One more SIDE-BY-SIDE

What rotor rpm did you achieve?

(It looks like you started the prerotation with tail wind, some unpleasant blade flapping in the beginning, be careful.)

I found it very hard to watch the vides Maybe if you used a tripod or someones shoulder it would settle down the shakiness so you could see the movements of the gyro . Just my 2 cents . Are there doors ? Good luck with your new bird.:)-)
Meant to ask, are the doors removable ?

I found it very hard to watch the vides Maybe if you used a tripod or someones shoulder it would settle down the shakiness so you could see the movements of the gyro .
Just my 2 cents . Are there doors ? Good luck with your new bird.:)-)
Meant to ask, are the doors removable ?
- concernign video, fully agree, will ask to put tripod next time :) ;
- of course doors are there, they are detaachable (2x bolts) and they was taken out during test flights for security reasons. I hope that Patrick (pliot of gyro) will put them back and will test flights with doors ;
- thank you all guys for any comments that will help us improve this bird !

Last edited:
Your bird seemed to have some serious yaw problems from that cross wind. Putting the doors on in those conditions might make it even more unstable. I'm not sure adjusting the rudder will solve the problem. Adding another foot or so across both sides of the tail vertical stabilizers would help out more.... I think.

I'm still curious about the pod design. Why not a spherical build like the Cavalon? Wouldn't the compound curves add a whole lot more strength to the build?

From a purely cosmetic point of view, change the instrument pod to a lower profile. It kinda looks out of place when looked at straight on through the canopy. However, don't take my comments as criticism. You are a fantastic designer and I drool over your skills set.

evolution of TAIL is normal deal in development phase of any enclosed machine - here is some examples: TRIXY and DTA and evolution of their tails over time

early DTA gyro -http://www.dta.fr/FR/News/index.cgi?category=4&newsid=1106
early TRIXY gyro - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRNEn-RQLIw

Attachments

• EVOLUTION.jpg
    EVOLUTION.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm still curious about the pod design. Why not a spherical build like the Cavalon? Wouldn't the compound curves add a whole lot more strength to the build?

From a purely cosmetic point of view, change the instrument pod to a lower profile. It kinda looks out of place when looked at straight on through the canopy. However, don't take my comments as criticism. You are a fantastic designer and I drool over your skills set.

Pod "square/cubique" design was to simplify production of plexi canopies, also initial idea was to built alumnium body.

Concerning Instrument pod it is oversized on purpose to be able install 2x full size iPADs (one vertically and one horisontally) and still ahve 2-3 instruments
Finally it is not so big if you sit inside and ypu still have a lot of view through it (but I like one tiny like in in XENON/ZEN).
But it coudl be also worth (I think about CAVALON / MAGNI M24 where you see nearly nothing in front of you).

all is possible - question of time/monay/organization

Last edited:
On the instrument pod, I was thinking something like the Orion's front dash but using your pod style. The Cavalon uses more of an integrated dash and might raise the costs a bit more than a pod. I think the pod you have is more a style suited for a tandem perhaps? Maybe in the next iteration? Great work!

2 questions, est. take off roll, est, cost? Just curious your thoughts. Thanks Gary

more photos in flight

Attachments

• 00.jpg
    00.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 07.jpg
    07.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 0
Happy New 2015 for all of you !!!

Attachments

• 11a.jpg
    11a.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 0
  • 12a.jpg
    12a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 13a.jpg
    13a.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 15a.jpg
    15a.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 16a.jpg
    16a.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 0
There was a lot of yaw in the first videos that you had. The last one seemed to be completely gone. What did you do to cure this problem. Was it a door issue?

There was a lot of yaw in the first videos that you had. The last one seemed to be completely gone. What did you do to cure this problem. Was it a door issue?

- fine tuning of control system
- regulations of control systems
- pilot became familiar with SIDE-BY-SIDE gyrocopter (he is pilot of TANDEM gyro and if i do understand never fly before SIDE-BY-SIDE gyro before , technics are different).
- on the beginning pilot tried take gyro "brutally" into air with nearly zero speed (short take off), it doesn't work for any side-by-side enclosed machine (it need some minimum speed for tail became efficient)

I was afraid that surface of the tail is not enough but surface is sufficient for this machine

Also (personally) I think that doors also smooth air flow and reduced yawing of gyro (it was designed to fly with doors)

Last edited: