Panel Design

JJ Campbell

I'm daydreaming about my future Calidus or AR1C panel design. I am leaning towards iFly 740b with MGL Vega & Blaze Color Singles.

Suggestions on which 3" and 2" gauges to purchase would be greatly appreciated!

XXavier

Aircraft
FW Savannah XL + ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
1394 FW + 526 gyro (Oct. 2019)
I'm daydreaming about my future Calidus or AR1C panel design. I am leaning towards iFly 740b with MGL Vega & Blaze Color Singles.

Suggestions on which 3" and 2" gauges to purchase would be greatly appreciated!
I strongly recommend these 3" digital instruments from MGL Avionics. The altimeter includes a very clear variometer. Both instruments can be set to use diverse units, such as knots, feet, meters, km/h... Their main advantage is that they can be read much faster than conventional, analog units.

Captura de pantalla 2019-08-25 a las 14.54.03.png

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
JJ, sorry that you are not getting more responses.
You asked for suggestions immediately after the biggest, best airshow at Oshkosh; I've seen TONS of every imaginable instrument there.
If you didn't go and you are close to deciding on instruments........ that was a mistake.
If you are an EAA member, the monthly magazine always has many, many advertisements for instruments and many panel pictures.
Brian

JJ Campbell

Smack, I am not close to purchase time. I am close to being ready to take my fixed-wing practical. After finally achieving that goal, I will immediately start transition training for the gyro endorsement. When I get endorsed for gyro, the purchase of a gyro becomes my number one priority.

I'd love to see more avionics in the bright sunlight. My only experience in looking at gyro avionics is seeing the factory standard setup at the Autogyro facility at Bay Bridge airport in Maryland. Unimpressive...

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
Here is the panel I am installing on my SportCopter. I am using the MGL Blaze Color gauges as well as their EMS display for my engine. I also have the MGL radio and a Trig Transponder w/ADS-B Out. Mind you, nothing is wired up yet. I just got to the point of getting the panel onto the gyro, and seeing how everything fitted. Still a ways to go.....

My Sportcopter Panel.jpgPod Side View.jpg

Terry_Smith

Gyroplane Fan
Aircraft
Building a Sportcopter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
3 - Some training and glider time
I'll be happy to let you know - will be some time yet. Once I get the panel powerd up, I'll send a picture of the panel in sunlight outside to show readability.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I strongly recommend these 3" digital instruments . . . Their main advantage is that they can be read much faster than conventional, analog units.
Interesting -- I have the opposite preference. I find it much easier to detect trend information from glancing at a moving needle on an analog display than seeing a blur of changing digits (even if the internal workings are digital I would prefer an analog display). It's also why I like analog clock faces; I can get a more rapid idea of how long it is to the next hour with just a glance at a clock with hands than by looking at a digital clock. There's slightly less mental work for me in interpreting analog information.

JJ Campbell

Interesting -- I have the opposite preference. I find it much easier to detect trend information from glancing at a moving needle on an analog display than seeing a blur of changing digits (even if the internal workings are digital I would prefer an analog display). It's also why I like analog clock faces; I can get a more rapid idea of how long it is to the next hour with just a glance at a clock with hands than by looking at a digital clock. There's slightly less mental work for me in interpreting analog information.
ALT-5_all.jpg
The above is what one of the MGL altimeters looks like. To me, it is more like a hybrid analog/digital giving the best of both worlds.

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Modern automobile speedometers are a good example of digital internals driving analog displays.

XXavier

Aircraft
FW Savannah XL + ELA R-100 and Magni M24 autogyros
Total Flight Time
1394 FW + 526 gyro (Oct. 2019)
When the factory delivered my gyro, I didn't like at all the digital instruments, and let them know that I wasn't expecting that and didn't like it, but they told me that they had changed the standards of the certificate of type, and that the instruments had to be digital, like it or not...

The fact is that, after a couple of hours of flight time, I found them much better than the 'old' analog instruments...