Northern Brazil, São Luiz, Maranhão State

foolofsand

Aircraft
cessna 182---sold
Total Flight Time
150 fixed wing
this is not funny...is this a definite possibility even with a good pre flight

rdalcanto

Any word on the cause? Bearing block installed incorrectly? Failed Jesus bolt? That seems like something that should never happen!

Doug Riley

Platinum Member
It won't happen, with competent design, fabrication, maintenance and preflight.

This does not happen randomly, ever.

phantom

Doug , in most cases I agree with you but not this time, it can happen especially after new hardware is installed, on my first gyro I had been flying with wood blades and when I got my first set of aluminum blades I replaced the teeter bolt with a new bolt and nut, on my first trip around the bay I enjoyed my new blades but when I landed I found that I only had a cotter pin and washers left on the teeter bolt, the nut was missing, my dad found half of the not on the ice about five miles from where I took off, you could see that it was cracked during manufacturing and had some how got into the ok bin, this was back in the early to mid seventies so before a bunch of counterfeit bolts and nuts got into the market, there is a name for things that happen from removing good parts and replacing them with faulty ones but I can't remember it now but on that occasion it almost got me.
Norm