Dropkeel KB2, EA81, 2.19:1, 68"Warpdrive, 24'Dragonwings, talltail
Just bumped up the views.

Cool video Scott ! Smoke and all !

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has to push the back of the helmet up because the airstream gets up inside the top...

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has to push the back of the helmet up because the airstream gets up inside the top...
Yep some of the inconveniences of an open machine @ 90 mph.... Thanks for watching.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
Yep some of the inconveniences of an open machine @ 90 mph.... Thanks for watching.
wouarfff 90 mph ( 144 km/h) with a 582 on an opened gyro .. super ! Dom are really fantastic
@ which engine RPM were you flying at 90 mph please ? ( just curious to compare the dom's performances with my monoseater 582)
with my gyro (see below) I am at 120 km/h at 5800 rpm

P1000921.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 airplane, 1.5 PPC, AND... a ZILLION hours of flying in my dreams!
wouarfff 90 mph ( 144 km/h) with a 582 on an opened gyro .. super ! Dom are really fantastic
@ which engine RPM were you flying at 90 mph please ? ( just curious to compare the dom's performances with my monoseater 582)
with my gyro (see below) I am at 120 km/h at 5800 rpm

View attachment 1146583
S'il vous plait, JM...Would you relate the amount of buffeting of winds you receive (front & sides of your body as well as helmet) behind the windscreen & pod as a pilot of your design?

Additionally, it appears you have your full-span tail tilted forward more @ the top of the upper mast support than the bottom portion on the keel. Advantages of doing so?

Merci beaucoup, in advance.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
S'il vous plait, JM...Would you relate the amount of buffeting of winds you receive (front & sides of your body as well as helmet) behind the windscreen & pod as a pilot of your design?

Additionally, it appears you have your full-span tail tilted forward more @ the top of the upper mast support than the bottom portion on the keel. Advantages of doing so?

Merci beaucoup, in advance.
Je t'en prie Kevin, avec plaisir (((-:

as for the the windscreen, it provides a protection for my body ( I stay warm) but not for my head (even if I get less air on my head then without any windscreen) .. back when I did not have an helmet with a visor covering my face down to my throat It was not comfortable at all , and even scaring for the young pilot I am ( 300 hours now)

on the other hand this fairing and the windscreen seems streamline enough , my airspeed (verified flying with my friend) is 120 km/h at 5800 rpm ( rotax 582)

with the antitab and the tall tail the gyro flies well in the direction of the "resulting" wind ( I don't know how to say it in english..), so I don't get much air coming from my sides, I remove my feet from the rudder pedal when I am flying ( I only use the rudder pedals to taxi, to take off and for landing land, and sometimes when I turn at high angles but it is rare)

when I read that scottessex flies at 144 km/h I am really admiring the dominator performances,

as for the tall tail, it must be an optical effect because it is actually vertical and parallel to the prop .

bonne journée

jmi

Last edited:

SnoBird

Enjoy! My old dominator at BensenDays..
Fantastic flying and fantastic video. It's the low altitude stuff that is the most fun by far. Quick question: between segments 0:57 to 1:06 and again at 1:40 to 1:47 during hard left banking turns it appears as if much more 2 stroke smoke is generated. As soon as you pull out of the turns it appears to go away and it also does not appear to happen in a right turn (although it just may be camera angle making it more difficult to see, but shadowing on the ground also seems to confirm this). I assume you're running premix? Any idea why it may have happened? Just curious if Rotax carb mixture ratios are sensitive to G's or tilts of one way or the other.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
In my opinion the smoke comes from a smoke machine aimed at marking the trajectory of the gyro for this superb video

Kevin_Richey

Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
Scott made & sold smoke-exhaust kits several yrs. back. I bought one, but haven't used it.

Rasool

Aircraft
Magni M-22
Total Flight Time
220 fixed wing, 210 gyro
Excellent video! And I agree, the low level flying in a maneuverable single place in open fields is absolutely the most fun you can have in a gyro! I love my Magni M-22 and have had many great flying adventures with a friend onboard. But I often wish I’d kept my Dom, as many advised me to do.

jm-urbani

Aircraft
home built mono seat
Total Flight Time
300ish
yes ... after 4 months building my tandem everyweek end without flying, I ended up going to the hangar to fly my monoseater
the engine started at first pull .. I said wow what a good engine .. but kamal my friend told me.. it is normal I've been flying it several times since you came for the last time hahah
he's got a tandem but takes a lot of fum flying it.. then I took off and said to myself .. : don't sell it !

scottessex

Sling-Wing Pilot
Aircraft
Dominator 582
Total Flight Time
200+
Yes yes and yes... The smoke is from the smoke system I built, it really looks great when someone else is filming you,, The highest speed I ever had the dom up to was GPS indicated 96mph and that was just about sea level at Wauchula, The open dominator was really nice at around 50 mph.
So far I do not regret selling it, I have been enjoying the Tango and it seems to be a very nimble machine. Yes the single can't be beat for lightness and maneuverability. Glad you enjoyed it.
There are some good smokin shots in this video