outdoor tie-down storage

blw2

Aircraft
C120, C140, C150, C152, C172, C172RG, C182, C182RG, C177RG, 7ACBM, M20, PA-23, PA-28, B777 sim clD
Total Flight Time
What to do if there's no chance at a hanger?

dreaming about maybe getting a gyro some day, and watching some videos of the AR-1 (just as an example)...and I got to thinking about I(F I were to buy one where would I store it?
- My local airport (KSGJ) has a very very long waiting list for hangars.
- I have no idea really, how likely it might be to find someone willing to let me share a little space in their hangar.
- I've thought off an on for a long while now about various trailing options.... but that means a fair bit of work, setting up and taking down for storage...not to mention paying for an off site storage lot space since I couldn't stow it in my neighborhood....all just added time I don't have...
- I suspect I could get outdoor tiedown space, and that's probably what I'd have to do if I end up picking up a little cessna or something...

Anyway, these gyros don't really seem like they'd fair all that well outdoors, even with some sort of nice cover....
Just looking for your thoughts

Faced with a similar situation regarding wait lists for hangers, I purchased a trailer large enough to hold my Auto Gyro MTO - and leave the rotor on. I use a tie-down at the airport to park the trailer. Roll the gyro in, roll it out - simple. If I decide to change airports - just move the trailer.

Attachments

• new_home.jpg
    new_home.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 29
  • Trailer-truck.jpg
    Trailer-truck.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 29
Faced with a similar situation regarding wait lists for hangers, I purchased a trailer large enough to hold my Auto Gyro MTO - and leave the rotor on. I use a tie-down at the airport to park the trailer. Roll the gyro in, roll it out - simple. If I decide to change airports - just move the trailer.
Did you order your trailer from one of the Georgia manufacturers?
smiles,
Charles

No, it was manufactured by Discovery Trailers in Elkhart, IN. They only sell through dealers. I ordered mine from Trailers Midwest in Elkhart, IN.
I worked with Dustin to spec it just like I wanted it. He was great to work with. I checked out the GA manufacturers but didn't like the reviews and the specs weren't as good. Very happy with the trailer I got. Let me know if you want specifics

nice....all the benefits of a mobile solution, but without the time required to tow when you're going local.

I can't imagine them letting a trailer park on the ramp at my local airport though!

There are usually large community hangers where small space for gyro can be rented or end of t-hanger works well for gyro. I found most places don’t want to talk to you about renting unless you have the plane ready to put in a hanger.

Wondering when airports will do what marinas did and going 2 stories up for plane hangars. Heck, we have car vending machines!

Wondering when airports will do what marinas did and going 2 stories up for plane hangars. Heck, we have car vending machines!
yeah, good question....but form what I have seen airports rarely run out of land area. The airport I'd be basing out of if I ever get something has a long hangar waiting list but it seems like they have a lot of room left. I don't really understand why they don't built a lot more. No need in my estimation to go up...not yet anyway.

My airport (BKX) was fine with it. Many airports let gliders stored inside their trailers stay on-site. It never hurts to ask - that's what I did.