NOTICE: Alert for Twinstarr and Lycoming 0-320-B2C owners

barnstorm2

Platinum Member
Aircraft
2-place Air Command CLT SxS (project), & Twinstarr Autogyro
Total Flight Time
750+hrs and climbing
While this is likely an isolated failure I thought everyone should be notified.

While doing a cylinder change this weekend my friend Rick noticed that there was a CRACK in the alternator link adjusting bracket.

Upon further inspection we found that the crack went right through and the alternator adj bolt was holding the 2 pieces ON!

The part number for the part is still active and there is no AD's currently published on it.

the part number is: 74325

Some hangar chat on the issue brought up the possibility that the failure may be caused by renaissance generated by gyros or this particular craft.

PLEASE add checking the part to your pre-flight.

Attachments

MikeBoyette

Gold Member
Aircraft
Dominator
Total Flight Time
200+
Tim,
Glad ya caught that. Going through the prop and possibly up through the rotor would not be good.

WHY

Gold Member
Aircraft
Ercoupe and Cessna 150, 152, 172, 140, Aeronca,7ac, Citabria,Chief,Piper PA11,PA12
Total Flight Time
Hi Tim

Good post, don't know why but alternator adjustment brackets seem to be a problem point on a number of engines, they are also a problem sometimes on the various Subaru conversions, worthy of close inspection constantly.

Tony

Caribean_gyro

Platinum Member
Aircraft
twinstar
Total Flight Time
500+
tanks. In my config I put the alternator on the top right side and in the alternator position I have the gresen hydraulic pump.

CHuckP

I forgot to tell you my bracket is SS. attached is pic of it.
Code:

Attachments

Last edited:

JEFF TIPTON

Aircraft
Grumman AA5
Total Flight Time
Alternator adjustment brackets on Lycoming is not uncommon. When you install the new one make it is not in a bind. You may need to shim with washers to allow contact on both ends without pulling the bracket in.

Rando

Gold Member
they are also a problem sometimes on the various Subaru conversions, worthy of close inspection constantly.Tony
I agree! During a preflight of my EA81 with an Autoflite re-drive I noticed that my alternator assembly had almost vibrated off the engine!

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
...and a friend of mine had one break on a Suzuki-conversion trike... These brackets are strips of sheet metal stuck between two heavy objects. One heavy object (the engine) is vibrating like a dog shaking off water and the other one doesn't want to vibrate. That's a recipe for some serious pounding on the bracket.