New Sport Copter video

training

training

Well, not here in Alaska! Oregon would be the closest training site, but every time I attempt to arrange training with Sportcopter, everyone is busy doing this and that! Interesting. One would think that among other things, training would be a priority. Properly trained pilots tend to buy the type of aircraft in which they train.
My choices are to go further and further from home. This becomes very difficult in terms of scheduling. . . . eight months with the machine in my hanger, and no flights!
Thanks for asking. Sorry about hijacking your thread.
George

C'mon George. You don't have your training because you won't travel to a CFI? Why the heck did you buy a gyroplane? Were you counting on training from the company? (still far to go) I wish we had 3 CFI's...fact is, we can't train 9 months out of the year due to weather anyway.

Training is where you find it George. There are great CFI's that are on this board...please see them. Start a thread seeking one. You will get training.

Good luck George,

Jon

George,

We can certainly relate to the frustration you are feeling about getting training. I am sure with you living in Alaska you run into several things that are much more limited, because of where you live. However, the truth is, regardless of where you live, most places in the US are a major challenge to get training in a Gyroplane.

It would be nice if every manufacturer could provide a trainer and a CFI to train in their brand of Gyros, but they don't. It would be nice if every Gyro CFI had a two place Gyro that they could offer training in, but they don't. It would be nice if after getting to the point where you are cleared to solo, you could rent your CFI's training aircraft to solo in, but you can't. The list of restrictions and challenges is long and it is a major problem for most of the country. The list of available Gyro CFI's that are actively training, and have a trainer available to train in is very short and it is almost a given that you are going to have to travel a major distance to get that training. It will take weeks of vacation time (if you work) and with the weather limitting when you can train once you get there, it can often be a major challenge to get training. Only the people that really want it, tend to hang in there long enough to overcome the challenges and get it done. But ther truth is there are people doing it and you can to. You just have to realize it is a totally different situation than learnign to fly a fixed wing aircraft or learning to fly a Helicopter. We are a very small segment in aviation and until we get a lot bigger and have a lot more demand for training, there won't be a lot of CFI's hanging out their shingle and trying to make a living by training new Gyro pilots.

We all need to do all we can to encourage new Gyro CFIs to get involved, but until that happens we have to live with what we have. You can get a list of current CFI's in the Rotorcraft magazine (from the PRA) If you aren't a current member, that should be your next step. Join the PRA, contact a CFI and find someone that can help you, then make the commitment to come down to ... (where ever you need to come to) and get some training. It isn't easy or convenient, but it is worth it.

C'mon George. You don't have your training because you won't travel to a CFI? Why the heck did you buy a gyroplane? Were you counting on training from the company? (still far to go) I wish we had 3 CFI's...fact is, we can't train 9 months out of the year due to weather anyway.

Training is where you find it George. There are great CFI's that are on this board...please see them. Start a thread seeking one. You will get training.

Good luck George,

Jon

LOL. Being FROM Oregon, I am very familiar with the weather situation. I have no problem traveling for training, BUT, since I am in Oregon monthly, in makes sense to me to train there. Also, running my company full time, AND working 80-90 hours per week to keep my employes and colleagues checks coming somewhat limits the amount of time I can travel for 'fun'. The 'You've got it now you're on your own' attitude is bothersome and condescending. Were training available at the factory, I would now certainly seek it elsewhere.

The 'You've got it now you're on your own' attitude is bothersome and condescending. Were training available at the factory, I would now certainly seek it elsewhere.

I've never expressed an attitude George. You know we don't have training....we havent since John Hardy left years ago (flying for PGA). Instead we refer our customers to other CFI's. You have the same opportunity.

I'm sorry your personal obligations keep you from training, but I fail to see how that's my (or Sport Copter's) problem. Please tell me what I'm missing here.

Was that the top secret hyper speed that I seen in the video .

Looking forward to seeing the aircraft next week in Maryland! Good looking machine!

Mike

Gary,

That video is not my work. I wouldn't release top secret information like that :)

Mike,

Thanks! I'm glad you like it. She's a real performer too.

This gyro is in a class by itself! A 7' pilot can fit in the cockpit (almost comfortably)! I've been flying the Phase I test time off the machine with Jim. The performance is unmatched and the safety features are extensive! The Sportscopter team has delivered on a quality piece of machinery. Cooling the Lycoming Mill was a challenge that has been met. The engine cooling has to be suppressed to prevent over cooling here in Oregon (a great problem to have).

After the DOJ fly in, I hope to take this machine on a walk-about of the US. Oshkosh?? PRA??? Who knows?

It' heavy right now. We're working on shaving weight off the next machines. Build it heavy & strong and then remove weight where possible without compromising strenght & safety. It's safer than breaking parts & increasing strenght. The climb performance is amazing! The engine provides plenty of thrust to get er done.

That is one sexy and impressive performing gyro. Sportcopter is a very patient company getting it right. All their products reflect that. This is really going to be a Cadillac of gyros in my opinion. Stan

And I can tell you that it will comfortably seat a full figure guy of near 300 lbs with room to spare .
Very impressive machine .

Not only can you seat him/her, it will fly the payload! This thing goes up like an elevator.