old redrive

old red dog

Does anybody remember a planetary redrive for VWs and Corvair made by Marvin Currie made circa 2008? I`m very interested in this type of PSRU and am asking if anybody knows if he`s still around or still making these redrives........................Thanks, Jim in Eastern Iowa

j4flyer

Jim I have a Ross PSRU for a Subaru EA-81 that can be used for other 4 cylinder engines. Would you be interested in it ?

old red dog

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it. I had hoped to find a redrive that was VW specific, like the ones made by Mr. currie. These had a little shorter snout and a different kind of coupler, I believe. I`m sure your Ross/EA 81 unit could be made to work on the VW with some machining but I`d almost rather find one that didn`t require modifying.
That said, could you tell me what the reduction ratio is in your unit, about how much it weighs and about how much you`d like to sell it for? thanks again, Jim

j4flyer

Jim I can get you the length and weight. As for the tech data I don’t know. I bought an EA-81 engine and the redrive came with it. I’ll try and turn the hub and count the revolutions to get the ratio.

Aircraft
Highly modified KB-3
Total Flight Time
950 Gyro - 200 FW
Hi Jim in Eastern Iowa, I have kept up with Marvin over the last several years and he has stopped making redrives. Marvin's a nice guy.

old red dog

Richard, Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Glad you`ve kept up with Marvin and that he is well thought of. Do you know if there`s any sort of documented history about his redrives or if he`d mind talking to someone about them sometime? Thanks. .....................Jim

Aircraft
Highly modified KB-3
Total Flight Time
950 Gyro - 200 FW
Jim, I just spoke with Marvin. He said he didn't know how he could help you but wouldn't mind speaking with you. Call me at 501-514-4842 and I'll give you his phone number.

old red dog

Richard,
Thanks for your reply. I`ve been tied up with work but may try to call this weekend. Glad Marvin is willing to visit a bit. I`ll try to connect with you this weekend, maybe in the evening. You in the same time zone as me?...................Best, Jim

Aircraft
Highly modified KB-3
Total Flight Time
950 Gyro - 200 FW
Jim, I'm in the central time zone.....not sure what your time zone is. Call me any time.