Old dog new trick

chion00kie

This is my first time to post to a forum. I am an old goat 72 going on 73. I spent most of my life travelling around with the FAA controlling air traffic from Alaska to Louisiana. I'm retired now, living on a lake in a little burg outside of Gainesville, Fl. I have two beautiful identical sons who are both suffering through the first two years of engineering at the University of Florida. Incredibly challenging curriculum! I pray that I live to see them graduate as "Gators". I spent a short time before the FAA wrestling alligators at a marine park for $3.50 an hour. I guess I have an affinity for Gators. With two boys in college I have little funds for another hobby but I really want to build my own gyrocopter as inexpensively as possible so that my wife doesn't divorce me. Where can I get plans that might let me build a gyrocopter that might be flown off of my lake.

I am working with a widow who's husband died from COVID. She is in the Texas Panhandle and has a Bensen, I think an Air Command and a Tango 2 that needs repair he rolled while taxiing.

There are a lot of parts that come with the two single place machines, he purchased them for $8k some time ago.

The Tango needs the following: the frame straightened, rotor blades, rotor head, tail, and and a few other items. It would cost $10-15k to repair. It is one of the first Tangos built and is powered by a 120 hp carbureted Yamaha so pilot and passenger weight is limited when compared to the fuel injected 135 hp models.

Personally, I would use the Carbureted engine on the Air Command and purchase a new 135 hp crate engine from Arctic Cat.

All of it can be had for around $20k or less and less than $8k without the Tango. She is working on getting me some pictures. I plan to go look at everything this summer.

Last edited:
Have you considered a partnership with a guy who needs the financial assistance ? Possibly you could get in the air a bit faster ? Building is great for sure but flying is the dogs bollocks …maybe join a local club and mingle you will find us experimental types very approachable
I have taken so many people skywards just to enjoy the moment with them
please let us know how you proceed

Have you considered a partnership with a guy who needs the financial assistance ? Possibly you could get in the air a bit faster ? Building is great for sure but flying is the dogs bollocks …maybe join a local club and mingle you will find us experimental types very approachable
I have taken so many people skywards just to enjoy the moment with them
please let us know how you proceed
Thank you Greg, I would welcome the opportunity to join with a group of likeminded Gyro-Heads but I don't know where to find them locally. I have built many RC Aircraft and enjoyed being in an RC Modler club in Louisiana. I am now in Florida and having retired from the FAA and the flying community I don't have local contacts that I know. I will keep looking for anyone who might want to share with me.