Oshkosh 2020

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
We Don’t Gamble, We Need A Sure Thing
AirVenture 2020 is officially canceled

My fellow EAA’rs. It is May here in Wisconsin, and unfortunately like many of you across the country, we are still under a stay at home order through May 26. Normally, this is the month when we start our preflight planning for EAA AirVenture Oshkosh. By this time, we should have begun ramping up our entire site in preparation for our July convention. Volunteers from across the country and world would have descended on Oshkosh. Together they would have formed work parties, our suppliers would begin start setting up tents and infrastructure. Our EAA staff would be printing wrist bands, campers guides, programs and an assortment of EAA collateral as full-on AirVenture execution begins.

But because of circumstances beyond our control, none of this can happen now. We cannot even get to the hangar so our preflight is left to watching the prog charts. While this certainly makes the ability to prepare for the event a scheduling problem, it does not preclude the bigger issue of predicting what will be the health guidelines in July. Right now, there are three phases that have been defined in Wisconsin as the recommended procedures. As I write this, we are not in Phase 1 yet. Phase 2 restricts gatherings to 50 people. Phase 3 allows for mass gathering with restrictions.

Our convention attracts EAA members not only from the U.S. but around the world. Today we cannot predict when we will be at a point that our event meets the all clear Phase 3 milestone for mass gathering with restrictions. As your leader, I see no clear path to meet our own requirements to insure the health and safety expectations our organization demands for our employees, members, volunteers, exhibitors and attendees. That includes sanitization, separation and personal protection requirements.

My conclusion is, like in any good flight planning, don’t take the risk. Therefore, I have no choice but to cancel AirVenture 2020. Together, we can come back stronger, safer and ready for AirVenture 2021 and create a memorable world class aviation event. Because of our dedicated and enthusiastic EAA members, our Association is strong. We know that at some point this storm will pass. And over the next 12 months we will continue to support all of you as we again, together, grow EAA in the Spirit of Aviation.

Respectfully,
Jack J. Pelton

Jack J. Pelton
Experimental Aircraft Association
CEO and Chairman of the Board

All for an event that CDC even now confesses that "It hasn't crossed the threshold of for the label of 'pandemic' on a disease scale."
A political not viral epidemic.
7 out of 2 'medical experts' are telling the truth.
The two in front of the cameras. . . I'll be polite.

A majority of AirVenture attendees are in a high-risk demographic. Exhibitors don't want to be seen to be on the leading edge of pushing ahead too early. Jack Pelton had to make this call, no matter what he, the members or the board think the risks really are.

I think we'll look back one day and realize Sweden got it right.

56,000+ dead people doesn't bother you? Wow.
My biggest complaint has been the fatality rate seems to be on par with the usual rates for those regular COD's, such as the annual pneumonia and flu.

Why not raise a much bigger ruckus for the many times more fatalities caused by auto accidents where about half involve DUII? Or the drug ODs, or suicides, or gang-initiated gunshot victims? All ridiculous rates.

So adding another cause of death is no biggie? Until it's you or someone dear to you, I guess. Hey ho.
BTW the deathrate for coronavirus is about 20 x flu. Not par.

So adding another cause of death is no biggie? Until it's you or someone dear to you, I guess. Hey ho.
BTW the deathrate for coronavirus is about 20 x flu. Not par.
CV actual numbers in US are under 12,000 per CDC the 'news' has 60,000+ the flu is being tabulated into your news feeds.
more people die from medical malpractice (100,000+)
People die all the time.
Now the political fools who are out of narrative control (power) want you (sheeple) back in the plantation
death rate under .02%

This is BS! The virus is totally out of control, the Feds are mostly clueless - more focused on ratings than on the population, no vacine in sight. What is wrong with you?

This is BS! The virus is totally out of control, the Feds are mostly clueless - more focused on ratings than on the population, no vacine in sight. What is wrong with you?
Try decaf

The media is out of control.
CDC has number fluctuations like the stock market last real count was 12,000 dead [Not a Pandemic quota]
7 other CDC Doctors have raised concerns that this outbreak is fueled by politics and NOT CDC criteria.

HCQ 500mg & zink sulfide 200mg for 5 days will stop all viruses ( used also as a fix for cancer treatments where immune is low)
Other countries and US doctors who used this regiment against covid have 98% success rate with no ill effects.
Vaccines are years away and if you saw what happened to the African Nations with Bill Gates you'd never want them...
I you're this scared stop watching the B S news and stay away from flying machines.

This plandemic is political,
Not medical...
Did you not notice all the empty hospitals and USNS Comfort shipping out????

I think perhaps the caution over COVID 19 is less about the present numbers of fatalities, and more about the possibility that unchecked, the potential exists for fatalities in the order of the Spanish Flue Epidemic where you are talking about millions globally.

The present flu, driving deaths, shootings, and general murder and mayhem are, to a degree known statistics; at the present time there are too many unknowns about COVID 19.

Will it mutate to a more deadly version? Can we find a vaccine/cure?

What we do know is that uncontrolled, right now, it has a potential to overwhelm present medical ability/facilities to cope.

Last edited:
I respect the decision by the EAA, it's the right thing to do - approx 600,000 people in 2018, from all over the USA and from overseas too. A great gathering to cross infect others and take back to your own community, family and friends.

The second wave of the 1918/1919 pandemic was far worse than the first wave. Hence we need to be cautious.

I'm currently reading Pale Rider by author Laura Spinney, published in 2018 on the 100th anniversary of the 1918 pandemic.

I'd recommend it to anyone who enjoys modern history - you will quickly see so many parallels with todays challenge.

Some basic insight here too,

Just before breakfast on the morning of March 4, Private Albert Gitchell of the U.S. Army reports to the hospital at Fort Riley, Kansas, complaining of the cold-like symptoms of sore throat, fever and headache. By noon, over 100 of his fellow soldiers had reported similar symptoms, marking what are believed to be the first cases in the historic influenza pandemic of 1918, later known as Spanish flu. The flu would eventually kill 675,000 Americans and an estimated 20 million to 50 million people around the world, proving to be a far deadlier force than even the First World War.

The initial outbreak of the disease, reported at Fort Riley in March, was followed by similar outbreaks in army camps and prisons in various regions of the country. The disease soon traveled to Europe with the American soldiers heading to aid the Allies on the battlefields of France. (In March 1918 alone, 84,000 American soldiers headed across the Atlantic; another 118,000 followed them the next month.) Once it arrived on a second continent, the flu showed no signs of abating: 31,000 cases were reported in June in Great Britain. The disease was eventually dubbed the Spanish flu because people erroneously believed Spain was the epicenter of the pandemic.

and so on and so forth.

As Lord Farquaad says in Shrek - "Some of you will die, but that is a price I am prepared to pay"

Hillberg, I have typed and then deleted many comments while drafting this post, straining to stay civil in my tone and suppress rage that would otherwise come through explicitly and harshly.

In just my own circle, I've already lost two to the disease, and I don't much appreciate you treating the disease as fake news or describing them as "getting stiffy". They were real, and their deaths are real, the suffering it caused is real, and your personal political preferences and opinions on the science are worthless when faced with that reality.

Show some respect for the victims and their loved ones.

Thank you Wasp Air! People on both sides manipulate the data to suit their agenda, and of course it's a field day for the conspiracy theorists. The reality is that this disease is effectively two different diseases based on age and comorbidities. If one looks at the younger healthy population, it is a very manageable disease, possibly as safe or safer than the flu. On the other hand for people over 60 and particularly those with other health issues it becomes increasingly dangerous based on age and the number of other health issues, which generally go together. It's becoming increasingly clear that in the US and probably most Western countries, having flattened the curve in most areas, we will emerge and follow the Swedish model (by default if not by design) for the foreseeable future. This means following reasonable social distancing measures and protecting the elderly and most vulnerable. Anyone who cares even the slightest about his fellow citizens in the vulnerable group should find it quite reasonable to follow these guidelines. I agree that the EAA have made the smartest decision considering a high percentage of the attendees fall into the most vulnerable group and are at significantly higher risk. It's pretty clear, this is a bad disease for older and sicker people.
I plan to social distance by doing a transcontinental flight for 2-3 weeks during the time Oshkosh was supposed to be on.

Last edited:
Hillberg, I have typed and then deleted many comments while drafting this post, straining to stay civil in my tone and suppress rage that would otherwise come through explicitly and harshly.

In just my own circle, I've already lost two to the disease, and I don't much appreciate you treating the disease as fake news or describing them as "getting stiffy". They were real, and their deaths are real, the suffering it caused is real, and your personal political preferences and opinions on the science are worthless when faced with that reality.

Show some respect for the victims and their loved ones.
Never said it's (virus) not real. But the hype from the media is...
The same news experts that use Greta Thornberg as an expert on Climate change.
NCDC and NIH have sent memos to medical facilities on the need for Covid listed on post mortem for statistics. ie. getting Federal dollars.
Quit getting you numbers from the MSM. go to the source.
If you want to rage, Rage against the people who said to "Go on a cruise..." or "Come out to China Town..." as Trump closed travel from China.
Death comes to us all. Even Jesus.

I think perhaps the caution over COVID 19 is less about the present numbers of fatalities, and more about the possibility that unchecked, the potential exists for fatalities in the order of the Spanish Flue Epidemic where you are talking about millions globally.

The present flu, driving deaths, shootings, and general murder and mayhem are, to a degree known statistics; at the present time there are too many unknowns about COVID 19.

Will it mutate to a more deadly version? Can we find a vaccine/cure?

What we do know is that uncontrolled, right now, it has a potential to overwhelm present medical ability/facilities to cope.
Hydroxiclorquin 500 mg & Zink Sulfide 200 mg for five days - Used as antiviral treatment during cancer procedures to stop viruses
[weak immune system]
also will prevent contracting viruses. tested world wide with 98% success rates. [suppressed information]
Areas of the world where Malaria is treated for has almost no viral infections... coincidence?
How do you overwhelm a closed/empty hospital?

Never said it's (virus) not real. But the hype from the media is...
The same news experts that use Greta Thornberg as an expert on Climate change.
NCDC and NIH have sent memos to medical facilities on the need for Covid listed on post mortem for statistics. ie. getting Federal dollars.
Quit getting you numbers from the MSM. go to the source.
If you want to rage, Rage against the people who said to "Go on a cruise..." or "Come out to China Town..." as Trump closed travel from China.
Death comes to us all. Even Jesus.
Does not change the fact that EAA have made a smart decision, irrespective of all the raging going back and forth between partisans on both sides. The virus really does not give a damn what anyone believes, what the left or right partisan news says or who they support - it just kills a lot of older, sicker people unfortunately. As much as I'd like to believe hydrochloroquin helps, don't count on the hydrochloroquin to save you if you are in the vulnerable group either.

Last edited:
How do you overwhelm a closed/empty hospital?
Hospitals in various countries round the world have been swamped and have turned away patients, though perhaps the hospital in East Podunk might still be empty. However in NY it was a different story.

As for your treatment, it has been debunked.

Like some others on the Forum, I feel that although you are perfectly entitled to do so, you may be treating this global pandemic a little too lightly.

EAA it's their venue - You missed the fact that the media has been caught lying to the public, inflating the numbers, pushing a "pandemic narrative"
while the numbers of death on other areas of the CDC dropped 20% or the tabulation of Flu deaths dropped 50% at the 17 week mark in annual statistics?
No America is being played the fool.
CDC Doctors (Not Fouchi or Brix) have reported the virus was a political event and does not meet the criteria as a pandemic...*
*this was from the CDC itself
If you want more information look up
Perbrite institute patent #10130701 it has the genome,
Harvard virology dept. (professor arrest for espionage)
WHO contract for 3.7 million to Wuhan virology lab
Clinton World Initiative