New to Bensen gyro

RDW

Aircraft
Bensen Gyro Copter
I need some lessons. I've just purchased a mint condition Benson and am in need of some gyro lessons prior to getting started. I have over 5000 hrs in an AH-1 Cobra helicopter. I realize I'm starting over with this machine.
I live in Spartanburg SC. If anyone knows of a gyro CFI I would really appreciate letting me know what direction to look.

Vance

Gyroplane CFI
Aircraft
Givens Predator
Total Flight Time
2400+ in rotorcraft
I need some lessons. I've just purchased a mint condition Benson and am in need of some gyro lessons prior to getting started. I have over 5000 hrs in an AH-1 Cobra helicopter. I realize I'm starting over with this machine.
I live in Spartanburg SC. If anyone knows of a gyro CFI I would really appreciate letting me know what direction to look.
You may have a hard time finding someone who will teach you in a Bensen.

I recommend Steve McGowan (478) 461-1451
2725 Herbert Small Airport Rd
Macon, GA 31217
[email protected]
(SparrowHawk, Parsons)

Steve’s Parsons trainer (The Black) flies as similar to a Bensen as any two place trainer.

He can also fly your Bensen for you to check the setup and rigging.

A gyroplane is a very different aircraft and only marginally related to a Helicopter like the AH-1.

Some of my most difficult clients have been military helicopter pilots.

Resasi

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Gyrs, RAF 2000/Mgni/Bnsn/Hrnet/Mrlin/Crckt/MT-03/Lyzlle AV18-A/Prdtor. Pax ArrowCopter
Total Flight Time
100+ gyro, 16,000+ other
Welcome to the Forum RDW.

Did my Gyro PPL on a Bensen, after the (UK required) 15 hrs in a two seater, which was a stabless RAF 2000. I love the Bensen, it is a very agile little machine, slight problem being that it’s agility is also, to a degree, a measure of its instability.

The other singles I have flown are Hornet, Merlin, Cricket, and LA18. The Hornet was a kit build the last three all British single seaters. Of all of these the Bensen was the most agile and fun to fly.

Had a fixed wing friend I flew with for a few years, he was an ex Fleet Air Arm fighter jock, who bought a Bensen. Unlike you he had a slight Sky King attitude, if it flies I can fly it. He showed me the picture of his machine and admits he was lucky to walk away, I reckoned it was a miracle. You have certainly begun the right way.

Since you are an aviator it is a transition, but a radical one. As Vance has pointed out gyro are very different machines so quite a lot of instinctive muscle memory will not be helpful. As a fixed wing instructor, airline pilot with lots of time I was also reckoned to be in a problem group when it comes to gyros, but with a positive attitude and acknowledgement that it will be very different, you will be fine.

Have some notes which may be of assistance and will message you.

The PRA Popular Rotary Association has a list of Instructors and locations https://pra.org/default.aspx?p=Training

Boots

Aircraft
GYROBEE 447 / Sport Copter
You have a local CFI he may or may not be taking new students, I have training in both of his machines and was a great experience 👍 The Carolina Barnstormers have a couple of hangars full of gyros, (KAFP) You are welcome to come visit.
Gary Neal -- Spartanburg Gary Neal offers gyroplane instruction in an RAF2000 gyroplane and a Parsons two-place gyroplane.
Contact Gary Neal by phone at (864) 583-4319 or by email at [email protected]

Rattler 1

Aircraft
C150-C172-Taylorcraft-Tbird-Rans S9-challenger-Benson-Air Command-Sportcopter
Total Flight Time
I just want to tell you, Thanks for you're Service,!!! I am extremely proud of people like you. Fly safe.

RDW

Aircraft
Bensen Gyro Copter
Vance, Thanks so much. I will try hard not to be a difficult student. Although, you know how us older guys are............HA

Resasi, Thank you also, Sir. I hope the transition goes smoothly.

Boots, I will contact Gary Neal. Thank you so very much for the contact.

Rattler 1, Your welcome Sir. It was my honor to serve this country of ours for 27 years.

RICK MARTIN

Gold Member
Aircraft
Everglades Kite Gyro, Tandem Dominator
Total Flight Time
900 hours
First, I want to thank you for your service. Second, Steve McGowan would be my recommendation for an instructor.

kolibri282

I just want to tell you, Thanks for your Service!
I wish very, very deeply that German servicewomen and -men were given the same tribute for what they do for our country. NATO, for a long time, stood for a Band of Brothers/Sisters who fought for the free world. In that sense I can join that "Thanks for Your Service!"

Cheers,

Juergen
PS: There is no doubt that Germany, all through the Merkel era, didn't pull an adequate load in the fight for freedom on this globe.