Parrots, anyone here own one?

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Tim you don't win their trust. They either like you or not. There is no rime or reason in this decision the bird makes. Like I have already said; this is probably your bird. See if you can make a down payment to hold the bird for you.

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
My daughter brought my Conure up one day and asked me to tame Jake. I told her I would. It took me a week. I didn't know until the end of that week the bird had two previous abusive owners. I did know he was very protective of his cage. He was not an aviary raised bird. He wS not hand fed. He would nail any one that put their finger near him. I placed him on a wooden dowel then gave the dowel to my daughter. He walked down the dowel to where my daughter was holding it and bit her drawing blood. I reached down to pick him up and he bit me but not hard. I stroked him to calm him down and life for him was good again. He knew it was me and was ok again. Now Tim when my daughter brought this bird to me he had plucked all his chest and back feathers out some of his wing feathers. He was the ugliest birds I have ever seen. He now has all of his feather. He doesn't pluck feathers at all any more. I can do almost anything with him. He is my bird. He will still nail anyone that comes near his cage. He is a one person bird. I really Worry about him if something happened to me. He has bonded.

Last edited:

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Tim you don't win their trust. They either like you or not. There is no rime or reason in this decision the bird makes. Like I have already said; this is probably your bird. See if you can make a down payment to hold the bird for you.
yes,that is what I plan to do, they don't have a price listed for him and said they would not sell him to just anybody.

I have already talked to the store owner and they have a lay away program where I can make payments to buy him, he would stay there till paid off and they charge a $5.00 feeding fee.

I am going to see if i can sell my Welder or my M-1 Carbine to get the money for him.
I think Ruby will be a fun life time fiend. I have already been told Ruby will out live me.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
My daughter brought my Conure up one day and asked me to tame Jake. I told her I would. It took me a week. I didn't know until the end of that week the bird had two previous abusive owners. I did know he was very protective of his cage. He was not an aviary raised bird. He wS not hand fed. He would nail any one that put their finger near him. I placed him on a wooden dowel then gave the dowel to my daughter. He walked down the dowel to where my daughter was holding it and bit her drawing blood. I reached down to pick him up and he bit me but not hard. I stroked him to calm him down and life for him was good again. He knew it was me and was ok again. Now Tim when my daughter brought this bird to me he had plucked all his chest and back feathers out some of his wing feathers. He was the ugliest birds I have ever seen. He now has all of his feather. He doesn't pluck feathers at all any more. I can do almost anything with him. He is my bird. He will still nail anyone that comes near his cage. He is a one person bird. I really Worry about him if something happened to me. He has bonded.
Wow,that is pretty cool how he has bonded with you like that.
I am really Happy that Ruby has bonded with me, from the first day i saw Ruby, my GF Cindi ( who has had several birds before ) said that Ruby must have liked me when he came up to the side of the cage and put his head down for me to rub.

at that time I knew very little about birds, much less Parrots, I only knew the African gray was a very smart bird.
I thought Cindi was just trying to tease me when she said the Bird liked me, but the Next time we went to the shop, the store owner was there and commented about how the sales girl had told him about how Ruby acted with me and told me that was very rare. I asked him how would I know for sure if the Bird liked me, and he told me, thrust me you would know and that Ruby would have made it clear in uncertain terms.

a few times a few customers came in and Ruby would go to the back of his cage, as soon as they left he would be right up to me again.

I really am going to try and get Ruby now that I know he is not going to try and eat me now.

I am still being very careful as I know how powerful that beak is.

I talked to Jon carlton today for over and hour, his wife is a bird vet and he gave me a lot of good info and pointers, in fact it was him that said I needed to see what Ruby would do away from his cage.
when I told the sales girl about that, she said her and the store owner both wanted to see how Ruby would react away from his cage.

I am happy to say I still have my fingers.. :)

I plan to work with Ruby more every few days and at the same time work on getting the money up to get him.

he seems to need a less stressful home.

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
I continue to be "amazed" at the personalities of these birds. Who would have thought ?

Thom - I didnt know you were a "bird man" too. Cool Story.

Animal - I am betting that bird will work up to your shoulder perch in no time. Hope you get him (her?). .... just what you need Tim ...... another girl in your life ... :)

dragonflyerthom

Platinum Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE
Total Flight Time
183FW 132Gyro
Yep he is a lif long friend. It is because of the bonding that they will stay close even if they escape. But you will still need to keep his wings clipped. For his safety and your investment. They don't giventheir affection to just any one. Jake is loud in the early mornings and evenings you might want to give him his own room for his cage. Jake also loves attention. When I'm talking on the phone he will get loud if he thinks I should be petting him instead. If he is inside the house and loose which is rare he will come looking for me. He loves shoulders and my ears. Well you get the picture. They are not dogs but you can train them. Good luck Tim hope you get him.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
thanks Thom and Arnie, I will keep ya posted on how things go with getting Ruby and or just how things go with working with him until I can get him.

something tells me this Bird is a lot smarter then he is letting on at the pet store.

I can't wait to see what he will say when he gets use to thing away from the pet store.

Sheldon

Subscribe to bird talk magazine, they have lots of good articles. The dangers of broken blood feathers, proper nutrition, training , bottom line they can starve on bird seed, and they need attention and to bond with someone.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
We have a "Quaker" He is a green color on the back and a grayish green on the bottom. He will talk all the time.He loves sunflower seed and captain crunch peanut butter cereal.
He flew in one day and attempted to land on my head,sure was a surprise! He will mimic the dog playing with a shake toy,the phone,even says hello when the phone rings. A self proclaimed "pretty boy" .Calls my daughters name and so much more.
His name is "Ernie"
Hi Bud, well Last Night My girl Friend Cindi and I picked up a Quaker, his name is JJ, he is 12 years old and his owner passed away 3 months ago.

he had been fed only sunflower seeds and bird seed that looks like the kind you get at the grocery store for wild birds.

Cindi already got him some Parrot food and yep I gave him a few bits of captain crunch and a few peanuts.

when Cindi gave the bird the Parrot food, he went to it like it was his last meal.

will post some pics of him soon.

I am still working on getting Ruby, the African Gray.

but the Quaker is a lot of fun so far.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Subscribe to bird talk magazine, they have lots of good articles. The dangers of broken blood feathers, proper nutrition, training , bottom line they can starve on bird seed, and they need attention and to bond with someone.
Thanks for the Advice Sheldon,I picked up a few books on differant types of Parrots and I am reading as much as I can about them.

Cindi Just got a Quaker,that had been on pretty much only sunflower seeds, he seems ok except plucked his feathes around his neck. poor birds owner of 12 years passed away 3 months ago. so i know he is stressed.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
I have a quaker small parrot
Cindi and I just got one last night, he knows how to purr like a cat, bark like a dog and last night when I turned the lights out it said nighty night... that suprised both me and Cindi. going to be fun to see what else he knows how to say.

his former owner that died was a smoker, and the girl said he was trained to pull a cig. from the pack... second hand smoke sure can't be good for him.

last night he was making a coughing sound, when Cindi told me about the cig. trick,I figured out why.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Update parrots

Update parrots

Well, as of last night I now own a cool older African Grey Parrot, this could not be a better bird for a pilot, the owners lived under the CLT approach pattern and he mimmick the sounds of a jet landing... now to teach him to mimick Stans helicycle.... heck that won't take long as many of Stan's videos I watch. he will have that down in no time...lmao

We have gone to the birds, Cindi has a Quaker parrot and a Goffin's Cockatoo and Now I have the African Grey. my grey is kind of beat up and rough looking... kind of like his owner..lol

Attachments

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Lovely!

Lovely!

That's so cool Tim. I was out fencing this morn & one of the random thoughts flashing thru my brain was wondering how you were going with your parrot adoption - in fact I was going to post a??? on this thread when I got in!
Ha - there you go with pictures too! Very neat. My brother has a couple of parrots - they are very unique pets!
Enjoy & await more comments on your new family members.
Thanks

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Chris, the funny part is this bird has the same name as the one at the pet store.
last night he flew out of his cage and twice I was able to get him to step up onto my arm. not bad since I did not get to spend much time with him yesterday.

I am just taking it slow with the new Bird and letting him get use to his new home.

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
African Greys are cool birds. I had a Nanday Conure, until my 10' Python broke out of his cage and ate it!
man that sucks, yep a python will go out of it's way to eat a bird of any type.

I bet that Conure was a noisy bird.

I have been working with my grey more today, so far he has not bitten me, the people that had him last where affraid to handle him. but when he flys out of the cage, he will step right up on my arm.

Attachments

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
new can opener..lol Ruby having fun shredding a roaster pan.

new can opener..lol Ruby having fun shredding a roaster pan.

I got Ruby my Congo African Grey a roaster pan to hopefully take a bath in.

he decided he would rather shred it then take a bath in it..lol

Now if he could learn to cut a pattern I would not need tin snips.

I made him a chew toy from new paint can stir sticks the other day and he made tooth picks of then in one day..lol

African Grey Parrot,Ruby the tin snips..lol.mov - YouTube

Oh he has also since now getting more use to us, getting vocal, he like to make the sound of a Fart..lol and several other strange sounds, he also likes to ring a bell on the side of his cage when he wants a snack.

Bud, Cindi's Cockatoo, is way to spoiled, this is one sweet bird.

Attachments

Last edited:

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
We had a double yellowhead Amazon parrot when I was growing up, a mature bird we somehow acquired from the previous owner.
He was often rather ornery, but had his nice moments. He mimicked many things, but really enjoyed screaming my name at the top of his little lungs. He used to call for the cat with a very cute "Heeeere, kitty, kitty! "

When I was in college, I happened into a huge mall's pet store. An open-topped sort of aquarium was surrounded by people with their arms inside. Curious, I went over to see. They were all petting and tickling a beautiful military macaw which was chortling happily on his back. I'd never seen a friendlier bird. The bird's name was "Caesar" and if I'd had the $2500 in my pocket then I probably would have bought him. Macaws live a long time, and Caesar is probably still alive and a joy to somebody today.

Last edited:

diadave

Aircraft
brock kb2
Hi We had both an an African grey and a typinah,(a smaller version of sa grey nut differen