New to Gyros DFW Tx area

wylie

I am in my mid 40’s and have 2 young kids and a wife. I ride a motorcycle almost everyday to work in all weather conditions. I enjoy riding when it is extremely cold or during a heavy rain. I like all Motorcycles but prefer HD. I also have a 1959 Cushman eagle, and 2 Rokon TB’s, and a couple Harley’s. I have been building a small wood epoxy micro cruising sailboat for the past 6 years and should have it finished this year in 2020. I have had an interest in Gyrocopter since I was young watching them on TV or seeing them in magazines. I recently bought a Soma kit on EBay and just received it in the mail yesterday. I hope to build this kit out over the next couple of years during that time I will be taking training to learn how to fly a gyrocopter. I actually tried to get an intro flight a few days ago in the dfw Tx area, and well I am now on a diet to loose some weight. One other thing about myself is that when I was younger I was sent to Europe to work for 3 weeks and I stayed there for 10 years working as a roadie in the music industry all over Europe for American sports and music tours. I also worked in Japan in the mid 1990’s on a rock tour “Mr Children”. After struggling for a few years to transition from being a roadie back into a normal life, I am now working as a building engineer in A Data Center.

William

Brian Jackson

Platinum Member
Aircraft
GyroBee Variant - Under Construction
Welcome, William.

There's a lot of knowledge here and some amazing people. Glad to have you in our ranks. BTW, kudos on the roadie gig. My dad's in the music biz and I'm still amazed at the nearly choreographed work many roadies put in.

If you run across Doug Riley's name on the board, he is also building a sailboat. Might be a few interesting paths for you to cross here.

Cheers,

Brian

VWPower

William, Welcome

We have a PRA club down here at Anahuac (Just outside Houston) Texas. We have several gyros in the hanger and a CFI on hand. So, come visit us when you can.

Danny

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
Welcome to the Rotary Wing Forum William.

You should be able to build your Soma kit in a few weekends if it is complete.

There are some remarkable people and lots of gyroplanes at Anahuac and in my opinion it is worth the trip.

A gyroplane can be built to manage more weight.

With a two place it is a matter of weight and balance.

In my experience your sailing experience and motorcycle experience will help you to understand what is going on with flying a gyroplane.

I wish you all the best on your gyroplane adventure.

Attachments

Smack

Re-member?
Aircraft
Kitfox IV / F1 Rocket / Magni M-16 / Beech 18
Total Flight Time
500+
William, CFI Dayton Dabbs is not too far (he is usually in Taylor, Texas) for gyroplane lessons or even a 'discovery flight'.
Brian

wylie

William, Welcome

We have a PRA club down here at Anahuac (Just outside Houston) Texas. We have several gyros in the hanger and a CFI on hand. So, come visit us when you can.

Danny
I appreciate the warm welcome from everyone. The Soma kit I have is new but is not complete and has no instructions or nuts/bolts. I will start putting the soma together but I am not sure if I am going to keep the Soma. I most likely will just buy a different Gyro ready to use after I receive enough training.
Danny, I would really like to stop by your PRA club sometime soon, when would be a good day and time to stop by. Is there a certain day that y’all fly, I would just like to watch a Gyrocopter flying. Also who is the CFI at your club.

Thank You,
William

WaspAir

Supreme Allied Gyro CFI
Aircraft
Bell 47G-3B-1 / A&S 18A / Phoebus C, etc.
Total Flight Time
stopped caring at 1000
I also have a 1959 Cushman eagle
A 1960 Super Eagle was the first motor vehicle I ever operated (a whopping 8hp if you could get it to start).

wylie

Cool, I would love to hear some stories about your adventures on that bike. The 59 I have is actually a 1960 model with the rubber pug under the seat. There is so much character on the bike or repairs and dents and dings that I can’t find I t in my heart to rebuild it. The bike I have is a 1959 that was parked in 1965 so all the dents and dings happened over a small amount of time. I often imagine the fun that young person had chasing tail or going out riding with buddies back in the late fifties early 60’s.

VWPower

William. We are at the hanger most every Saturday. Someone is generally there at around 9:am. Our CFI is Tony Thomas. We look forward to your visit whenever you can make it down our way.

Danny

Rainman

Aircraft
Mooney M20K, AutoGyro Calidus
Consider gyro CFI Craig McPherson at Blue Skies PPC in Blum TX. Very knowledgeable...and close.