Newbie in central Texas

whchung

Aircraft
C172 / CH2T / 7BCM / MM16 / C182
Total Flight Time
Hello everyone, I’m Jack Chung, an ASEL PPL in Austin, TX. Besides working on IR, I’ve also started flying gyroplane recently. With just one single discovery flight of 0.5 hours I’m immediately hooked. Richard Bach wrote I’ve Never Heard the Wind, and that’s exactly what I feel during hours under the hood. You monitor all the instruments from point A to point B without really knowing what’s outside. Is this really flying, or just plotting GPS track logs? An open cockpit Magni Gyro M16 on the other hand, fully reinvigorates my original desire to fly: I get to fly with a flock of birds, and touch the clouds!

I’ve got some friends who built their RVs, but I’ve never considered building a fixed wing airplane myself. I’d rather spend those 1000 hours flying than installing rivets. But now I’m seriously considering building gyroplanes myself, after understanding the simplicity of its structure and aerodynamic characteristics. And that’s how I discovered this very forum.

Blue sky and tailwinds to y’all.

Last edited:

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
Welcome, Jack !
I'm guessing you flew with Dayton for that discovery flight (?).
Fully agree with your open cockpit gyroplane flight observation. My wife says "it's the ONLY way to fly, if you don't have to get anywhere FAST".
I'm in Georgetown and have 30+ hours in an M-16, but do not currently have a machine. :( Build on !
Brian

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Welcome to our Forum, Jack, and to our amazing sport. You will find a wealth of knowledge here that can be addictive to someone truly interested in gyros.

Regards,

Brian Jackson

AirCommandPilot

Just a fledgeling
Aircraft
Air Command Elite #003
Total Flight Time
Welcome to the forum Jack. Dayton is a great instructor. I've got a few hours with him also. (I'm assuming Dayton, as you live in Austin and you talked about the Magni). You should come down to our Fly-In October 19th and come see some old and new gyros. We can show you the differences between different models and give you a heads up on some dos and don'ts of gyro building/flying.

Attachments

Illini85

Welcome Jack

I agree with you flying at altitude isn't the experience I am seeking. The gyro experience is what we dreamed about flying as children. Good luck in your pursuits. The Magni is at the top of my list.

Rainman

Aircraft
Mooney M20K, AutoGyro Calidus
Jack, Welcome to gyro flying. I’m southwest of you in Boerne and got my start in gyros at T74 with Dayton and Scott. I now own a gyro and have a couple hundred hours in it. If you can go to Anahuac in October, it may give you a good view of your options. Let me know if you fly my way (based at 5C1). Ray