Oshkosh - Gyros

okikuma

Out here in California, the older men wear low cut white crew socks with shorts and the teens are now wearing the black/dark colored socks!

Quick! Someone with a tape measure go and measure the airframe parts of the naked MTO, then start selling plans for a naked "knock off." Add a Yamaha YG3 or YG4 and we'll have another good, inexpensive, training gyroplane! LOL Just kidding!

Wayne

Last edited:

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
Walked a 100 miles at Oshkosh and saw all the gyros pictured here, but could not find Farmer Jim. I saw a yellow gyro parked on the Ultra light field on Thursday that looked similar to his red one, (I have only seen pictures) but no one knew who it belonged to.

Congratulations to Chris Lord for winning a Gold Lindy.

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Randolph where were ELA's displayed - I missed them? Was it the crew from Spain or do they have a US distributor now?

Rob
Rob,
Yes, what Steve said - indiana but I dont think they have an instructor yet. Their folks at the show that I overheard did not appear particularly knowledgeable about gyros.

Tomgyro

To Chris and Dayton

To Chris and Dayton

What hasn't been said about these two winning their awards is this:
These aircraft are not "trailer queens" that are gingerly transported from show to show but rather daily fliers that are so well built they are award winners every day.
Job extra well done.

Congratulations

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
Karl,

For most of the week there were only 3 gyros on the flight line. A dominator (owned by a guy from Minnesota named Norm I think), a yellow AG1 with no rotors and my Red Xenon. None of the three of us flew while at Oshkosh- all the flying I saw was done by Chris Lord in his two gyros, the Auto-Gyro guys and the Brit who participated in the main airshow.

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
Thanks Rob,
Then I saw all the flights, I just did not realize that the flying Xenon was Chris Lord. I would have said Hi, and if I had known the judging results, I would have looked his machine over from close up, rather then sitting on the bleachers. I was doing what my grand son wanted and he was willing to watch at the ultra light field with me a couple of times, morning and noon.
Say Hi to Dan Downing at Salida for me, good fellow with no wings now.

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Karl,
Both winning gyros looked great. And the winning helicopter was fantastic. Tim Drenc from Colo spent 7 years building his turbine helicycle. Dan Downing and I shared a hangar till he sold his plane.. What a sad day that was. I was stuck in Wisconsin today as most of my route back to Colo was IFR.. It took 16 hours over 3 days to get out to Osh and will likely take more going home, but when I get back I will tell Dan hi for you.
Rob

Chopr1

Aircraft
Hughes 269a-Hiller H12D-Scorpion 2- R22- Exec 90- RW Elete- Verticl Lift Windstar-
Thanks to all that posted pictures.
Greatly appreciated by us that didn't make it there!!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Titanium didn't get there!

Titanium didn't get there!

WE got delayed by contrary hay-making weather followed by a Thursday hay delivery to an important customer. Although we thought we could get there for the last week-end ... it was just not viable ... especially as they would not allow us to trailer - in without buying an exhibit booth ... all the Ultralight ones were gone! :( !

We decided to go early to Mentone to get Jim's training going again ... and enjoy the quiet pre-event days!

Oshkosh is too busy for us low-time pilots! Looking fowards to a properly prepared display ... next year!

gyroplanes

FAA DAR Gyropilot
Aircraft
(2) Air Commands, (1) Barnett, (1) Parsons modified 2 place, (1) Beechcraft Sundowner
Total Flight Time
Only a casual mention of the British gyro pilot flying in the airshow?

I would think this was a good thing for gyros. Any comments on his performance(s)

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
He did a nice show and as you say it was great to have gyros represented. I think it was the Auto-gyro guys from Chesapeake who arranged it and provided a gyro, so kudus to them for making it happen.

Compared to a bunch of pilots we all know I would say the show was pretty conservative.

Rob

Fly Army

Aircraft
From un-powered Paragliders off the side of a mountain to the Boeing 777.
Total Flight Time
18,000 ish , I guess
Only a casual mention of the British gyro pilot flying in the airshow?

I would think this was a good thing for gyros. Any comments on his performance(s)
Well I'm sure he gave it his best but honestly it's pretty difficult to compete with what the fixed wing guys are doing with their machines. When you watch a guy completely ring out an Extra 300 than you watch the gyro it seems pretty tame in comparison. Almost makes it look like all the gyro is doing is flying back and forth along the show line with a few steep turns here and there.

M._Springer

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
5000+
Maybe what was missing from the gyro performance

Maybe what was missing from the gyro performance

was Ken Brock. His gyro performance was really poetry in motion. The gyro is always magic but was especially so in Ken's hands.
Marion

C. Beaty

Gold Supporter
Ken’s grand finale, an engine off landing from 1,000 ft. when that unmuffled Mac went silent, got everyone’s attention.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Ahh nostalgia.

It's amazing how time moves on - now you have an imported factory gyro from Europe being demonstrated by an imported professional display pilot from Europe at the might Osh.

Gyros being marketed at Oshkosh presented by ELA Spain, Auto-Gyro Germany, Celier Aviation Poland and Magni Italy.

What happened.

magknight

Aircraft
Cessna Skylane, AutoGyro Cavalon (Due in May), Arrowcopter AC20 (sold) / MTOSport (sold)
Total Flight Time
300+
Much like Triumph, MG, Lotus, Jaguar, Land Rover, and Rolls Royce... someone else is doing a better job at running the business and making a better product. :)

M._Springer

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Bensen
Total Flight Time
5000+
A better product ? Maybe a product that meets the flying style of todays pilots.

A better product ? Maybe a product that meets the flying style of todays pilots.

As for myself, I don't want a machine that will take me 300 or 400 miles without refueling at 100 + miles per hour. I'm not that much of a traveler, I'm more of a home body type of gal.

In gyros my preference is a simple light weight gyro that is frisky as a butterfly that I can wring out on a windy day and I feel brand new when the flying is done.

Under the colorful shell, bigger engine and lots of electronic gadgets the bones of the Uro gyros are just like the bones of my frisky gyro.
Marion