Number of Registered Gyro's Flying

AgentCheese

Aircraft
Magni M16
Greetings!

I saw Dan Johnson had a list of around 300 gyros actively flying back in 2018. Does anyone have an idea of how many gyro's are flying in 2020? Any ideas where to dig up the info?

Just curious!

Thanks,

Jon

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Hi Dan
First, thank you so much for all you do for our aviation community!!! U-ROCK!

PRA would love to know that # also. Steve UK, may be able to help. He's the forum stat's researcher on accidents.

Could PRA ask a favor?
We are taking a survey of the number of gyroplane hours flown in 2019 in each country and by category of gyro.

Could you help spread the word? The more people in the survey the more accurate the data will be. Just posted it last night.

Here is the link: https://pra.org/HourPerYear.aspx

Here are the results so far.:SurveyResults.jpg

Last edited:

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Yo, Steve UK. Do you have this # or an estimate of registered gyros?

Bump to top!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Depressing to learn.
There are only 279 gyroplanes
listed as being registered in the FAA's database.
Type Aircraft codes:
1 - Glider
2 - Balloon
3 - Blimp/Dirigible
4 - Fixed wing single engine
5 - Fixed wing multi engine
6 - Rotorcraft
7 - Weight-shift-control
8 - Powered Parachute
9 - Gyroplane
H - Hybrid Lift
O - Other

PRA now has the FAA master files of all 290101 registered aircraft.
I sorted them by type and there are only 279 listed as type 9- Gyroplanes.

If you would like a copy of either master file or just the 279 gyro's PRA has them in Excell format.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Further, I've Found 17,747 Registered Rotorcraft = Type 6.
And some of them Are gyroplanes registered as type 6 but have no idea of how many are gyroplanes.
Bummer...
You may have that list too if needed.

AgentCheese

Aircraft
Magni M16
Further, I've Found 17,747 Registered Rotorcraft = Type 6.
And some of them Are gyroplanes registered as type 6 but have no idea of how many are gyroplanes.
Bummer...
You may have that list too if needed.
John,

That would be great if I could get a copy or if you put them where I can get at them.

Thanks!!

AgentCheese

Aircraft
Magni M16
Taking the larger database and selecting known gyroplane kits, I pulled out a confirmed 315 additional gyroplanes, for a new total of 594.

With that said, it looks like it the database only has registrations through the end of 2019. There are a few 2020 builds I know about that aren't in either list. Also, in the larger rotorcraft registration list, there are a LOT of registrations where the manufacturer is not listed, so there is the potential for significantly more.

If Dan's original count of 300 back in 2018 is accurate, that gyroplane registrations have doubled in two years. :)

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Dang, scattered brain-ness.
Before I posted I knew I needed to make sure you knew the time frame the FAA has was up to 2019.

Thank you for sharing your valuable data with PRA. We are auditing/building a better database from now on.
During future surveys as members and the public enter their N# it will be retyped on PRA's database as a Type 9.
Over time it will build and audit itself.

If you have any semi-audited lists you could share. I will provide a dropbox link.

If PRA can help you in any way you only need to mention it and we are All in.
Including any surveys, you would like us to run.

Last edited:

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
The FAA has a lot of gyros listed as type 6, rotorcraft. It's not wrong, it just means a lot of the gyros are lumped in with helos.
What they ought to do, is designate type 6 for helicopters, and change the gyroplanes listed as 6, to 9. That presumes whoever maintains their database actually knows or can tell the difference (sort of unlikely).

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
The FAA has a lot of gyros listed as type 6, rotorcraft. It's not wrong, it just means a lot of the gyros are lumped in with helos.
Yaw Mon, my suspicion is that they added Type 9 = Gyro's and used to combine them. There could be thousands of gyro's comingled in the 17K.
Dan's identified 315 of the 17K.
Our next task is to identify the gyros from the helos listed in Type 6.

AgentCheese

Aircraft
Magni M16
Yaw Mon, my suspicion is that they added Type 9 = Gyro's and used to combine them. There could be thousands of gyro's comingled in the 17K.
Dan's identified 315 of the 17K.
Our next task is to identify the gyros from the helos listed in Type 6.
FYI - I'm not Dan....I just used his data from 2018.. :) My name is Jon (or Cheese!) Thanks for the data!

Second, I'm slowly going throught the 17k database and dropping obvious heli's, like all the US Army Sikorsky's and Apache's and others. Once I narrow it down, I'll start doing more digging. There are also a ton of Drones listed as Type 6 that I'm editing out.

I also took another route and tried to identify # of Gyroplane rated pilot certs, but I couldn't find where the FAA broke out Sport Pilot Gyroplane ratings. They lump all Sport Pilot certs together - they only separate PPL - Gyro and Gyro Commercial Certs.

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
Bear in mind that various private organizations (such as USUA and EAA) have/had their own non-governmental registration systems. These private registrations were significant in the era when 2-place ultralight training vehicles (and BFI instruction) were a thing. With the demise of that program, I suspect that the registration systems have fallen into disuse. There may still be databases disclosing "registered" Part 103 gyros at these organizations, though.

Best guess: At least half of the gyros flying in the U.S. are flown "as Part 103 ultralights." That is, they don't have N-numbers or FAA registrations. IOW, the FAA database substantially under-counts the number of gyros flying.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
FYI - I'm not Dan....I just used his data from 2018.. :) My name is Jon (or Cheese!) Thanks for the data!

Second, I'm slowly going throught the 17k database and dropping obvious heli's, like all the US Army Sikorsky's and Apache's and others. Once I narrow it down, I'll start doing more digging. There are also a ton of Drones listed as Type 6 that I'm editing out.

I also took another route and tried to identify # of Gyroplane rated pilot certs, but I couldn't find where the FAA broke out Sport Pilot Gyroplane ratings. They lump all Sport Pilot certs together - they only separate PPL - Gyro and Gyro Commercial Certs.
Very thankful for the help.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Bear in mind that various private organizations (such as USUA and EAA) have/had their own non-governmental registration systems. These private registrations were significant in the era when 2-place ultralight training vehicles (and BFI instruction) were a thing. With the demise of that program, I suspect that the registration systems have fallen into disuse. There may still be databases disclosing "registered" Part 103 gyros at these organizations, though.

Best guess: At least half of the gyros flying in the U.S. are flown "as Part 103 ultralights." That is, they don't have N-numbers or FAA registrations. IOW, the FAA database substantially under-counts the number of gyros flying.
Good one Doug, I'll ask if we can have a copy of the database if they still have it.
All they can say is no.

I concure, from observation, there are more 103, Fat ultralights at fly-in's and owned by chapter members in most chapters.

Way more 103's!!