures, named Buddy(in the foreground) & Kiwi. I've had Baby for almost 25yrs, the Conures for 14yrs. I will confirm all the above statements! I have a spare bedroom we have converted into a aviary with a room sized cage housing their separate smaller cage's. With a houseful of cats, dogs and birds makes for some interesting noises and politics!!!

Attachments

• 10-2-10 001.jpg
    10-2-10 001.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 10-2-10 002.jpg
    10-2-10 002.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 2
I've come across quite a few of the different talking parrots with my job. One was mimicking my test meter. Every time my meter would beep it would make a beep. I also came across one who's owner had to do time in jail and she left it with some friends. When she got out and got her bird back it cussed like a sailor. I've heard some ring like a phone, make siren noises, etc. I've seen some homes that weren't messed up by them and I've seen other homes that had crap all over the place from them.

Parrots talk too much...I'm already married......well anyhow........ :D :D

my African gray "Gonzo" got off his perch and ate all the rubber buttons off the TV remote control.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Wow thanks for all the great replys, I just got back in from running arrands with Cindi. looks like several here have Parrot's.

Cindi use to have a Quaker, but her Ex made her get rid of it.

the African Gray I am looking at has been in the same cage in the pet shop for over 10 years and was not for sale until recently, still does not have a price listed, I just asked if it could be bought and he told me a price.

this Bird is pretty shy, but for some reason the first day it saw me, showed that is liked me. I have been back several more times playing with it. the only time it has bitten me was when I put my hand in the cage to try and get it to step up on my finger. both times was a very light bite, barely broke the skin.
yesterday I Took it some Crackers in the morning then later some french frys in the after noon. Ruby would take them from my hand and was very gentle when doing it.

a few things kind of concern me, not knowing much about birds,I did notice Ruby has plucked a bunch for his belly feathers and some times shakes like he is nervous, of course in the pet shop i am thinking he probably is nervoise since people come in all the time pokeing at him.

what I am wondering is, how he will adjust to being away from the pet shop. his wings are not clipped but he does not try and fly away. in fact most the time stays inside his cage. they did say when there are not people in the store he will climb out on top of his cage.

right now I am just trying to win his trust and get to where he will climb up on my finger and leave my finger..lol

any tips on winning his trust would be great.

thanks for all the replys, the more I read and see about these birds just amazes me.

I forgot. A very cool thing to do is get a voice activated recorder and leave it in the room. That cuts out all the empty time and records when he starts jabbering. I was amazed at all the activity. That is how I knew he was listening and learning. He trusts us now and isn't as afraid to be more verbal now.

Cool that sounds like a good Idea, I bet the pet shop owner would not mind if I left one there some time after they close to see what Ruby does say.

I do know one time,he thought he was alone as we where all in the back of the store. and he started making phone noises, dog barks, cats, other birds, even siad the name of the store and answering machine beeps. I think in a quiter place away from the store he may really open up.

I am not going to try and buy him until I know I can handle him some and not lose a finger.
so far his bite barely broke the skin, so I know they are not mean attack bites.

Yes..I have a few of these little clowns also. The big one is a Blue front Amazon, named Baby. And two Nanday Conures, named Buddy(in the foreground) & Kiwi. I've had Baby for almost 25yrs, the Conures for 14yrs. I will confirm all the above statements! I have a spare bedroom we have converted into a aviary with a room sized cage housing their separate smaller cage's. With a houseful of cats, dogs and birds makes for some interesting noises and politics!!!
I have heard the Amozon's are pretty moody and crazy at times, there is one listed in Criagslist now for $200.00 with cage. thought about getting it, but a lady I know that has 3 parrots advised me not to get it.

when Cindi saw the photo of it she said it looked like it had an attitude.
here is a pic of it. the guy did say he had not been handling it as much as it needed to be and it has gotten feisty.

Attachments

• 3n43p63l65Z15X15R2b9h8d4bd666d3351558.jpg
    3n43p63l65Z15X15R2b9h8d4bd666d3351558.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
We have found they are particularly effective when trolled at 5 mph, 50ft off the boat,
about 10ft depth. Only kittens draw more strikes...

So what you are trying to tell me, who needs a plastic teaser, if you have a parrot...

Any suggestions which parrot breed I should use for Sailfish? I'm now using Williamson Birds.......

making progress

making progress

Well today I made some progress, Ruby came to me and climbed up on my hand.and yes I still have all my fingers.

I have been told this bird does not like very many people,so I feel good that I have won Ruby's trust.

Now to see if I can get the money to buy him.

Attachments

• 100_3978.jpg
    100_3978.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 100_3973.jpg
    100_3973.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 100_3976.jpg
    100_3976.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 10