Paraplegic serious about flying

sm1th

Hi everyone!

My name is Joshua, I'm 24 and I'm from New Brunswick, Canada. I became a paraplegic in a car accident when I was 8. I've been dreaming of flying for quite some time, but now I want to stop dreaming and start doing!

I've done some research and I've decided I want to fly gyroplanes. Obviously, like most aircraft, there are foot pedals which I cannot control, and so I need hand controls.

Now I've done some looking around and I haven't found any "legit" hand controls for gyros, but I found a thread on this forum which proves that paraplegics have flown them before: https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/gyro-for-handicapped-training-use.47959/

And so I am determined to fly. Even if it wasn't done before, I would be the first :). But I will be reliant on the help of others to design and create the controls.

If anyone knows any paras who have flown gyros (or is one!), I would love to talk with you.

God bless,
Joshua

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Howdy Joshua, welcome !
Yes, this situation has been discussed and it sounds like a paraplegic in Europe has implemented the necessary controls.
Your problem will be training; I think you're gonna have to modify a machine and then find an instructor to fly in it with you.
Fortunately, trainers have dual controls.
You just have to modify one set of the controls to fit your needs. That might take some pondering.
Egress would seem to be problematic as well.
I wish you luck in this endeavor; you'll be quite inspirational if you can get it done !!
Brian

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Welcome Joshua.

I love your can-do attitude. You've come to the right place, as there are a lot of ingenious folks here with practical knowledge. If it can be done it will be. I have no doubt methods will be found, designed and fabricated to suit your needs. A few CAD/CAM guys on here as well, myself included. Have you flown in a gyro before? If not then I recommend attending a fly-in. Also, is your goal to build one or purchase?

A good friend of mine shares your condition and he's a race car driver. I've helped with items on his car that needed easier access/control to accommodate his limited mobility. Not sure you're aware yet, but in the time it took you to post your first message, you've just gained a huge support group that will help you reach your goal.

Regards,

Brian (the other one)

Illini85

Joshua
Welcome and good luck. A gyro is a good platform for the modification necessary to meet your needs. A linkage to the rudders for hand control would be an easy mod. on most of todays modern designs. If it would include a hand operated squeeze type throttle I think you could be there,

DaveJaksha

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
Joshua,

just to show you what can be done I introduce you to Jessica Cox.
Jessica is the world's first licensed armless pilot. She was born without
arms due to a rare birth defect. Jessica has a 1946 Ercoupe (N26R) that
she keeps at Ryan field, outside of Tucson, AZ.
She controls the yoke while the other foot controls the throttle. If you are not
familiar with Jessica, below is a link to a YouTube video about
her.

I’m sure you will get several solutions to your hands only gyro.

Cheers,

Dave

DaveJaksha

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex
Total Flight Time
Schmoe90,

I get a 403 error when trying to open that link.

Dave

schmoe90

Magni M-16 Sport Pilot
Aircraft
Magni M-16
unnamed.jpg

The silver lever is the pre-rotator, the black lever is the brake, and there's a twist grip for the throttle. The silver thing on top holds the PTT for the radio, and the trim hat.