Old friends become best friends...

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Gyrochopper1/Air Comm. single/AC side by side/AC tandem. All powered by Subaru EA-81 100 HP
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
When any aircraft reaches 30 years old, it is something special. This modified Bensen started out as a much used glider back in 1982. Taken to Bensen days that year, it took rides all day every day, that year. VW was put on that winter, and stayed its power for 30 years. Was flown in at least 15 different states, from Florida to Calif to Wisconsin, Texas, etc. Spent this Spring and Summer refurbishing to new condition with Subaru 100 HP EA-81. Now flying it every nice day or evening. As near to a helicopter in looks and performance as a Gyro can be. Still need a take off roll, but, off the ground it is as good as a Helicopter at a fraction of hourly cost. Plus Gyros last, pert near forever and sip fuel like we all want. At 3.60 a gal, about 11.00 an hour. Now sporting a RAF rudder, (I use this rudder on 3 of my 4 machines.)

Attachments

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Gyrochopper1/Air Comm. single/AC side by side/AC tandem. All powered by Subaru EA-81 100 HP
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
After over 25 Subaru EA-81 installations since 1989, it occurred to me to try running this jewel of an engine at lower airplane RPM's, (direct drive). Bingo! 2600 wide open, 2300 criuse. It had good torque there and power. The 100 HP version is almost unavailable now being 1980's engine. No prop hubs available either. Bochard lit the fire on this engine. Tony Stiles made it a practical alterernative to the Rotax. Dave Pike and I made it work for our needs. Even Capt. Dennis Fetters gave up on it with his short try in the 80's. But it has been the backbone of my whole training and rides run for 20+ years. For the past 12 years, just do my own thing, not as a business as such.

Attachments

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Ed that certainly looks in tip top condition, a prized possession for sure.

Enjoy

Steve

StanFoster

Aircraft
Helicycle N360SF
Total Flight Time
Ed- Way to refurbish a nice machine that has given you priceless memories!

Stan

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
With a big area ahead of the mast. A good rudder with aft authority is a must. In a power off situation, the nose could swap ends with inadequate surface. I bought my 1st RAF Rudder back in the 90's from Bochard. Put it on my Air Comm S X S and it was much better then the stock McCutchen Rudder with a wide body craft. Then later I lucked out on two more RAF rudders, one for my Air Comm Tandem, which made it more responsive power off. Now the 2nd one on this refurbished modified Bensen, a real boon to its performance.

Attachments

Last edited:

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Ed, does the tow handle come off for flight? Or is it a permanent fixture?

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
This machine looks really nice, but without a horizontal stabilizer it's not airworthy, IMO.

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
Ben S. Handle has been on for 31 years. After Stan V, has 5000 hrs, he can tell 40 year builder of Rotorcraft, what is airworthy or not? All due respect to a low time novice...

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
Forgot the best shots.

GYROCHOPPER IT IS...
---If ever a machine loved to fly
this girl paws to head for the sky
---born to autorotate just for fun
loves to be out under the sun...

---1st Gyro to ever fly at night
back in 84 at Tullahoma allright
---everyone said that I was nuts
that was back when I had guts...

Attachments

Last edited:

helicopter ed

helicopter ed
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+ all rotorcraft.
Tim, Right, Scorpion 1

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
I love the idea of a permanent handle Ed!

James

Gold supporter
Aircraft
Cessna 150 & 172 & Gyro
Total Flight Time
3700 hrs.
Good to see you posting again, Ed. Was beginning to worry about you.

James Lee

Stan V

Aircraft
Piper Arrow/RAF2000
Total Flight Time
Ben S. Handle has been on for 31 years. After Stan V, has 5000 hrs, he can tell 40 year builder of Rotorcraft, what is airworthy or not? All due respect to a low time novice...
This is a really nice looking gyro. I think the Scorpion cab adds alot to an otherwise basic airframe. BUT (I'll spell it out this time) IN MY OPINION this is an unsafe/unairworthy gyro without a substantial horizontal stabilizer. Even without the cab, it would still need some sort of HS, IMHO. Being a novice doesn't make me stupid.

Last edited:

EI-GYRO

21st Century Crankhandler
All due respect to your 5000 hours, it still could use a stab.

Would love to see the rest of the article, Giorgios.

Seems like it was a wide two-seater with a flat front air-scoop, but now is a single-seater?

Arnie Madsen

Aircraft
Bell 47 G2
Hi Ed .... I am revisiting your thread from a couple of months ago .... I have always thought your adaptation of the Scorpion makes one of the best looking cabins on a single place gyro

Some local (helicopter) pilots were asking if anyone ever puts an enclosure on a basic Bensen , so thanks for the pictures .... I showed them , they like it too , and they said to make sure to tell you :)

Hope you are fine .... are you getting any of this recent winter weather ?

Arnie

Ron Iaconis

GYRO 1 Ron Iaconis
Aircraft
Bensen/Mac&Dual instr W/Steve McGowan's Sparrowhawk&Tandem Parson's
Total Flight Time
Stan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????????????????

Stan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,???????????????????

This is a really nice looking gyro. I think the Scorpion cab adds alot to an otherwise basic airframe. BUT (I'll spell it out this time) IN MY OPINION this is an unsafe/unairworthy gyro without a substantial horizontal stabilizer. Even without the cab, it would still need some sort of HS, IMHO. Being a novice doesn't make me stupid.
Hi Stan,
I personally know Helicopter Ed for some 30 years now,,,,,
He has flown many a gyro and a Scorpion he built too.
I am 100 percent in Ed's court, in that I personally do not use a stab on my Basic Bensen, and if a gyro pilot can fly without a stab,,,,so be it !!!!
To state that it is " Unworthy" or rather "NOT" airworthy,,,,I should say,,,,
That is absolutely not a credible statement coming from you Stan.
Ken Brock, Bill Parsons, and soooooo many more, Willard Myers, George Charlet, Russ Jantzen, man oh man could I go on and on and on on the gyro pilots that have flown very successfully in the past without Horiz Stabs.
I feel that Stan, you probably should keep your opinion to yourself!
Ron

HydroGyroNut

Hydro
Post #15 by Giorgos says it all. It never pays to defy physics. A Horizontal Stabilizer has merit and it is worth every dime as a future long term investment.. I will never fly any gyro which does not have a HS..Period