One More Try - Looking for help

ToddP

Administrator
Staff member
Aircraft
Dominator Gyro / RV9
Total Flight Time
500 Hours
I should know better than make posts when I'm angry.

In case you hadn't figured it out, opening up the forum and finding a 100's of posts long thread about politics really pissed me off.

That said, I also know its on my shoulders for not moderating like I should.

Like many have said, I firmly believe this forum has saved some lives. It would be very unfortunate to lose this body of knowledge.

So, let's give it another try.

For the forum to continue and be a viable resource, we need to:

1. Get some moderators
2. Increase traffic and post counts
3. Generate some revenue so it covers the expenses.

In order to make these things happen. I'm looking for;

1. Moderators. I would like to find 3-4 people who are level headed and can apply the rules of the forum. In addition, I want the moderators to also be active in the discussions and work to promote great discussions through their own forum posts. If you are interested in becoming a moderator, please send me a message.

2. There was a time when we would have over a 100 posts a day about gyros and flying. A strong vibrant community will only make this forum better for all. I want to find 1-2 people that will work to promote the forum not only here but in other areas of the internet driving traffic to the forum. Someone who understands how to manage a facebook page, post on reddit #aviation sub channels, post ads on barnstormers or any other avenue that would get new people interested and involved in this sport and the forum. If you're interested in tackling this project, send me a message.

3. The forum is surprisingly affordable to operate but it still has bills. The current hosting / administrator specializes in running Xenforo forums and does an excellent job. We have had zero reliability or speed issues since switching to them. Their bills are about $1,400 / year. There are a few other things like software support but the total cost is less than 2k per year. Don't bother telling me about using cheaper options, I've used a few of them. They suck.

I am going to send an e-mail to the administrators about adding advertisements to the forum to drive some revenue. I will also look at having the option of a $20 annual subscription that would turn off all the advertisements. If you have some feedback on this proposal, send me a message.

Finally, thank you to those that have reached out and offered their thanks and support. You messages and posts are what has caused me to have this change of heart. You are appreciated.

We've got some work to do. Who's in?

Todd

I will help any way I can Todd.
I question my ability to moderate well as I don't get along with everyone.
I would be happy to give it a try.
I know the posts I find particularly offensive and the personal attacks I have had bring my post count down.
It is reasonable to imagine other people are driven away by the discord as well.

Todd, I don't play well with all others either, but if you have a 'contentious zone' on the forum, I volunteer to moderate THAT.
Seems that is the area that needs a cowboy to ride herd... saddle up.
Brian

Fantastic news.

Subscription ready.

I’m in, I would happily help out, as a moderator and financially. I think $20 is nothing to spend to keep this forum alive and would gladly offer more fiscal support. Im also a member on the Sonerai forum and they have a similar system to open up all the options and the forum just grows. I haven’t been posting much here but I lurk constantly. I come on here to review and analyze my teaching styles and build technologies and improve safety. I dont get along with all the attitudes much as I tend to see us as eating our own young which happens to be a similar attitude in the helicopter world. I don’t think that aids this industry at all, and it causes the more experienced to clam up and not offer their advice/ experience. I think we could be much better.

And please move the off topic threads to the bottom of the homepage.

Todd thank you so much for reconsidering. I also lurk here a lot, but rarely post. I will make a more conscience effort to contribute more to the discussion if I can.

I'm halfway through my build, without this forum I don't think ill ever get it done and fly. And if so I'll be much safer because of this forum. This forum is worth 20.00 easy. In fact I think an option to donate additional funds would be appropriate. I would donate. That way maybe we could award the moderators in some small way. It's a difficult and generally thankless job. But the moderators are essential.

I'll volunteer to moderate too Todd. I also second the suggestion to have the off topic area at the bottom instead of the top.

I’m in for $20...no problem. I hope whoever the moderators are that they bury any political stuff. I am sick of it, and it has no place on a forum that should be devoted to rotary wings issues. Cheers.

Todd:. I think you've read my messages to you. Would appreciate a response.

No ads please but think it would be reasonable to charge an annual fee. I've looked at forum software Xenoforo and annual fee is less than $100 per year, hosting and support is relative and as you stated you've tried options.

I would recommend cleaning up terms of service, off topic ok but threads/posts have to be watched and controlled.

Some will say "free speech" not so, gyro forum so keep it related. Want to sleep in other BS, go somewhere else. To keep it this way, charge a nominal annual fee to each subscriber, you pay, you can post.

My thoughts.

I'm in and plan to be active. Subscription cost is fine. Happy to help moderate, ran a large firm for many years and managed to keep 90% happy 90% of the time which was difficult at times since I was also chief compliance officer:)

Todd:. I think you've read my messages to you. Would appreciate a response.

No ads please but think it would be reasonable to charge an annual fee. I've looked at forum software Xenoforo and annual fee is less than $100 per year, hosting and support is relative and as you stated you've tried options.

I would recommend cleaning up terms of service, off topic ok but threads/posts have to be watched and controlled.

Some will say "free speech" not so, gyro forum so keep it related. Want to sleep in other BS, go somewhere else. To keep it this way, charge a nominal annual fee to each subscriber, you pay, you can post.

My thoughts.

No, I haven't read your messages. But when I have some time I'll be sure to read through your 19 posts on the forum closing thread.

I should know better than make posts when I'm angry.

In case you hadn't figured it out, opening up the forum and finding a 100's of posts long thread about politics really pissed me off.

That said, I also know its on my shoulders for not moderating like I should.

Like many have said, I firmly believe this forum has saved some lives. It would be very unfortunate to lose this body of knowledge.

So, let's give it another try.

For the forum to continue and be a viable resource, we need to:

1. Get some moderators
2. Increase traffic and post counts
3. Generate some revenue so it covers the expenses.

In order to make these things happen. I'm looking for;

1. Moderators. I would like to find 3-4 people who are level headed and can apply the rules of the forum. In addition, I want the moderators to also be active in the discussions and work to promote great discussions through their own forum posts. If you are interested in becoming a moderator, please send me a message.

2. There was a time when we would have over a 100 posts a day about gyros and flying. A strong vibrant community will only make this forum better for all. I want to find 1-2 people that will work to promote the forum not only here but in other areas of the internet driving traffic to the forum. Someone who understands how to manage a facebook page, post on reddit #aviation sub channels, post ads on barnstormers or any other avenue that would get new people interested and involved in this sport and the forum. If you're interested in tackling this project, send me a message.

3. The forum is surprisingly affordable to operate but it still has bills. The current hosting / administrator specializes in running Xenforo forums and does an excellent job. We have had zero reliability or speed issues since switching to them. Their bills are about $1,400 / year. There are a few other things like software support but the total cost is less than 2k per year. Don't bother telling me about using cheaper options, I've used a few of them. They suck.

I am going to send an e-mail to the administrators about adding advertisements to the forum to drive some revenue. I will also look at having the option of a $20 annual subscription that would turn off all the advertisements. If you have some feedback on this proposal, send me a message.

Finally, thank you to those that have reached out and offered their thanks and support. You messages and posts are what has caused me to have this change of heart. You are appreciated.

We've got some work to do. Who's in?

Todd
I am all in Todd. Yes, I was one of the idiots and I know it. I was goated and like an idiot, I jumped into the mess. I make no excuses. I would like to help in any way I can. I am on the forum several times a day. I really do think I can handle being a moderator and definitely will contribute both in post and money to keep the forum alive.

I have in hand a huge glass of water and I am clearing my throat ready to eat my huge portion of humble pie.

As with Davids previous posting, I too was one of the idiots, eager to try and win a game that has only losers. I offer my appologises to all.

I have the time and passion of gyros and the eagerness to learn but do not believe I am in a position to moderate, or would be accepted into such a position by the general membership, and that also has to be considered.

I would however happily contribute to the forum to help maintain it. I have learned a lot about gyrocopters here, and maybe something about myself.

Good for you Todd, thanks mate.
I frequent a few forums, and this one being free of adds is a breath of fresh air.
If it has to be with adds so be it, but I would be more than happy to pay that small annual fee to keep the forum as it is and to lighten your financial load.
Just a random question Todd, are you still an active gyro pilot?

wolfy

Todd, thank you for the forum. Annual dues are fine.

I favor free speech, but there are some here that post way too much, way too frequently.
This type of poster tends to get into a back/forth, often pointless, argument with another poster of similar characteristics.
Perhaps consider a 'daily limit' for posts?
A software-enforced 'time out' might be good for a cooling-off period.