New tandem gyro

It looks real good Murray. Interesting design that I'd like to see closer. Did you stick build it or was it a kit, and whose design?

Hello Chuck, It is my own design but basicly I have been building them along the Dominator style for about twelve years now.The gyro in the photo is completly "stick" built.

Very nice! Wish I had one just like it so I could take my friends for a ride. Someday I hope to own a 2-place.

Very nice, Murray. How many have you built? Is that a 912 on the first one?

Not being familiar with Australia, are you very from the other Aussies who are members of this forum?

Nice machines! My only comment is I don't like how the blade strap is up against the windshield. The dominators have the pivot tube extending out from the front of the pod a foot or so, and the tube is built strong enough to use for moving the gyro around and to tie the blade strap to.

Chuck the first gyro is powered by a Subaru EJ-22 and the Second one appears to be powered with the 618 Rotax.

I agree with you Ron, about the blade strap and the Pitot Tube (not pivot tube).

Last edited:
Ya,ll are going to give Chuck E a heart flutter callin that Petcock tube a Pedot tube:D

How does the vertical CG location come out? A bit below the thrust line? Above? Right on?

It looks close but looks are sometimes deceiving.

Doug Riley said:
How does the vertical CG location come out? A bit below the thrust line? Above? Right on?
It looks close but looks are sometimes deceiving.
Doug, this is true, as you have pointed out with the GyroBee. And the one thing I was hoping for from you people on the ASTM Stability Standards sub-committee was a requirement that the vertical Cg be placarded and/or visibly and permanently identified on the LSA machines. Was this ever considered or would that have been 'perscriptive'?

Dean, it would be "prescriptive" if the standard said the CG had to be within X inches of thrustline, or some such thing. The FAA wouldn't accept design prescriptions, only performance standards. This frustrated some committee members, but probably is the politically wise way of getting to the same result.

However, I believe the CG location in the X and Y axes (maybe Z, too; can't recall) must be called out in the aircraft manual. Greg Gremminger could confirm this.

Hello All, Answers to questions. Yes the second one is powererd by a 618 and I flew about 500 hours on it before selling. The first one is an ej22 with a Hirth gear box.It only has 8 hours so far.The blade strap is only tied to the front stick untill a tie down is put on the front.
I think the closest to other forum users is 1000 kms(600miles),that would be Tim McClure.Dont know where the V cog is yet.The pink machine is close to a dominator thrust line and is very stable.The white machines TL is about 4 inches higher and so far I dont think its as good as the old one.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing them with us, Murray. Did you ever have to do any repair work to the 618 with 500 hours? (I have a 618 on my Dominator single)

Chuck,My mistake ,only around 400 hrs on the pink gyro.I did about 260 hrs on the first engine and came across a brand new one for a good price so in it went! The old engine went into a single seater.Never really had a problem with either engine.
Mike, the blades on the white gyro are composite construction and are made a couple hrs drive from where i live.They are tapered and twisted with a diferent airfoil at the root and tips. The blades on the pink gyro are made by some dude down in Florida,Ernie I think his name is ???

Murray,
I think I know that guy, from where I can't recall. I thought those were DW's on the pink machine. Any reason for not going back to DW's other than the location of the manufacturer?

Last edited:
Thank you Murray. I have right at 100 hours on my 618. Any advice for making it last would be appreciated.

That's pretty neat . . . some dude down in Florida, Ernie I think his name is ???