Non-Hangered Gyroplane

JJ Campbell

I live in Northern Virginia and all the hangers have 2 year waiting lists. How detrimental is it to a canopied Gyroplane to leave it outside tied down? Needless to say, I'd use a good cover purchased from the manufacturer.

I would not like to leave a gyroplane outside for more than a few days even with a nice cover.

In my experience you can often find someone with a fixed wing or helicopter who will share a hangar with a gyroplane because they take up so little room.

I would begin by inquiring with the local EAA chapter and just getting to know people at the airport. There is usually someone there who knows everything that is going on at the airport and knows who has room.

If there is a bulletin board you might post a picture of your aircraft with your request.

The fixed base operator (FBO) may have a line on some hangar space or even a place to park in their hangar. That is usually what I do when traveling cross country.

I have always been able to find hangar space for my clients when they need to store their aircraft at Santa Maria even when they had a five year waiting list.

I have always been able to find hangar space when flying at an airshow.

Thanks for the good advice, Vance. If I share with a fixed-wing, I'll have to push the plane out and back in coming and going to get the gyroplane up off/on the back wall. With this in mind, do you think offering to pay 1/3 of the monthly rent is fare?

I have never concerned myself about what is fair.

I feel if it got my aircraft out of the weather paying 100% might work for me.

I pay $220 per month for a T hangar at Santa Maria that could probably fit four gyroplanes. Someone could pay me 100% to hangar their gyroplane and I would still rather have my hangar to myself.

I have a friend who pays $800 per month for a less nice hanger at San Luis Obispo (SBP) and another friend who pays around that for a less nice hangar at Santa Ynez (IZA).

I doubt if they worry about it not being fair because commuting the 25 miles to Santa Maria is not worth the cost savings to them.

I just negotiate the best deal I can and keep looking for a better deal that suits my needs.

I have found joy and value in the comradery of sharing a hangar. I enjoy hangar flying with the right people almost as much as flying.

I have usually found hangar space to share where I don't have to push the other aircraft in an out.

Sharing a hanger may be a temporary solution.

The two year hangar lists my not be that long because some people are waiting for specific hangar.

When I got my hangar there were six people ahead of me and they all had reasons to prefer a different hangar.

I rejected two hangers before I took mine because of the direction of the wind in relation to the door.

Sometimes you can rent the end hangar in a T hangar row that is just big enough for a gyorplane.

Sometimes tee hangars have space for only "half a plane" at the end of the building, where a gyro can easily fit. That's my situation, actually. I just had to explain that my "wingspan" (actually wheelspan) was only about six feet, but that I needed a full 28 feet of length.

Many years ago, here is Dickson; the airport authority built an enclosed T- hanger. At each opposing ends is a 1/2 bay. I approached the authority and offered to sign a 5 year lease, If they would install a 12' tall rollup "garage style" door in the end 1/2 bay. They did and I had my own space with enough room for a small shop.
It was Dead space for them, by installing a rollup door, it become an income producing space. It is a win win situation.

An open-cockpit gyro should definitely not be left outside exposed to rain, hail, and snow, even with a cover. Frankly I don't even think leaving an enclosed aircraft outside in snow is a good idea either.