Newbeeee/Hornet

Buckolieo

Hey ALL .. Yes I am new.. I saw a gyro flying the other day. Then found this site. Then fell in love with the machine.. Then fell out of LOVE with the $5,000 for the rotor and head

Go flying and get addicted

Hello Buckolieo.

Yes, some components are expensive because there's much care and labor involved in their fabrication. However, if you are handy with tools and/or have the inclination to learn some new skills, there are folks who machine their own rotor heads. Blade building is an "exact art" so not recommended. There are from time to time used blades available. I bought my engine used from a reputable source... there are deals to be had if budget is the determining factor in your pursuit of gyros. But please keep in mind that adequate training should be the main concern and priority, and can easily exceed $5000. So if that figure scares you off from this endeavor, perhaps this is not the hobby for you. I do hope you stick around though, and welcome to the forum.

Hi Steven.....come on over to our place in Wadesboro, nc.....Anson County Airport.
Would love to show you some different types of gyros.....answer any questions....and give ya some rides.

weve got lots of different types and we'll give ya some goods and bads about different designs.

You are welcome over anytime!!

Barry
Carolina BarnStormers.

Buck: All this gear is made in extremely limited quantities -- it's more or less handmade to order, though some vendors pretend that they have big factories. (Small shops, really.)

A new, very basic machine with a 2-stroke engine will run you $12-15K. A slick Euro-style can put a hole in $100K!.

A used machine can cost less than new, but it may also be either a widowmaker or something in need of upgrades that push the price back up.

Finally, budget a couple thou' for lessons. The life you save might be your own.

Barry's advice is good. Hang out at gatherings to get a feel for what (and who) is out there. This activity is rewarding but intense. You have to be "all in," both in mind and in wallet!

Doug (at it since 1970).

Brian Jackson;n1141275 said:
Hello Buckolieo.

Yes, some components are expensive because there's much care and labor involved in their fabrication. However, if you are handy with tools and/or have the inclination to learn some new skills, there are folks who machine their own rotor heads. Blade building is an "exact art" so not recommended. There are from time to time used blades available. I bought my engine used from a reputable source... there are deals to be had if budget is the determining factor in your pursuit of gyros. But please keep in mind that adequate training should be the main concern and priority, and can easily exceed $5000. So if that figure scares you off from this endeavor, perhaps this is not the hobby for you. I do hope you stick around though, and welcome to the forum.

OHHH I am going to stick around.. And as far as trying to make rotors and head.. Um I'm good but not that good.. I know I can build the air frame no problem.. I will Pinch my pennies and buy the rotor and head.. Everything else I can do..

T
ultracruiser41;n1141287 said:
Hi Steven.....come on over to our place in Wadesboro, nc.....Anson County Airport.
Would love to show you some different types of gyros.....answer any questions....and give ya some rides.

weve got lots of different types and we'll give ya some goods and bads about different designs.

You are welcome over anytime!!

Barry
Carolina BarnStormers.
Hello and thank you.. I have planed on doing just that.. I don't live to far from there. About 1 hour and a 1/2. I use to go to Rockingham all the time for Nascar..

Doug Riley;n1141324 said:
Buck: All this gear is made in extremely limited quantities -- it's more or less handmade to order, though some vendors pretend that they have big factories. (Small shops, really.)

A new, very basic machine with a 2-stroke engine will run you $12-15K. A slick Euro-style can put a hole in $100K!.

A used machine can cost less than new, but it may also be either a widowmaker or something in need of upgrades that push the price back up.

Finally, budget a couple thou' for lessons. The life you save might be your own.

Barry's advice is good. Hang out at gatherings to get a feel for what (and who) is out there. This activity is rewarding but intense. You have to be "all in," both in mind and in wallet!

Doug (at it since 1970).

I plan on Building a Gyro from scratch/plans.. And after looking around a bit more.. The cost isn't that bad.. I have no issue with the airframe I can do it no problem.. I can spread the other cost over time so that is no longer an issue..

Steven.....you're welcome over anytime! We're usually there every weekend and several times during the week.
Just drop me an email or call.

Barry
704-506-6909
[email protected]