No-Fatalities Gyro crash near Ft. Meade, Florida

HiFlite

I saw this on the ABC national news an hour ago: ABC

1) Yellow gyroplane (AR-1?) suffered what was described as a "hard landing" into a rural swamp. Gyro is upright, mast and one rotor destroyed, the rest intact.
2) Polk County Sheriff's helicopter sent to the scene also "landed hard". Chopper on its side, half underwater. One of the two on board injured.
3) Coast Guard helicopter arrived and pulled all three out without further incident.

Could have been much worse ...

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
3600+ .. New to gyroplanes
I believe there were only two. The gyro student pilot whose engine quit after he heard a "bang" and the helicopter pilot.
The gyroplane engine out landing was good but soon after touchdown he realized he landed in very soft sand as the wheels dug in and it started to flip to one side. The rotor hit the marsh and stopped it turning over. He tried walking out to the dirt road that was 350 feet away but realized he was in quick sand and returned to sit in the gyro and call for help.
Unfortunately the help came in the form of a Bell heli from the Sheriff and he thinks he was told to hang on to the skid and as they left the heli could not pull up and got out of control rotating and slung him off and then rolled over upside down and broke apart. The heli pilot was hanging upside down but was able to cut himself loose. Then the heli started to smoke and both had to crawl on their stomachs farther away. They did not stand up because of fear of sinking in the sand. An air boat tried t get to them but could not. then coastguard helicopter was flown from ClearWater and got them both. The gyro student pilot has sprained neck and shoulder from being slung from the heli. The heli pilot is ok.

loftus

Aircraft
Aircam
Total Flight Time
500 hours
Good to hear everyone OK. Retrieving either of those aircraft sounds like an expensive proposition.

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
If you ever wondered how a problem with a gyro engine could cost half a million dollars, here you go.

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
If you ever wondered how a problem with a gyro engine could cost half a million dollars, here you go.
Yeah. But he flew right over the dirt road 350 feet behind his landing spot also. He thought he was landing in tall 3 foot grass. He is a student pilot and new and obviously does not recognize the Florida terrain. When you see a Phosphate mine retention of runoff, you definitely do not want to g in there. Mosaic has them all over Florida. They are nasty

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
Good to hear everyone OK. Retrieving either of those aircraft sounds like an expensive proposition.
Probably a helicopter lift

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
What motor and why did it quit?

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA

Chris Burgess

GYRO-CFI
Aircraft
Many makes and models, prefer open frame, Sold my SnoBird Tandem
Total Flight Time
3400+
A Huey can lift a Loach (OH-6). Did that too many times in 68-69 Vietnam. Took a Chinook to sling out the Huey. So let it be written, so let it be done.!! Best wishes on the recoveries.
Slinging out an OH-6.jpg

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
What motor and why did it quit?
It was a Rotax 914UL with about 135 hours on it. I don't know why it quit and what was the bang sound as the student pilot called it. Was it some kind of bird strike or a catastrophic internal engine failure? I don't know yet

WHUBBS

Aircraft
Magni M-22 Voyager
Total Flight Time
1522 fw / 1020 gyro
463 JW is reserved but not assigned according to FAA registration, this must not be the correct number ??

Tyger

Aircraft
Magni M16
Total Flight Time
463 JW is reserved but not assigned according to FAA registration, this must not be the correct number ??
Not sure what you are looking at. FAA shows that its certificate was issued on 09/14/2018, and it airworthiness was 2 weeks after that.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
I'm not a pilot but have been lucky enough to fly in Mi-24 Hind, Mi-2, Mi-17, Lynx HAS3, Gliders, GA
Try the link I provided for you just four posts up

Eric S

Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex & AAI (Sparrowhawk) RAF
A Huey can lift a Loach (OH-6). Did that too many times in 68-69 Vietnam. Took a Chinook to sling out the Huey. So let it be written, so let it be done.!! Best wishes on the recoveries.
Cool pic!

One of my CFIs was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam and told some great stories. Like the time his tail rotor was shot up and he had to skid it back on the ground at 40 mph. He said he jumped out, tossed the keys to the mechanic and yelled "give me another one!"

Steve_UK

Aircraft
FAA ASIAS report confirms gyro as AR-1 N463JW - no other insight at this time - "AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, MOSAIC, FL."

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
The gyroplane will be here with us by tomorrow.
Facts as I know at this time subject to change. It experienced engine out and executed an emergency landing unfortunately in sinking soft clay and water, quicksand ground.
Have no idea right now why the engine stopped completely. Engine is a Rotax 914UL and has 135 or more hours on it.

Sheriff heli crashed trying to have the pilot of gyro hang on to one skid which put the heli out of lateral CG and thus out of control it seems and it rolled over trying to climb up.

Steve_UK

Aircraft
Daily Mail publishes some muddy images of pilot Jeff from online videos he uploaded, also mentions a later MRI scan - hopefully on the mend

fara

AR-1 gyro manufacturer
Aircraft
AR-1
Total Flight Time
Daily Mail publishes some muddy images of pilot Jeff from online videos he uploaded, also mentions a later MRI scan - hopefully on the mend

Interesting. Well Jeff is fine and out. He was here yesterday and the day before.