Normal flight attitude

Mike Hook

Aircraft
Dominator
What is the normal attitude of the dominator frame in flight? I am asking this so I may machine my carb adapter for the ea-81 to set level in flight. Setting on the bench level it looks like a will need adapter set at a 20 degree angle but I know there will be a nose down angle to take into account.
Thanks
Mike

What is the normal attitude of the dominator frame in flight? I am asking this so I may machine my carb adapter for the ea-81 to set level in flight. Setting on the bench level it looks like a will need adapter set at a 20 degree angle but I know there will be a nose down angle to take into account.
Thanks
Mike

Give Ernie a call for more useful information.

The Dominators I have flown flew close enough to level that I didn’t notice any pitch angle in straight and level flight.

A divergence of opinion.

A divergence of opinion.

Any possibility of a hang test ? that should be close

In my opinion most correctly set up gyroplanes hang some degree of nose down when hanging from the teeter bolt because in level flying the disk and the rotor thrust vector will be tilted back.

In other words I feel the angle a gyroplane hangs in a hang test is not representative of the pitch it will fly.

The Predator hangs around seven degrees nose down and flies level.

It should hang 8* to 12* nose down, AUW. in the hang test.

Just for your information and entertainment. Last year around 29 August I jumped down from an Aurora we were "hang testing". It was only up about 3 feet. Well..., found out I have onset osteoporosis. Mild compression fracture of T9, so there will be no more "jumping" down. Ladders for the "old man" please.!! The attached document might help a little in the understanding of the "hang test".

Attachments

• Hang Test B8M.jpg
    Hang Test B8M.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Looking at the intake I have I need an adapter wih a 18 degree angle.
Mike

The Dominator should hang nose down, but in straight and level flight, the keel and engine will be level. During the hang test, the frame is not subject to the forces in flight. The rotor drag will pull the top of the mast back while the engine thrust pushes the lower part of the mast forward yielding level attitude in flight.

I have always just used the standard manifold on EA81 motors, if you look at the motor in a car, the motor is nose up and not level anyway.

If I were you I would just use it how it came out of the car at least until the machine is ready for testing... then if you have to make an adapter with a degree change, do it then. It would be a waste to guess an angle and make a spacer only to find you guessed wrong. I would say you want the carb level with the crank line of the motor.... if the motor is nose up or nose down a few degrees, the carb can handle it... if the motor is nose up or down more than that, there is something wrong somewhere

It won't be level while climbing, decending or banking anyways.

Muz I will have to have an adapter anyway. The weber is not a direct bolt on. The intake is a ea-82 so i can have my water inlet turned to the front of the engine. The ea-82 intake is off a single point fuel injection engine. Not really a carb mount.

Barry, i agree on your point. If leveled for most of flight time i feel the float in carb will do a better job.