Norman Surplus and James Ketchal. Gyros around the world by two Brits.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Yes it is a fantastic global achievement for Norman and his gyrocopter, quality pilot, quality gyro and quality engine. Well done. And best wishes to James who is well on his way too.

Kevin_Richey

Yamaha gyro...Oregon, USA
Aircraft
Sport Copter gyroplane
Total Flight Time
300+ gyroplane, 11 tail-dragger airplane, 1.5 powered parachute
Quite the accomplishment, reported by one of our local television news stations (a Fox News agency!).
Although, the "Oregon man" part of the headline is inaccurate, since he is from Great Britain (Ireland, isn't it?). He states flying his gyroplane is like a flying "motorbike", a term not common here in the US, but is in GB.

No mention of cancer awareness (the original journey's goal since he was diagnosed w/ it), or the trials of being denied crossing the airspace of some countries such as Russia, or severe weather, or a mishap emergency landing (crash?).

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Xenon Gyroplane, Cessna 182
Total Flight Time
GyroGypsy Spot-tracks Sunshine coast! ( The great SEQGC fellas at Caboolture housed my gyro for 2 weeks in their hangar & Bruce Layt loaned me a vehicle! ...so I enjoyed some beach-time) ... then returned via my brother's place & hangar space at my pilots friends @ Stanthorpe airport & final flight back to Polyak field ...with a night at a motel in Gunedah!
June ... 5 days around Moab ... based at Canyon lands airport!

Chris,
I learned to fly gyros in Caboolture from Alan Wardell and a few flights with Murray. Great guys for sure. Got my Aussie license before my US gyro add on . That was in 2004. After arriving in Oz via sailboat from Florida. In 2005 I went back to the US and between March and October flew to all 48 states in the Continental US, becoming the first person to do so. James will be the 2nd and he’ll have 49 states. I’ve all flown my gyro Florida- Colorado, Colorado- Oshkosh, Colorado-Moab. Also got to fly FW all over Oz, Snowy Mtns. Ayers Rock, Mildura to Adelaide. Loved flying in Oz.
Www.gyroamerica.com

Last edited:

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Chris,
I learned to fly gyros in Caboolture from Alan Wardell and a few flights with Murray. Great guys for sure. Got my Aussie license before my US gyro add on . That was in 2004. After arriving in Oz via sailboat from Florida. In 2005 I went back to the US and between March and October flew to all 48 states in the Continental US, becoming the first person to do so. James will be the 2nd and he’ll have 49 states. I’ve all flown my gyro Florida- Colorado, Colorado- Oshkosh, Colorado-Moab. Also got to fly FW all over Oz, Snowy Mtns. Ayers Rock, Mildura to Adelaide. Loved flying in Oz.
Www.gyroamerica.com
You learned from one of ASRA's best with Allan ...was that in the RAFTOR??? ...I had an awesome flight in RAFTOR with Allan ...along the Bribe Is beach a few years ago!
The Aussie great spaces & airspace is SO different to here in the US! I shake my head in disbelief now looking back at my solo adventures there in April-May 2017!

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Butterfly Aurora N5560Z / Titanium Explorer N456TE & N488TE/ - trained in MTOsport 446QT/488FB
Total Flight Time
Latest V-log from James ...... note one of our vociferous members was @ Sportcopter & mentioned/ shown on the v-log!

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
You learned from one of ASRA's best with Allan ...was that in the RAFTOR??? ...I had an awesome flight in RAFTOR with Allan ...along the Bribe Is beach a few years ago!
The Aussie great spaces & airspace is SO different to here in the US! I shake my head in disbelief now looking back at my solo adventures there in April-May 2017!
At the time Alan had his stabbed RAF and was a senior ck airman for Quantas in the 747-400. And a great instructor. That coast was a beautiful place for flying lessons. One of the skills I learned was to make a low pass before landing to chase the kangaroos off the grass runway. 😀.
In 2007 a friend and I did a delivery flight in a newly built Sparrowhawk over some really rough terrain in Oz to a small airfield on the beach somewhere in NSW, but y favorite trip was following the Mildura river through the Outback in Vic. Blue river, then incredible green fields extending 5-10 miles each side and then red dirt as far as the eye could see in every direction. Lived in Oz 3 years and loved every minute of it.

Kolibri

FW and Gyros
Aircraft
Cessna 152, 172, 172RG, 177, 206 -- Piper 180 -- RV-7A -- Calidus -- RAF2000 -- Sport Copter II and
Total Flight Time
1000+
My hearty congratulations to Norman Surplus for his dogged success around the world, and to James Ketchell enroute to being the next! I wish you both further amazing adventures! See you at Oshkosh!

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Come see them and meet them at Mentone. Much smaller venue and all rotorcraft lovers in one place.

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Hoping Mentone will be an attractive destination for Norman & James.....those of us who put in volunteer time & prep-work in the days prior to PRA convention ...obviously cannot be @ Oshkosh! I was pleased to see that C92 is listed on James 48state circuit ....now it's up to the weather to allow the timing!JK 48states.jpg

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Hoping Mentone will be an attractive destination for Norman & James.....those of us who put in volunteer time & prep-work in the days prior to PRA convention ...obviously cannot be @ Oshkosh! I was pleased to see that C92 is listed on James 48state circuit ....now it's up to the weather to allow the timing!
Has he started the 48 state tour? Is there a way to track the progress?

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Do they know when they will be here in San Diego? Bet it on or after the 5th. The day I fly back to Mentone to start installing all of this new equipment?

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Has he started the 48 state tour? Is there a way to track the progress?
I’m helping with a few routing suggestions and logistics. James will be moving daily down the Cali coast with some family and friend visits along the way. John I’m not sure if they have hangar space is San Diego yet, can you help with that?

GyrOZprey

Aussie in Kansas.
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Last night @ Crescent City ( far N CA) ....after a sweet run down the coast!
Today another coastal hugging flight to San Francisco area ...landed @ half moon Bay after a detour to view the Bay bridge! ... sure hope Paul Hollingsworth caught up with them ( just 30 mins flight to his base @ San Martin E16)

James tracker ...(. you can look at details of alt& speed, location ...time .by clicking on the spots! & change map view ...topo/street/aerial) .... https://share.garmin.com/CaptainKetch?fbclid=IwAR28D5gkrmegTcaisbFb6LXdwe8TWXkEksk9o-c2r5U6X3u8JuzT8pGJQoA

Norman's tracker ...

Yesterdays run down the Oregon coast from McMinnville to Crescent City.... V-log! ...

j bird

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Dominator/Airworthiness Certificate 9/06/12
Total Flight Time
26.5 duel,RAF,Sparrow-Hawk,Cavalon,Calidus.
I'm only 50 miles from Crescent City, wish I knew what time they would have been arriving, I would have taken a jaunt to the coast to see them come in.

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
John I’m not sure if they have hangar space is San Diego yet, can you help with that?
I cannot call the hanger office until 9:AM. I'll call and asked. Last two times I got hangars for Crish K, and Greg Grimminger.
If I can get them a hangar who can contact them to let them know.

ventana7

Gold Member
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
I cannot call the hanger office until 9:AM. I'll call and asked. Last two times I got hangars for Crish K, and Greg Grimminger.
If I can get them a hangar who can contact them to let them know.
I’m in touch with them. They are going into Montgomery.
Rob

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Rob
Hi Rob... I need your help. We are calling the media informing them about the around the world flight. I need a date(s) that they will be at Mentone to bump someone from there seminar spot and give it to them. Also, the media wants to be here for them too. So I need a date as soon as possible.

Can you help us out?

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Rob
I sent an email to [email protected] letting them know we can make hangar space for him near Houston. Is there a better way to get ahold of Norman? He should be flying through our area in a day or two, weather permitting.