Nice Tail Brent Brown...

2 small alu cheeks not not going to work with that tail. the spar is not as wide as the foam. the spar is glassed to one side like a web to keep it from spinning in side the foam. If any of you never get a tail like this I would like to help you do any mods to it.

Scott look for a message from me.

Here is the finished tail. Before primering of course, sorry pics are not good.
Smooth as a baby's butt, and solid as a rock!

Attachments

• tail1.JPG
    tail1.JPG
    21.6 KB · Views: 1
  • tail 2.JPG
    tail 2.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1
  • gyro side.JPG
    gyro side.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
Screw-In

God, that looks so good....I so jelous.

Screw-Out

Newby question,
I'm sorry to be slow but I'm not seeing what attaches the control horn to the tail. It would seem that it would need a very strong connection. I see the through bolts connecting it to the center tube but what keeps that tube from turning in the foam? Is it welded to the horizontal cross tubes for attachment? BTW it is a beautiful tail as well as a beautiful gyro.

Last edited:
One other newby question... I have read and understand the reasons why high thrustlines are bad but this gyro seems like it would be able to have a low thrust line. If high thrust line causes an improper pitch movement would a slightly low thrustline be better in some ways than CLT?

JazzenJohn,
The rudder was made with an aluminum tube spar running down the length. I cut the bottom off, and I made a new rudder horn, and welded steel tubing to the rudder horn. The steel tubing slips inside the aluminum tube, then it has two bolts running through it to make a solid connection. then I re-glassed the bottom.

Scott, I think what JazzenJohn is asking is what keeps the tail from spinning around the center tube in an uncommanded manner. In other words how is the tail anchored to the center tube?

It is not hard to visualize this happening if there isn't any glass sticking to the tube at the ends or a mechanical means of attachment.

Edited to add this: Brent, do you do any vacuum bagging?

The tube is expoxied to the foam and it looks like the foam was split down one side, and the epoxy connects to the glass on the outside skin. Very strong and light.

Yes Scott that is right, micro bubbles and epoxy are mixed to keep it from running out as it dries joining the side of the tube to the skin. The skin has to be put on before the Spar web dries so it bonds as one.
If not you have to sand the web making lots of work and mess.

No vac bagging yet. You need good mold for that my work is free hand.