One-Design Helicopter, anyone?

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
I can't find the video and it appears all my archival threads on this forum are gone. Here's a link to one of them, but I cannot figure out how to get to IV, V, and VI? Those are where I posted info from B.J.'s video. I'm sure the Helicycle checkout-guy on here (put the first turbine in a purple Helicycle) has the video. It seems like 25 INCH-POUNDS (2 foot-pounds) turning torque on the pinion shaft was the target when 1600 pounds of downward force was compressing the two tapered rollers toward each other. That would simulate loads during a 2g turn.

Last edited:

HobbyCAD

Homebuilt Heli Enthusiast
Thanks Bryan, much appreciated.

Cheers, Francois

Francois, I never saw any data except on the factory process-sheet checklist for the transmission assembly operation at Revolution. I'm pretty sure that sheet was in use when ball bearings was used on the pinion and I have never seen any tapered-roller preload data. Now, I did form an educated opinion based on a video that B.J. Schram did, showing how he set the preload on the Helicycle's pinion. I remember that the loads he quoted being very similar to the M-500. Flight weight and input torque were very close. The input torque he had on the Helicycle was approximately 60 ft. pounds max. if I remember right. He demonstrates in the video how they set the preload. Let me see if I can find the video.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Bryan, um...not to bring up a sore subject, but if no one else says it....you were 100%correct on your egregious post.
Sleep well knowing you are not working for the kind of morons who would disagree.

bryancobb

Aircraft
Owned Brantly B-2b/Fly Kitfox III/Mini-500b
Total Flight Time
Well Bryan, it seems from my research that I'll shoot for 50 in.lb mast preload, 35 in.lb pinion preload, 006" backlash, set up at 200F case temp. How does this sound to you?

I've posted this on my build page as well, we can continue discussing it there. https://www.rotaryforum.com/threads/skeeter-jr.31211/

Cheers, Francois
Sounds safe to me. Just monitor lube temp during flight until confidence is gained.