Oshkosh 2020

PW_Plack

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex 582
Total Flight Time
FW: 200 Gyro: 51
I just read this in The Spectator (UK)
"certain figures bear revisiting — Covid’s roughly 290,000 deaths wouldn’t raise a blip on a graph of worldwide mortality (reminder: 58 million global deaths in 2019)...

It's almost not worth digging through "stats." Nothing is apples-to-apples in a situation like this.

For example, almost half the deaths in the initial wave were in nursing homes. But can you really say they were caused by Covid-19? This study was quoted on the website of the University of Southern California, but I had previously read it elsewhere in more detail:

The average age of participants when they moved to a nursing home was about 83. The average length of stay before death was 13.7 months, while the median was five months. Fifty-three percent of nursing home residents in the study died within six months.

Lumping these in with overall Covid-19 stats is like blaming climate change on reflected solar rays from the moon. It would be just as accurate to state the cause of death as "causes incident to old age." But that wouldn't keep the hype going.

I sincerely hope that re-opening doesn't cause new flare-ups and put us right back where we were.

And with unemployment approaching 15%, I hope any flare-up doesn't put us right back where we are now. The costs of suddenly destroying the financial lives of tens of millions of people are hard to fully estimate, and some of the potential impacts on society are, IMO, at least as scary as losing an octogenarian loved-one six months earlier than expected.

Last edited:

DavePA11

There has been a lot of deaths counted under COVID-19 were it wasn’t the actual cause, but only the person who died tested positive. Colorado started to downgrade numbers with this situation.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Lets just hope we can get back to flying soon. The CAA has just begun allowing recreational flying now in the UK.

I wanted to arrange some refresher as I haven’t flown since my last recurrent, and that was a while ago, but instruction is still not allowed even though this would be in an open tandem gyro.

Still a step in the right direction,