New Sport Rotors Arrived - Great Customer Service

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+
Received my new 8"x 25' blades a couple of weeks ago. I have been able to make a few flights and am still in the "tweaking" stage.

On the initial flight it was immediately apparent that the gyro lifted off a little earlier and the rate of climb was better. (the old blades were 7"chord and the old airfoil) On landing is also had more float.

I had to track the blades to get them smoother and am still fine tuning them.

The rotor rpm dropped from 360-370 down to 330-340.

I have not done any top speed runs but at cruise power there is no difference in speed.

I am very happy with the Sport Copter and I have thanked Jim for his generosity in several phone conversations. I also want to thank Jon for making this blade swap possible.

Last edited:

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Great news Mike. Can't wait to see your new Sport Copter in the air. What will you do with your Dominator, it's nice haveing two so whenever you have to work on one you can always still fly the other.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
MMorgan....

MMorgan....

"I am very happy with the Sport Copter and I have thanked Jim for his generosity in several phone conversations. I also want to thank Jon for making this blade swap possible. "

This is a very nice contrast to the title of the other post. Perhaps it should be the title of this one?

Good flying!

Ben S

Master Roda

The Jedi
Ben,

He had every right to be upset about his parts being late or whatever happened. I would be too. He vented his frustrations and that's ok. I consider that history and we're moving along.

Mike,

I hope you like your new blades. Please let me know if you need tracking tabs or touch up paint in the future. Remember not to wax them for awhile.

Jon

All_In

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Piper Archer, Aviomania G1sb
Total Flight Time
Not sure over 10,000+ logged FW, 260+ ultralights, sailplane, hang-gliders
Way to go the extra mile Jon. Almost unheard of today!!

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Ben,

You are correct....should have titled it better.

Made the change a few minutes ago to "great customer service"

Changed the title on the first post but it does not change the title of the thread......not sure how to do that if it is even possible.

Mike G......change it for me if you can.

Last edited:

BEN S

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike...

Mike...

On a lighter note, if you are trying to track your blades, I have found that the method the guys use with the mirror is a PIA. Try using a laser, it worked easier for me.
Are you planning on coming to any of the Western fly-ins?

Ben S

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Ben,

Several of us local guys have talked about making a "western" trip with the gyros but it never got past the talking stage.

It would have to be a two week event as it's 2-3 days drive each way depending on exactly where we would go.

So yes...I want to but not sure when we can make it happen.

BEN S

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike, how far are you from Many La?
Ben S

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
Plan for a the Black Hills and Badlands of SD trip

Plan for a the Black Hills and Badlands of SD trip

Ben,

Several of us local guys have talked about making a "western" trip with the gyros but it never got past the talking stage.
If you do get serious, put western Nebraska and the Black Hills of South Dakota into the planning. I have a "cabin for my friends" that will sleep four in their own bed, or two double beds for couples. The Black Hills is a great place to see, and fly over the Badlands, which are only 50 miles to the east of the Black Hills, then have lunch at Wall Drug at 4V6. I fly up there a lot, since you can walk to eat. My place is only 50 miles south of the Black Hills and I base my plane and gyro build at Hay Springs, NE 6V4. A nice grass strip. So put this into your planning and use the internet to research and build excitement. A number of years ago, I hosted a Cessna Pilots Society flyin at Spearfish, SD and everyone from all corners of the country spoke highly about the Black Hills and Badlands.

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Ben...a little over 100 miles southeast of Many, LA.

Feedpro....sounds like a fun trip, I have always wanted to go to Sturgis and never have... so maybe that will be a possibility and go to your place at the same time.

feedpro

Aircraft
Sonex homebuilt, Vortex M912
Total Flight Time
6700+ 96 hours gyro
Mike,
Used to live in Sturgis, more then 35 years ago when the rally was smaller and everyone camped in the park. Would go to the park in the evenings to watch the entertainment of topless girls dancing on the top of an old school bus. No one is allowed to camp in the park any more, and camp sites are hard to find within 50 miles of Sturgis. Camping in the huge campgrounds with big name entertainment would be an education in the evenings.
Sturgis now has about the same numbers attending as Oshkosh at 500,000 or so for the week as they go and come, only not 10,000 airplanes, but for sure more then 10,000 bikes. Sturgis airport gets a number of jets parked there during the rally. They hire their bikes hauled up and they fly, then ride their bike around, dressed like they don't have money. Most "well to do" bikers will take off their riding leathers and hang them up in the garage until next year and then put them back on when they get to Sturgis and wear them for the week so they smell like everyone else and fit in, although a large percentage of bikers at Sturgis are now "old folks" riding big road bikes or three wheelers. I will sometimes fly up there to check on the crowd and visit old friends who are the FBO at the airport.
You better make those plans. Sturgis is 125 road miles from my place, located in the Northern hills. Bring beer and friends.
Karl