Newbie checking in

Spinner

Aircraft
Topcat aerobic biplane, Veri Eze,
Total Flight Time
20,000+
Hello,

Ever since I first saw a Benson gyrocopter in popular science I’ve wanted to fly one.

I’m currently a fixed wing pilot with over 20,000 flying hours. I’ve flown hang gliders, ultralights, land and sea planes, but I’ve never flown a gyro. I’m also an A&P mechanic but have no experience with rotorcraft maintenance.

I’ve been looking at gyros for sale on barnstormers but not quite sure what I need, or what to be careful of when buying one.

I’m also interested in getting an add on commercial and CFI for gyros.

I’m planning on attending the spring 2022 Carolina Barnstormers event. I hope to see some of you there.

Tim

I would recommend buying a tandem like the AR-1, and get dual instruction in it then solo the same aircraft that you trained in. Build up experience then go buy anything you want.

Last edited:
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum,

Flying a gyroplane is very different than flying anything else.

Transitioning from fixed wings to gyroplanes is fairly easy for most people.

The landings and takeoffs are different and you have to manage your rotor.

Flying around in a gyroplane is pretty similar to flying around in a fixed wing with a few important differences.

Going to an event like the 2022 Carolina Barnstormers has real value for someone just starting out in gyroplanes.

I recommend getting a few lessons in different gyroplanes before purchasing one.

Talk about your mission with a gyroplane flight instructor and he may be able to help you refine your search.

Flying your own aircraft will save money on you training.

Different models of gyroplanes fly differently.

Some flight instructors are Sport Pilot only so you may want to ask if they can teach to commercial level before committing to them.

Having multiple flight instructors has value although it may delay your training process because a flight instructor can’t just pick up where another left off.

I wish you the best of luck on your gyroplane adventure.

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been looking for an instructor. I’ve made several calls but so far no one has returned the calls. I think that the list I have may be out of date. I’m hoping to find someone at barnstormers, so we can talk face to face. I’m in eastern NC. If you know of someone in the area I would appreciate information on how to get in touch.

Thanks again

Welcome Tim!!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you at our Spring get together!!!!
Come early and stay late!!
Free buffet on Saturday for lunch!!

Barry and the Carolina BarnStormers 😁😎

Thanks for the input guys. I’ve been looking for an instructor. I’ve made several calls but so far no one has returned the calls. I think that the list I have may be out of date. I’m hoping to find someone at barnstormers, so we can talk face to face. I’m in eastern NC. If you know of someone in the area I would appreciate information on how to get in touch.

Thanks again
Both Steve Mcgowan and Greg Spicola are both usually in attendance at the Barnstormer Events. You would do well to contact them in advance, they may be willing to come a day early or leave a day late to work with you. I am reluctant to post phone numbers I know both of them have ex lovers trying to reconnect, but if you are interested message me and I will give them to you.

Thanks I’ll take a look.
Hi Spinner, I fly a Dominator single out of Grantham NC, 6NC0. I have my A&P right here in my hangar, he has helped me maintain my gyro for the past 9 years. Call me, I am at the field every weekend, 919-632-9743.