XXXXX

That little wing was at a get together at a local airport it's not mine .. It belongs to Fred
And don't think he does videos :)

Hi JM

How many do you think are up and flying ?

The FAA website return 9 when searching for "Little Wing"

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/AcftRef_Results.aspx?Mfrtxt=&Modeltxt=LITTLE+WING&PageNo=1

There may well be others if you search for LW4, LW5 etc etc.

I know of one in Australia.

There are zero in the UK.

They do not appear to be common machines - suspect there are others "in construction" that might fly, one day.

If anybody knows more definitive figures I'd be interested to learn.

Steve

...it is only really frustrating to see hundreds of mto's, magni's and other stock gyro video and only 2 videos of the little wing...

Over the years here on the forum, we've seen several started which appear never to have been completed. A welded, chromoly frame with fabric covering is a longer-term commitment than bolting together aluminum tubes or putting together an MTO.

Mine has yet to fly as i am in no hurry but it WILL FLY someday soon. I have other things going on in life which need priority and then i will get back to my Little Wing project. The plane is 99% complete with only a few minor mechanicals needing mounted and then a hang test and then start endurance tests and baby step tests builiding up to the moment of runway flights and beyond. I can say without hesitation that building a Little Wing is a monumental task and it takes time to do it right! We have seen many builders get in a hurry to fly and some end up making their last lift off. I plan on being one of those "OLD PILOTS" rather than a bold one!
As soon as mine starts flying i will be posting videos of the flights you can be assured!

Tim

Attachments

• DSC07475.JPG
    DSC07475.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 11
LW4 for sale

LW4 for sale

I know John Schmitt, a CFI in Charleston, SC has a LW4 project for sale with 30 gallon aluminum tanks and says it is ready for a 912 or 914. John says he will provide spec sheets upon request.

He also has a Gyrobee complete kit for sale.

From what has been posted in the WRENS fly in thread, Fred Perdue will be attending the get together and may be bringing his LW. I plan on being there as well. If he does in fact bring his LW and if it flies, I will do my best to get as much video of the 'craft as I possibly can.

I have a GO PRO HERO 3 Black edition with a bluetooth remote that I can mount inside the cockpit or anywhere for that matter if Mr Perdue will allow it. I mention the bluetooth remote because it makes starting and stopping the video very easy and disctraction free because you wear the remote like a wrist watch. Hopefully that will help convince him to allow us to make videos of his excellent aircraft that we can share with all the current builders, potential builders, and LW fans around the world.

I also have a Panasonic 3CCD 1080p HD camcorder that I will use to get ground footage.

There is also another gentlemen who enjoys videography as a hobby who will be attending (can't remember his name off the top of my head), so I bet he will also get good footage (probably better than I will) and maybe we can convice him to share this as well.

These types of videos and publications of aircraft are what motivate people to take on such a project or finish such a large project and I think its important to have these out there for the future pilots and builders. Plus, I think the LW is highly under publicized and is worthy of such things.

Mine has yet to fly as i am in no hurry but it WILL FLY someday soon. I have other things going on in life which need priority and then i will get back to my Little Wing project. The plane is 99% complete with only a few minor mechanicals needing mounted and then a hang test and then start endurance tests and baby step tests builiding up to the moment of runway flights and beyond. I can say without hesitation that building a Little Wing is a monumental task and it takes time to do it right! We have seen many builders get in a hurry to fly and some end up making their last lift off. I plan on being one of those "OLD PILOTS" rather than a bold one!
As soon as mine starts flying i will be posting videos of the flights you can be assured!

Tim

Tim,

Your LW is quite a beauty and a testiment to your dedication and determination. Congratulations on accomplishing such a large task. I hope you will continue to post updates on the progression as you near the finish line and begin to enjoy your huge time investment. :cool:

From what has been posted in the WRENS fly in thread, Fred Perdue will be attending the get together and may be bringing his LW. I plan on being there as well. If he does in fact bring his LW and if it flies, I will do my best to get as much video of the 'craft as I possibly can.

I have a GO PRO HERO 3 Black edition with a bluetooth remote that I can mount inside the cockpit or anywhere for that matter if Mr Perdue will allow it. I mention the bluetooth remote because it makes starting and stopping the video very easy and disctraction free because you wear the remote like a wrist watch. Hopefully that will help convince him to allow us to make videos of his excellent aircraft that we can share with all the current builders, potential builders, and LW fans around the world.

I also have a Panasonic 3CCD 1080p HD camcorder that I will use to get ground footage.

There is also another gentlemen who enjoys videography as a hobby who will be attending (can't remember his name off the top of my head), so I bet he will also get good footage (probably better than I will) and maybe we can convice him to share this as well.

These types of videos and publications of aircraft are what motivate people to take on such a project or finish such a large project and I think its important to have these out there for the future pilots and builders. Plus, I think the LW is highly under publicized and is worthy of such things.

Instead of adding extra workload to the pilot to remember to start or stop a camera someone near the gyro can start the camera using the remote when the gyro is ready to taxi. Either that or just start the camera before the engine is started and just let it run. It's easy to edit out the extra few minutes of footage.

Someone brought a Little wing to Bensen Days one year. It looked great. I can't remember the builder's name. I don't know if he ever flew it, sold it, or what.

Attachments

• DCP01858.jpg
    DCP01858.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 10
  • DCP01860.jpg
    DCP01860.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 10
  • DCP01859.jpg
    DCP01859.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 10
Frank Darby I think. Last I heard was Ron A. Had it at his place to test fly it. Then he said there was a lot of things to be done first but never heard what happened like if Ron ever got in it or anything happened. I know he knows how because he has flown 2 other actual LW's.

I think Frank had some medical reasons preventing him and think he spent huge amounts of money winning back his medical but then he sorta dissapeared- I saw the machine in Florida and it was pretty.

Also regarding comments saying something about people being afraid of building them because they might be hard to handle is inaccurate assumption. Think about every gyro out there and ask yourself if you would think that a builder of a machine would let another pilot just hop in and fly their machine?

The little Wing takes a huge commitment and even with this extra amount of work/attatchment to such a machine -I know Ron has lent his machine out many times with confidence. One such guy said it was simply the easiest most docile machine he had ever flown includig fixed wing. Go to littlewingautogyro.com to read about itPretty impressive machine on many levels. Much information out there. If a person is wondering about building it Is the performance of the machine that makes many of us decide it is worth the additional work. That is what captured my dreams and changed me forever.

Last edited:
Hi Jim I understand what you mean it is the tone that surprises me. If you go to littlewinwonder.com or littlewingautogyro there are Many facts and ideas that support the outstanding performance, safety and history regarding tractor autogyros. If you are really seeking the information you will see statements that explain the safety features but also what design flaws to avoid.

I find it hard to believe that because someone rolled a gyro over in a protective steel cage someone would assume it is somehow unsafe. What would have happened in a fiberglass pod or worse - an open frame Anything?

A very important point made says that it wasnt until the 1970s that general aviation matched the safety record that autogyros established in the 1920s. Look at all the records in all the areas of performance. Dont know what more can be said to convince you if one flying mishap would scare you away.

I have to go work on siding my building again today. I dont like being 25 feet off the ground on a ladder. I dont like knowing someone fell off a stepladder but if i want to accomplish my goal - I guess I have to use common sense in my approach. But if I sit here typing I dont get my ladder work done and in the end you have to convince yourself by reading and dreaming. That is a fun part of the start of it I hope you enjoy. Good luck and enjoy your Journey towards realizing your dreams of flight.

Alan, yes, Ron had this at his hangar. The builder wanted Ron to go through it completely and fix whatever needed to be fixed. It was OK but needed alot of AN bolt change outs. Ie. Wrong length, non AN...etc.

It was dropped during Rons busy season and he really didn't get a chance to work on it much. The owner came up one day and picked it up.

Last I talked to Fred Perdue, he was planning on bringing it to Wrens. It did fly at the get together I had at my place.....it was extremely windy but Fred handled it well. It sure is pretty flying!!!

Look forward to seeing everybody at Wrens in a few days!

Barry

Again, go get all the information you can gather but go to

http://www.littlewingwonder.com/pages/lww_news.html

"Autogyro Revolutions," Aero. March/April 2007.
“Good Things Come On Little Wings.” Kitplanes. January 2007.
“EAAer Sets 11 New World Records in LW5 Autogyro.” EAA News. March 2006.
“Andy Keech Breaks Yet Another World Record.” Pacific Flyer. February 2006.
“There & Back. Setting a coast-to-coast autogyro record.” Sport Aviation. May 2005.
“The Eight Most Memorable Aviation Records of 2004.” AERO. May 2005.
“500 kms in a Hurry”. The Oklahoma Aviator. Vol. 23 No. 5, May 2005.
“Wiley Post Recipient Award”. Fly Low. Vol. 5 Issue 1, March 2005.
“Andy Keech - First Recipient of the New Spirit of Wiley Post Award”. The Oklahoma Aviator. Vol. 23 No 3, March 2005.
“500 kms in a hurry”. Gyro News (Australian). Winter 2005.
“Wiley Post Spirit Award”. Fly Low . Vol. 4 Issue 11, January 2005.
“Autogyro pilots swap tales of high adventure”. Eastern Daily Press ( England ). 16 November 2004.
“EAA Member Shatters World Gyroplane Records”. EAA News. 16 July 2004.
“Andy Keech, World Gyro Record Setter”. Audio interview on the UltraFlight Radio Show. 29 June 2004.
Cover story. Trade-A-Plane. Vol. 67 No. 36, First November Issue, 2004.
“Good Gyrations”. Moments & Milestones, Smithsonian Air & Space. August/September 2004.
“Twist n' Shout”. EAA Sport Aviation. September 2004.
“Records claimed”. National Aeronautics. July/August 2004.
“Gyroplane Pilot Sets Altitude, time-to-climb records”. Rotorcraft shorts. AOPA.
“Long Distance Flight”. Gyro News ( Australia ). Winter 2004.
“Autogyro Sets New Mark of Distance”. National Aeronautics. May/June 2004.
“Giving the Autogyro Its Place in the Sun”. The Washington Post. 2 May 2004.
“Pilot Breaks 72-year-old Gyroplane Record”. Pilot Briefing. AOPA Pilot. March 2004.
“EAAer sets Unofficial Autogyro Distance World Record”. EAA News. 11 March 2004.
“Records claimed February-March 2004”. National Aeronautics. April/May 2004.
“Five Miles High”. Gyro News (Australian). Spring 2004.
“Historic Transcontinental Re-Run Sets Records”. International Autogyro Quarterly. Issue 18, 2004.
“Little Wing LW5 Autogyro Transcontinental Flights - Part 2”. Gyro News ( Australia ). Autumn 2004.
“Little Wing LW5 Autogyro Transcontinental Flights - Part 1”. Gyro News ( Australia ). Summer 2003/4.
“Little Wing LW5 Autogyro Transcontinental Flights East to West - Part 1”. Rotorcraft. December/January 2004.
“Little Wing LW5 Autogyro Transcontinental flights West to East - Part 2”. Rotorcraft. February 2004.

This should give you a lot to read and contemplate. Then ask yourself is it designed right and the autogyro for you? There is nothing negative except the commitment that rewards you with a beautiful aircraft that others dream of having built or owning.

Jim U., Just seemed like you were worried that no videos meant it didn't fly. What it really means is that these are still rare birds flying as a lot of people are still building.

I have one that was test flown a few times then modified with (72% more power now) one with an engine on it and another that needs an engine. Having 3 of them is an investment in labor, love and money. Since I have little of the last, it is a struggle but I am trying my best to complete them. I have many of those articles and researched the Little Wing and I have no doubts that you have. The facts are there for you to move beyond. Go for your dreams. They can become real. Even though it sometimes takes a lonnnnnngggg time. If things were so obvious or easy everyone would do it. Want the same car everyone else has? Want something with performance or speed or whatever? You gotta dig and find out what you think it is that does it for you.

It is a worthy accomplishment to be excited about. Read about it and what others have to say at Littlewingautogyro.com

Attachments

• flygyro16x20web.jpg
    flygyro16x20web.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 7
  • Composit20x30DreamsWeb.jpg
    Composit20x30DreamsWeb.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited: