newbie looking for autogyro advice

jamie1977

hi all I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice on autogyros.
I have been looking for one for a while now and have been offered a strange looking one, I don't know the name, make or model, tried doing some research about it and what its worth but only managed to find one photo on google which is this autogyro.jpg.
the fella that has got it doesn't know anything about it either and just asked me to make him an offer to take it away.
I had a look and there is no rotors and no windows but everything seems to be there at a glance and even sat on a nice galvanised trailer.
just looking for any information and what do you think its worth offering him?
thanks for any help in advance

Hi

Not sure why you'd want to accquire a gyro product that you or your seller know nothing about.

How about accquiring a machine that is currently a flyer or has been a flyer recently.

Has the above ever flown.

Ask yourself why this is the only photo of this type you can find on the WWW.

Take Care

This was in our hangar at kemble years ago. No idea whose it was. We were going to put magni blades on it but things went wrong with the airfield. We struggled to taxi it. It will never fly and looks in a state now.
Amazed me how much work someone must have put into it.

I think you could make a very nice flying gyro out of it but the main gear needs to move back and a nose wheel put on it, it would be a cute little critter, what engine is in it? That would be one thing that will make a big difference to its value. This would be a project for someone who is experienced in designing, building and flying gyros, definitely not a beginners project.
Norm

If you wanted to leave the gear as is and add another tail wheel you may be able to put a fixed spindle head on it and put enough power to the rotor to do vertical take off and landing but nose gear is still better.
Norm.

hi I had another look at it today it doesn't look like theres much to make its all there apart from windows and rotors there is two rotax twin cylinder water cooled engines type 532. everything looks well made and brand new but just looks a bit weathered now where its been outside. was this the only one made or was it a prototype for a production kit? the chap seems to think it was made by an engineering group in a university but he is not sure of this fact. as I said before everything is made to a high standard and everything looks like it is made specifically for this build but I maybe wrong.

It's your call.

Have you run the idea passed the LAA Engineering guys.

Very pretty machine, but.....

Very pretty machine, but.....

That photo is at least 15 years old, and probably considerably more.
The machine is almost certainly a one-off.
Even if you could get it sorted and flying, your chances of getting it
legally approved in the UK are somewhere between nil and sod all.

Unless you are a multi-millionaire legal eagle with a lot of time to spare.
And even then...... :(

But surely whoever built it and put that amount of money into it would surely would have built it to air worthy spec ???
As I said in the previous post everything seems to be machined and made to a high spec, it even looks like it has a pair of one off pair of machined billet hydraulic calipers for brakes custom made fan hub and blades like I have never seen before to all other metal components that are not aluminum are made out of stainless even the belt drums that connect to the rear shaft to the tea duct have clutches on them and down to every nut and bolt having safety wire.with all tho in mind what would it be worth?? Even if it is only for splitting it for the parts???

In summary,

Not complete
Not registered
Not flown
Not LAA type approved
Gathering dust for the past decade

There has to be better options

Jamie,

My advice, for what it's worth, is to be very careful about considering buying this machine with an intent to fly. Researching the copyright label, it appears to be a one-off display model probably not meant to fly but to be made for showing at a fair or symposium.

Are you an existing gyro pilot? If not, you would have to be trained on a different machine which may have totally different handling characteristics. Therefore whoever would be teaching you would probably not be aware of how your eventual machine handles. This is potentially very dangerous. If you are an existing pilot, then it is entirely your call but I agree with others that I think you will have a hard time getting a permit to fly from the LAA or CAA, especially without knowledge of construction.

Unless you either get in touch with the builder, or want to break it up or show it as an advertising piece, I would look elsewhere.

If you are serious about flying a Gyroplane, learn safely on a factory machine and then decide what you wish to buy.

Just my advice. I operate from South Wales if you want to discuss.

Kind regards,

Arfur Bryant

Hi all I would rather build one as I am an engineer but will probably buy a more conventional one
I have just had a message from the owner of the gyro and he has offered it to me for £2000 so might just buy it anyway
What do you guys think????
And I do appreciate all of your advice

That's not much money so you can buy it and display it as an interesting curiosity and decoration, but it would be very unwise to try to fly it (after adding rotors).

I guess it all depends on;

I guess it all depends on;

how much pain you will feel on dropping 2K.
It is certainly pretty, and would make a great conversation piece, particularly if you were able to ascertain its background story.

The engine is unlikely to be worth anything from lack use/age.

If I could drop 2K with no pain, I'd buy it myself, just as a curiosity.

Please note; I'm not being sarcastic or trying to be a smartarse.

If you want to build a machine and fly it legally with the minimum fuss,
get an old clapped out single-seater, and "restore" it with 100% new parts.

Check with the LAA/BRA for acceptability before you part with any cash.

Good luck with your quest.

If you can sell the two engines and the trailer for $2000, then I'd grab it and you would end up with it for free. Maybe he will take 1000.

I rememer this one.... contact Tony Unwin of GYRATE in new Zealand, I believe he managed to taxi it about 15 years ago. £2,000 is a lot to pay for 2 x 532s and some scrap metal, in my opinion. It will never fly in the UK, never. You would need plans, a build log, an inspector that would check it over, a CAA test pilot certified on type, and a full complete stress calculation.... and soooo much more. It would cost tens of thousands just to get a single seat dominator flying in the UK, I dare not guess how much this would cost except many tens of thousands, possibly hundreds, proof of section T complience, CLT or large H/S proof of stability, insurance, passenger liability, type conversion... the list goes on and on and each would be a huge hurdle to jump. You are not buying a gyro, you are buying 2 x 2 stroke engines that are no longer manufactured. To sell those engines you will need log books, (unless you can find another use eg hovercraft) but they will probably need complete rebuilds after this time. it is a garden ornament I believe . could it be converted into a boat of some kind ? put it on skis and blast across the ice. they may even use it in a bond film, or as a fan on a film set but you would have to manage the 2 stroke exhaust. I know of no twin engined gyroplane flying anywhere in the world right now. A uk gyro licence allows you to fly a single piston engined gyrplane, I would love to help and give you encouragement but I think a reality check is best. If you want a reality check talk with the LAA before spending any cash. And if you want to send me a pm with your phone number I am also happy to discuus gyros with you. I fly a legal single seat gyro here in the UK. The best chance we have for new lower cost machines in the UK is Aviomania or a possible SSDR category.
If you want a gyro, buy one with a permit but after you have a gyro licence. maybe itcomes with a great trailer ?
best regards Peter

Last edited:
From the sound of the pro's who have responded to registering it and flying her not being realistic... I would say if you can afford it has your children's or grandchildren and when no one is looking for you to fly in imagination land as a playhouse in your front or backyard; then buy it. Make a great landmark sign for a business?

Last edited:
Last edited:
hi all I am new to the forum and am looking for some advice on autogyros.
I have been looking for one for a while now and have been offered a strange looking one, I don't know the name, make or model, tried doing some research about it and what its worth but only managed to find one photo on google which is this View attachment 126299.
the fella that has got it doesn't know anything about it either and just asked me to make him an offer to take it away.
I had a look and there is no rotors and no windows but everything seems to be there at a glance and even sat on a nice galvanised trailer.
just looking for any information and what do you think its worth offering him?
thanks for any help in advance

attachment.php

Stumbled upon this.

55c895f5d829a1ede331eb27c0439b72.jpg
11137614_1420817004894186_1494282594_n.jpg

Buy it Jamie, build on it, learn from it, make new friends in the process and if you're lucky, one day it may fly. Give it hell Jamie, but be prudent and safe about it. Post pictures of your adventures.