Norman Surplus and James Ketchal. Gyros around the world by two Brits.

Now that is a cross country trip! I would like to go coast to coast just in the US.
You know I've heard that from many rotorcraft pilots.

I'd love to advertise a group flight of 50 and meet along the route adding to the group and do just that. Heck, I'd fly all the way first and then come back with you. What do you think, are you in?

Having flown Pipers back from both factories to our dealership in San Diego was some of the most fun we had. My brother, father, and I used to fight over who would go get them.

Where are they now? All-In - I bet Barry would want to go in his AR-1. I’d like to do a coast to coast trip someday too, but I am plane less now with hopes to buy a Husky soon.

Those maps don’t provide any details. Wonder how to show where they are on Google maps? Assume it’s mountainous area in Alaska? Must be a great trip.

Those maps don’t provide any details. Wonder how to show where they are on Google maps? Assume it’s mountainous area in Alaska? Must be a great trip.
ZOOM ...in on those tracker-maps ...... +++++ ....gives you all sorts of details & can change to earth view in settings ...also click on track points ...for speed & elevation & time data on the gyro @ that spot! .....I have been flying with them - vicariously!
...then enjoy pics & videos when posted!

So far I have done KS to E Coast in Florida, Arizona to El mirage ..... so just the KS to AZ section & El Mirage to CA coast to complete! S-N Gulf coast to Canadian border would be fun also!

ZOOM ...in on those tracker-maps ...... +++++ ....gives you all sorts of details & can change to earth view in settings ...also click on track points ...for speed & elevation & time data on the gyro @ that spot! .....I have been flying with them - vicariously!
...then enjoy pics & videos when posted!
Are your maps still up? All I get is a blank page.

Gyrozprey - What gyro do you fly? Is it an MTO or the Italian one?
Christine is a Tag dealer and she's flown across USA and Australia in them. She's our gyro gypsy queen.

My yellow 912 Titanium Explorer ...that I put 200 hours on before selling to Mark Sodamann.
Lots of great 2017 trips - KS to Florida for Sebring LightSport Expo & a fun time visiting friends around FL during Jan/Feb 2017. Also enjoyed 5 days great adventures around Moab in June ... before ROTR 2017 & flew down to Justin Propwash 16X -(TAGNA HQ) to unload from container, my new Red 914 TE that I had flown 60 hours, 3000NM around SE Australia during April/May ( my only means of transport for 6 weeks with-in OZ ...visiting friends & attending ASRA Nationals in South Australia!) ...Attended Mentone with Yellow then trailered Red to Arizona ...where with Britta ...we flew to ElMirage event!
The second pic is our happy arrival at Hesperia - after 6.5 hours flying from San Manuel AZ(Britta's home base) via rest/fuel stops in Buckeye & Blythe . we stayed overnight in Hesperia before flying out to ElMirage next morning!

2017 ...was my big year of adventures & epic cross-country flights! Last year one great XC ...KS to Louisiana for a delivery flight.....lots of road-tripping by trailer ...to events & doing demo-flights/promotions! ....This year ....BLAH!:cry: ...BUT ...the light is beginning to shine again & we should be back to flying in time for Mentone! :)

Picture credit to Pam Holly!
Mentone2017 C3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1353.JPG
    IMG_1353.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 8
GyroGypsy Spot-tracks Jan-Feb 2017 KS-FL,
April-May 6 weeks In Australia ... SamPolyak(TAG test pilot's place) to Goolwa (Sth Aust.)to Jamestown ( Jim's farming, trucking friends.. the Downings - where his, then OUR gyro-mania all began!) ...& across NSW & up to my brother's place in Qld ...then down to my beach place on Sunshine coast! ( The great SEQGC fellas at Caboolture housed my gyro for 2 weeks in their hangar & Bruce Layt loaned me a vehicle! ...so I enjoyed some beach-time) ... then returned via my brother's place & hangar space at my pilots friends @ Stanthorpe airport & final flight back to Polyak field ...with a night at a motel in Gunedah!
June ... 5 days around Moab ... based at Canyon lands airport!

Attachments

• IMG_0467.jpg
    IMG_0467.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0612.jpg
    IMG_0612.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_0648.jpg
    IMG_0648.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0654.jpg
    IMG_0654.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0703.jpg
    IMG_0703.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
AND ...James & Norm were flying again today ...been watching their tracking along the Iditarod trail from MGrath to Willow AK ..... looks like an amazing scenic flight through Denali NP!

For Sure ...now this forum is user-friendly again ...I'll have to start thread to share it all!

My friends (& primary gyro CFI) Desmon & Crissy Butts were up in Alaska on a 24 hour flying visit ...taking care of their house @ Wasilla ...I suggested they connect with James & Norman ...also in the area! They managed to cross paths ...just after the gyro-adventurer's had landed at Merrill field! - arrived in Anchorage!
I cannot find a way to link Crissy's video she took of the pair in an impromptu hangar interview! ....but here is a link to her Facebook page with their pictures & the video!
https://www.facebook.com/cheerstoyo...z9P1s_XDcI_bsfjItK3RvxjL3F6V9bzoX5eW9zvjSDotM

Good try Wolvie ...but wrong video!:rolleyes: ...I managed the picture ...at least!1144699

Attachments

• Global gyro & Des.jpg
    Global gyro & Des.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Today his tracker says McMinnville, so I went down there and could not find him or the machines.

Congratulations to Norman Surplus - the first person to circumnavigate the world in a gyro - what an adventure!!!