Palos Verdes Trip

PeterFromLA

Aircraft
American Ranger AR-1, Kallithea
Total Flight Time
400+
Looks like a lot of good ridge soaring along that coast, it must be popular for hang gliding.
Really no good places to launch... Lots of local restrictions... and a bit of nativism, keep non-locals away.

okikuma

Another wonderful video Peter. If more people move to SoCal because of your videos, we know whom to blame! LOL

Wolfy, Peter is correct. Vast majority of the property in PV is privately owned. Sometime in the late 60s or early 70s, some hang gliders tried to fly in the area but that didn't last.

BTW Peter, come to the EAA Chapter 40's Hanger on Saturday 21 August . We're having our annual BBQ. Starts at noon. Display your gyro.

Wayne

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
I do enjoy your videos.
My friend Wayne is correct about people wanting to move to CA seeing its beauty in your videos.

It has it all. The year-round Weather, Ocean, Mountains, Deserts, a foreign country with few taxes, and Fiestas.

In reality, for the 1st time in CA's history, -800K middle-class families a year are moving out of CA.
Always looking for the silver lining = Means fewer people on the beach and for those investigating to move here. Once they see the prices of housing is 5 to 10 times more as is CA's cost of living.

Only the rich and those on welfare can afford to live in CA. If they are rich it means they can afford a modern gyroplane and instruction = means more rotorheads.

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
The CA middle-class's community rotorcraft good news is, PRA 31 has a solution to make gyroplanes one of the most affordable aircraft to lean in and fly.

Chapter 31 San Diego Rotorcraft Club is building a small fleet of Club/member co-owned gyroplanes allowing lower social-economic groups to learn to fly and then can share expenses flying them for at least one hour a weekend. Excluding the donated cost of the originally purchased aircraft make it almost as affordable as paying for a SeaDos fuel for a weekend.

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
I do enjoy your videos.
My friend Wayne is correct about people wanting to move to CA seeing its beauty in your videos.

It has it all. The year-round Weather, Ocean, Mountains, Deserts, a foreign country with few taxes, and Fiestas.

In reality, for the 1st time in CA's history, -800K middle-class families a year are moving out of CA.
Always looking for the silver lining = Means fewer people on the beach and for those investigating to move here. Once they see the prices of housing is 5 to 10 times more as is CA's cost of living.

Only the rich and those on welfare can afford to live in CA. If they are rich it means they can afford a modern gyroplane and instruction = means more rotorheads.
John, not 800,000, 05/21 state officials announced in 2020 182,00 left the state, your stating facts incorrectly. Have to keep you honest!!!!!!!!!!!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
John, not 800,000, 05/21 state officials announced in 2020 182,00 left the state, your stating facts incorrectly. Have to keep you honest!!!!!!!!!!!
REGARDLESS it is a net loss for the first time in our history and CA counts illegals as moving here we are on the border I suspect that of the 1.4 million recorded it must have added how many hundreds of thousands to CA population distorting the statistics at this time in history?? Few of the non-skilled medium-wage migrants are going to buy a gyro or learn to fly except maybe at Chapter 31.
If they have a skill that employers need they can get a Work visa and not have to cross illegally and can buy an aircraft. This is just basic economics and lying with statistics to reduce the number of middle-class fleeing CA's high cost of living.

You may be right about the current statistics, I've not researched it since I was locked in a dungeon trying to publish a website. First in June 2020 writing it and then on 12/31/2020 when I really disappeared from here too trying to publish it.
But it was a net loss of -800K for more than two years for the first time in our history.

I still have no time to look it up on the gov sites.

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I was trying to share good news for rotorcraft sales.
Historically for all of my life, the numbers used to be that millions would move out each year but they were replaced with a NET INCREASE of the SAME class of social-economic groups.
This point and the good news for gyroplane CFI's, FBO's, and Sales is = The middle-class is the main social-economic group finding it harder and harder to afford to live here and today it is being replaced by a net increase in the rich social-economic group because they can afford to move here and buy a gyroplane.

However, the largest social-economic group moving here is probably the poor and they are welcome at PRA 31 and Rotor Adventures.

Last edited:

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
That was a great ride Peter Thank you.

I really loved going to LA , my younger son who works for Delta was based in LA for a couple of years and lived in El Segundo by the airport. I had friends out in Palos Verdes who lived in Arrowroot lane near Smugglers Cove. Played golf with him on the course looking out over the sea.

I flew out of Zamperini and took my wife over to Catalina Island in a 172 and sampled their unique approach uphill. Had my first trial flight in a Robinson from there.

When my eldest son was doing his Airline Transport Pilots Licence in the UK I brought him over to do some IFR training and we flew out of Burbank. Years earlier flying in Executive I visited Long Beach in our BAC 111 when our first 727 was being outfitted there..

So many happy memories. It is a very beautiful place.

PeterFromLA

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
400+
Hello Peter, yes at KWHP. Meeting starts around 0930 inside the CAP building, BBQ at the hanger.

See you there!

Wayne
I saw the crowd, but had places to go... Next time... Thank you for the invite.

okikuma

Hello Peter,

You're welcome for the invite and always welcome to visit and join anytime.

When I arrived on the airfield, I did look down your side of hanger row Foxtrot to see if you were present. While I was inside the EAA hanger, one of our members said they could see you taxing to the runway. By the time I was able to get outside, you were too far away to get your attention.

BTW, every 4th Saturday of every month is our EAA Chapter 40 Young Eagles flights. Would you be interested in giving Young Eagle Flights in your gyroplane?

Let me know.

Thank

Wayne

PeterFromLA

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
400+
BTW, every 4th Saturday of every month is our EAA Chapter 40 Young Eagles flights. Would you be interested in giving Young Eagle Flights in your gyroplane?

Let me know.
I will have to see what this entails. I love introducing other people to gyroplanes, just have to do it in a "controlled" way... :)