night flying

rightstick

scott wolf
Total Flight Time
400 fw 56 rw
I was thinking today about how many guys fly their Helicycle's at night. I've really enjoyed the time at night when I've been in the R22. Also, When mine is completed I will be flying from my house and wonder if anyone has done anything with lighting at their LZ.

Scott

Scott, In your experience with the R22, do you find an Artificial Horizon to be an essential piece of hardware for night flying ?

I've seen Helicycles with what appear to be landing lights installed up front, but I have never come across any stories about Helicycle night flying.

Mylo

Last edited:
I flew my Brantly a lot at night and it had no gyro instruments at all. I did avoid dark nights when you couldn't see the horizon. I made several flights in an R-22 at night, around downtown Atlanta. Again no artificial horizon.

Bryan brings up a good point - if there's not a visible horizon or enough cultural lighting to maintain reference you shouldn't be there as a VFR pilot in the first place.

None of the piston ships I've flown had artificial horizons, with plenty of night flying.

What I really wish I could have if I had to fly at night - NVG's! I miss those, even the old AN/PVS-5 cutaway's we used in the 80's beat unaided.

I didn't put nav/instrument lights on mine as I never intended to fly it at night and wanted to keep the wiring and weight to a minimum.

Mike

New EKP V with add on can be feasible solution EFIS for night VFR
EFIS2.png

http://www.avmap.us/avionics/instruments/EFIS

I have the same experiences with the ground lighting. I would only fly over well lit areas.
The avmap looks like a nice unit and would be nice for situational awareness. I do find it interesting that more helicycle owners don't take advantage of night flight. I've flown both planes and helicopters at night. The helicopter was a much richer experience what with the lower altitude, and slower speeds.