Our Adventures on the Wauchula Loop!

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Mark Given Creation Called "The Predator"
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Our Adventures on the Wauchula Loop

Tuesday April 7th 2009

We started out on Tuesday refreshed and ready for travel! This is going to be a GREAT adventure for me.( a girl who has hardly traveled in all her 44 years of age )

As we headed out I tuned in to find out what was happening with our local weather and traffic report to see what was in store for us on the road. The local weather said chance of thunder showers for our area.

Officer Rude (yes that's really his name!)gave traffic report that there was a motorcycle accident out highway 166 no ambulance on scene at that point so drive through with extreme caution. Santa Barbara traffic though was running smoothly which was the direction we were going…yeah!

It felt like we were getting flight following for traffic and weather observation from Lockheed Martin the same , but different. As we headed out the traffic wasn’t bad at all. We made our way through Santa Barbara uneventful. We stopped at Vance’s favorite Presto Pasta in Camarillo which was quite yummy!

Vance kept trying to get Mr. Mayfield on the phone in hopes of having Dinner with him and his lovely wife Doris, but no luck. Mr. Mayfield ended up calling Vance back, unfortunately he had a prior commitment so they couldn’t meet with us. He and Vance chatted for quite a while talking about what else but….Flying!
So Vance kind of got his “Mayfield Fix”

Vance enjoys chatting with people who are as enthusiastic about flying as he is…that would definitely describe Mr. Mayfield. He has a romance with flight the goes way beyond simple love for flight than most. I think it’s a very rare thing to have most people don’t get it , but Vance does hence their “Special Friendship!”

So plans changed we headed straight for a Hotel in Tucson to get a good nights sleep and will head for the Pima Air Museum Wednesday morning. Oh yeah I forgot…I took pictures…LOL. So when we got to the hotel I downloaded all of them to Flickr.

I just love the Saguaro Cactus so there are a lot of pictures of them! The pictures were taken on Tuesday. The Saguaro Cactus is pronounced Sah-Wah-Roh yeah I know doesn’t spell that way does it! It is however the State Flower of Arizona.

The Saguaro Cactus is a large, tree-sized cactus species. It is native to the Sonoran Desert in Arizona, the Mexican states of Sonora & Baja California, and an extremely small area of California.

The common name of the cactus, saguaro, is a Spanish-language adaptation of a word used by a local aboriginal American nation, the Tohono O'odham for the plant. Saguaros have a relatively long life span. They take up to 75 years to develop a side arm.

The arms themselves are grown to increase the plant's reproductive capacity (more apices equal more flowers and fruit). The growth rate of saguaros is strongly dependent on local precipitation patterns, and saguaros in drier western Arizona grow only half as fast as those in and around Tucson, Arizona.

Some specimens may live for more than 150 years; the champion saguaro grows in Maricopa County, Arizona and is 13.8 meters (45.3 ft) tall with a girth of 3.1 meters (10 ft). (It was injured as a result of the Cave Creek Complex Fire in June 2005.) In addition to being slow growing, they are also slow to propagate. They are so protected that harming one in any manner (including cactus plugging) is illegal by state law in Arizona, and when houses or highways are built, special permits must be obtained to move or destroy any saguaro affected.
It was pretty cool driving through a valley of them they looked like soldiers banding together to guard their precious desert.

Wednesday April 8th, 2009

On Wednesday are pictures from the Pima Air Museum. On Wednesday morning we struggled to rise early and headed for the Museum which was approximately 3 miles from our hotel. On the road next to the Museum was the Interstate 10 you could see what I like to call Moby Dick of the desert , but the Museum calls it the Super Guppy. Damn that thing is HUGE!

As we the entered the museum Vance gave me the quick tour and headed to address his agenda. We arranged to meet at noon for lunch. There was so much to take in and we had little time to do it in. the museum opened at 9am and we needed to leave by 1pm. I felt like we were at the starting gate of a horse race as Vance skittered off to look at engine I was looking for anything unusual and unique (I hate to miss a photo opportunity!)

The Pima Air & Space Museum is one of the largest aviation Museums in the world, and the largest non-government funded aviation Museum in the United States. The Museum maintains a collection of more than 275 aircraft and spacecraft from around the globe, including many rare and one-of-a-kind, and more than 125,000 artifacts. Here I walked among the giants of our aviation heritage, including military, commercial, and civil aviation. Among them are a B-29 Superfortress, the SR-71 Blackbird, and a rare World War II German V-1 "buzz bomb."

Their collection includes President John F. Kennedy's Air Force One, and presidential aircraft used by president's Nixon and Johnson. I have pictures of both Aircrafts. As I stepped on board Airforce One I almost immediately felt claustrophobic the quarters were very crampped compared to todays Airforce One.

The Museum has five large hangars totaling more than 177,000 feet of exhibit space. In addition, the 390th Bombardment Group (Heavy) Memorial Museum is located on the Museum grounds. Pima Air & Space maintains its own aircraft restoration center. They offer exclusive tours of the Aerospace Maintenance and Regeneration Group (AMARG), also known as the "Boneyard," located across the street at Davis-Monthan Air Force Base.

Vance called me on the phone to tell me where to meet him for lunch. We met place our order and waited for lunch. While we waited there were a lot of pretty little birds being very brave coming up very close to us hoping for tidbits of food to be tossed their way. Our order was up so I went and picked it up as soon as I sat back down at our table Vance says to me "what kind of critter do you think that is??

I thought to myself it looks like maybe a chipmunk this little critter came right up to me and openly begged (don't believe me? check out my photos!) So I broke off a bit of my grilled cheese sandwich and want ed to see if he woulds take it from my hand...he did he sat right there in front of us munching it down then left...not long a Momma critter came along and begged for some too, I couldn't resist they were so cute!

Vance went inside to ask one of the ladies what exactly was the critter just outside their door and she said it's a ground squirrel! I said what the hell happened to his tail? LOL So there is also wildlife and the local vegetation in my photos as well. Vance and I parted again for one last quick glance before we had to leave.

The photos I took are a little random, but I was in a hurry to make the most of my time.
Finally it was coming up on 1:00 and the Air Museum is enormous so I needed to hustle to get back to the car on time to meet Vance.

It was 2:30 in the afternoon when Vance asked me if I would like to drive. I said “sure” he wanted to take a little cat nap. I hopped in the car and buckled up ready to take on New Mexico! The winds were gusting like crazy…this made me realize the challenges Vance has when he flies.

The struggle to keep the vehicle on the road was difficult. I almost woke Vance up to take back over the driving it was that bad. So much so that there was a dust devil about 20’ in diameter coming alongside us. I was afraid we would get sandblasted so I floored it and we just missed it, man was it nasty! Well I made it through without waking up Vance...he needed the sleep.

Vance slept until 3:45, he woke a little slowly, but seemed a little more refreshed. He then started scrolling through his phone looking for something he finally found it and attempted to call the number, he didn't get through. But a few minutes later his phone rang and Vance said "Hello Rocky!"

Yup Rocky-me-lad. Vance let him know we would be in his area in about an hour and would he like to meet us for dinner. Rocky said "yes" this made Vance's day. According to Vance last year he tried to make plans meeting up with Rocky, but had no luck Rocky is a busy boy. Any opportunity to talk Autogiros...LOL

We arrive at the favorite B-B-Q place Vance wanted to eat at, but no Rocky yet.
Yes he did show! We had a very nice dinner chatting with Rocky. He's currently work on his The Desert Bee and is also working on building a tractor and this is one hard working guy...he has a day job too! I enjoyed meeting Rocky seemed like meeting an old friend.

So we were back on the road again it was getting dark and I had discovered a new way of taking picture at night that I had been experimenting with so I was clicking away with my camera when we came upon the boarder patrol. Well another photo opportunity I thought Vance says take one of the officer that is inspecting, I thought ok...no big deal..right? NOT

I started taking pictures without the flash on because it was so bright I figured I didn't need it, but I did. I asked Vance do you think I should turn on my cameras flash? Yea why not say Vance. I'll tell you why not the moment i took a picture of the guy he flashed his government regulated facility and we cannot allow you to take photos of this flashlight at me and shook his head no.

When it was our turn to be inspected and interrogated he said "Mamm I gonna have to ask you to delete all the photos you have taken here. I understand your on a trip and this is all a part of the experience but we are a government run facility and we are not allowed to have people take pictures of this facility. Now I need to observe you deleting them now." I said "Yes Sir no problem!" Oh my gosh how embarrassing....geezzz. Then we were back on the road again.

Thursday April 9th, 2009

It was time for us to hit the road again. Vance wanted to leave at what he calls leaving at O' Dark Hundred in other words 5am...arrgghhh! Oh well...I'm game I got up, got dressed, shoved my stuff in the car and we headed out. Vance told me if I felt like it I could try to sleep for a while. I did it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Though while I was sleeping I dreamed I was driving down the road with my pillow propped up against the window and a cop spotted me driving while I was sleeping...right at that moment Vance woke me up!

Guess that was just as well. He wanted to let me know we would be stopping soon to grab a quick bite to eat and hustle back on the road again. I told him about my dream I was having just before he woke me up...he thought it was funny until...
Then Vance says "Oh there a police officer behind us...uh oh and it looks like he's pulling us over! Yea ha ha very funny too early in the morning for jokes Mr. Breese. Uh he wasn't joking. Well folks I'm still trying to wake up let alone consider being pulled over by a Constable On Patrol form Texas.

I swear this guy looked liked someone took him fresh outta his diapers and slapped his butt and put a uniform on him and called him "Trooper!" he just looked so young! He walked up to the car and said Good Mornin Sir. Do you know why I pulled you over? Vance says "Good Morning, no Sir I don't know why?"

Well the Officer tells him "you were doing 85 in an 80 MPH zone." I'm not kidding this guy looked really embarrassed to even say that...I almost busted up laughing. I wanted to say you mean to say you pulled us over for going only 5 MPH over the limit are you folks really that disparate!!

He asked for the license and registration and Vance handed the documents over to him. He asked us were we where from and where we were headed to Vance told him. Then he asks Vance what are we going to be doing in Florida visiting family? Vance says "No Sir we are attending an aviation event. He asked Vance "then why didn't you just fly" and Vance tells him "I don't like to fly unless I'm doin the drivin!" this made the officer chuckle!

He then asked Vance if he was in the Military and Vance says " No Sir!" What a way to start the day I Tell You!!!

He asked us to give him just a moment and he would be right back. He's sitting in his car running all the stuff through then comes back and says "Ok I gonna give you a warnin this time Sir." Vance decides to push on the Officer just a bit he says "Uh I had my GPS running and it says I was doing 87 MPH and yours say 85 MPH how can that be...oh man Vance don't go there, the Officer just says I don't know sir I can only tell you what mine says.

So naturally Vance pushes back again and says "well what is the most you can actually get away with without being pulled over by an officer?" The Officer says "Well you didn't hear this from me, but we can't give people tickets for going 5 MPH over the speed limit.
Vance just laughs this evil laugh and I just ready for this situation to be over with! The Officer thanked Vance and told us to have a nice time in Florida.

I guess I should have listened to my Mother she warned me to look for the sign of a REBEL!!

So that is what has been happening thus far on our loop through Wauchula. Exciting huh?
What's next?? LOL
I do apologize for it being so long but as you can see we were having one of our usual adventure...but on the ground this time. I'll kept ya'll posted
You can see the rest of my pictures at this link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157616402406713/show
Until Tomorrow,
Cheers! SgurlEd

Last edited:

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Excellent photos. Are you stopping at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola this trip?

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Hello Tim,

We drove from Van Horn Texas to Hammond, Louisiana yesterday and hope to go on to Pensacola this morning to spend some time at the Museum. Then it is on to the Drag Race Museum in Ocala and Bensen Days if the water isn’t too deep.

A flood will certainly add to the adventure!

I need to give Rudy a call to see if we can visit.

Or schedule is unpredictable so it is hard to hook up with people. We caught Rocky by luck; I missed him last time through.

Thank you, Vance

animal

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Hillman Hornet N8063D
Ed and Vance, sounds like ya'll are having a fun trip so far. will be looking forward to the bensen days photos. I am sure there will be some great ones.

rgraffeo

Gold Member
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX/SE
Total Flight Time
~500
Vance,
I missed you call this morning while you were in Hammond, LA.
Next year you need to get off I10 before Baton Rouge & go see Nottoway Plantation. Right near the airport in Gonzales I always fly over Tezcuco Plantation another bed & breakfast Antebellum home.
See you next time around.

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Excellent photos. Are you stopping at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola this trip?

Tim,
We are heading that way right now. Ms. Garmin says we should arrive at 3:19pm, but you know how unreliable woman are with directions especially a electronic GPS version! LOL

Well let you know how it goes this evening Cheers for now, Ed

TJMay

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
RAF 2000 GTX SE and Air Command Elite
Total Flight Time
Ed and Vance,

Depending on how you go from Pensacola, you'll have to apss with a few miles of my airstriup, 2FL0..

I'll be there Saturday removing my rotor and packing up for Bensen Days.

Got time to stop?

Tommy

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Hello Tommy,

We will be headed for the Town of Lynn with our hair on fire after the Navel Air Museum on Saturday.

It appears to be a five and a half hour drive.

We will have to demur to your kind offer and wait to see you at Bensen Days.

Thank you for the invitation.

We are looking forward to meeting you and seeing your RAF.

We are sorry we won’t be there to help you load her up.

I enjoy the quality of your questions and your willingness to listen.

Thank you, Vance

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Goodtimes!

Goodtimes!

Ed and Vance, sounds like ya'll are having a fun trip so far. will be looking forward to the bensen days photos. I am sure there will be some great ones.

Animal,
We are having a good time!
We just got back from the Navel Air Museum. There is so much to take in and little time to look at everything, but lol I'll get another opportunity Tomorrow!

We wish you could have made it to the events this year. It"s been great so far to finally meet the faces behind the names and stories!

So many people have been kind in contacting Vance and try hard to meet up with us. I never knew Vance had so many Kind Friends ;-)

Anyway follow my thread because I will be posting pictures from the Navel Museum. Let me tell you if you haven't seen this place you really should if you get the oppurtunity...it's awesome. Tell you more later!
Cheers! Ed

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Me Too!! };->

Me Too!! };->

Vance looks happy! I am happy . . .
Have a great trip both of ya.
Heron
Heron,
I love it when Vance is Happy Too.
So will I get to meet you to at Wauchula or Beson Days??

I do hope I so!

All my Best...Ed

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Edna: In case Vance forgot to tell you.....you, Vance, Allin, David Bacon, and myself will all be eating breakfast in Wauchula early Thursday morning.

Cant wait to visit with the "Dynamic Duo!"

Stan

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Stan,
Yes Vance did remember to share that with me. And I am looking forward to meeting everyone! Although I am rather concerned with all you rotorheads getting together maybe we should book this breakfast place through to Lunch and Dinner?? };->

LOL...can't wait to meet everyone
Cheers! Ed

Sheldon

Just some trivia for you...

Just some trivia for you...

Sangria cactus only grow in a very narrow altitude range... around the 3-5,000 foot area, they are very long lived and if you see one with 5 arms that cacti can easily be over 500 years old, as it usually takes over 100 years to develop and grow each arm!!! Cool huh....

GyroRon

Former Gyro know it all
Aircraft
Waiex/3300 Jab, Phantom UL, Flightstar II UL
Total Flight Time
ALOT
I love the Danger keep away pic! Can't wait, I mean... Hope to see you next week

Heron

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Golden Butterfly
Total Flight Time
7.5 h.
Sorry Edna, not this time.
I am in Brazil for unknown amount of time.
there is a chance that I will be in US in July, but still on the drawing board.
I will be there in spirit though.
Enjoy it at its fullest.
Keep Vance smiling. :)
Heron

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
We hope to see you too Ron

Congratulations on the new Baby. Don't worry about the C-Section I had two I'm sure your Gal is tough and will be just fine.
Ryan is a good choice in names that's my son's name too!

We hope you can make it , but understand if you can't a new baby is pretty special!

Best Wishes to you and you wife!
Cheers! Ed

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Sorry Edna, not this time.
I am in Brazil for unknown amount of time.
there is a chance that I will be in US in July, but still on the drawing board.
I will be there in spirit though.
Enjoy it at its fullest.
Keep Vance smiling. :)
Heron

Heron,
So sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it. I will take a lot of pictures for everyone so hopefully you can feel the magic of Rotorhead Friendship just like you were there! LOL

If there is something in particular you'd like photos of please don't hesitate to ask. That goes for anyone here on the forum, it would be my pleasure to try to make it happen.
Kind Regards..Ed

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Florida Road Closure!!

Florida Road Closure!!

Current time: 8:10pm in Florida Just a quick heads up those traveling on 10 and planning to take 90 down to 75 be aware that 90 is CLOSED we just past a sign saying as much see ya'll soon.
Cheers! Ed

SgurlEd

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Ask Vance's log book
Here's some pictures of todays Pilots Briefing...and some flying my battery is just about dead but I wanted to start posting asap!
Cheers! SgurlEd