One More Try - Looking for help

I say you go forward and let there be some minimal ad's on the forum. Another forum I go to, for the Sonex airplanes, it just has a pop up ad when you first log on... Just X out the ad and its gone and not a big deal. If that one ad helps support the forum without asking for donations or subscriptions I say do it. Probably easier than trying to manage and keep up with who donated what and when.

Then perhaps a sticky page under news, with a Paypal address for those that want to donate on top of that... And you could split any money received that is over the operating costs between the owner ( Todd ) and the moderator team... Maybe use it to buy Gift Cards to Outback or something as a thank you for everyone's efforts. Do that and I will gladly offer my moderation services again!!! Maybe throw me a extra Outback card as payback for moderating here for years and years and years! Don't forget GyroMike's card either, although he might like Popeyes Chicken better.

Does sound good Ron just don’t use that nodding heads Avatar again. :)

What does it cost to keep this online? $1400 to 2k a year for hosting, you said? I saw you say "Don't bother telling me about using cheaper options" so I guess you mean what you say and don't want to acknowledge that times have changed. So do I delete my 2c worth? Nope.

Costs these days can range from free "forever" cloud based, some of them, that are low power and a couple of gigs of storage. Since this forum is mostly low-res and text, I'd think it ought not to consume much storage and since the usage is low-ish it ought to inexpensive to host. Migration and re-implementation of software might be a bear depending on what software package you use. As an IT professional, everything is easy, including migration; just time consuming till you get the automation formula right.

Maybe this type of dedicated forum is past it's expiration date? Maybe an alternative to suit the changing times? Have you considered making it a free, public forum, with moderators? For Example: Reddit is easy and sub-reddits can have moderators. Would not be too hard to set up and redirect existing members. Plus people without an account can lurk, browse but not post comments. The audience potential is huge.

And Todd, you could both declutter your life, allow moderators to take over from you, while keeping the forum going.

I was going to man-splain how to set it up but it is so easy I just went ahead and did it. Take a test Drive if you like. It ought to be easy enough to delete if you don't like it. You do NOT need to have a reddit account to browse. https://www.reddit.com/r/RotaryWingForum/
Free hosting and spaces like Reddit and Facebook and Twitter are NOT the place for forums that have the uploads that this forum has.

Facebook and Twitter censor people. Un-American and unconstitutional. None of that for me...

Went into my own profile. It had a Gold Supporter link to pay $25 a year by Paypal. Done. Easy. Recommend it.
Thank you. Now been there and done that. Easy as pie.

Went into my own profile. It had a Gold Supporter link to pay $25 a year by Paypal. Done. Easy. Recommend it.
Found it. Thanks for the reminder EI-GYRO. Just done.

Last edited:
Happy to pay when Todd states what the fee will be.
$25.00
Click on your avatar at the top right of the page, a dialog box appears, in the box, account upgrade, pay with Paypal, if you don't have Paypal, open an account, doesn't cost anything, so don't make excuses not to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Yep, I just upgraded and paid $25 with Visa. Was not aware there was an opportunity to upgrade and pay the $ or that I could use a guest PayPal account and pay with a debit or credit card. Very easy, thanks guys for the posts!!! Learn something everyday:)

No such thing as censorship on a moderated forum. See terms of service and abide or go elsewhere.
I guess you are saying it's "no such thing" by definition. But to me that just sounds like a difference in terms (and I don't mean "terms of service").
Having said that, it should go without saying that the owner can keep anyone, and anyone's words, off his forum.

Always happy to contribute to this good cause.

However, I do see politics as an important aspect of all facets of life, because it affects all facets of life and business, as well as our ability to continue to fly.

As big-tech is clamping down on our rights for free speech, anywhere that can be found to communicate freely is important to maintain as an outlet.

We have many topic areas in this forum. What would be the harm to add another topic for strictly "politics", unless you are one of those that simply want to suppress others' viewpoints? That would allow us that would like to discuss politics to do so in a place that all who what to participate can do so without the need or retaliation of censorship. It can just be understood by all to beware before entering that this is a topic area that can be offensive to one's political views. Therefore you have nothing to complain about if you enter and read the posts. This will allow us that want to share our political views with other forum members here to be able to do so. This way everyone gets what they want (except those that want to suppress others' political veaws).

As I said, politics affect our rights to build and fly, so why not have a place to talk about it on this forum?

In the end, it's Todd's forum, we play ball on his field and we have to follow his rules.