New Sport Copter born today

Mike484

AR-1 🇺🇸
Aircraft
RAF 2000 w/Horizontal stabilizer, KB3 w/tall tail
Total Flight Time
40+
Mike, not to get off topic, just curious, is this the machine that we will be seeing at the Anahuac Fly-in next month?

Master Roda

The Jedi
Mike,

Those blades predate my employment by a year or so. According to Jim they have the old airfoil. I didn't start the new method of record keeping that includes extensive flight information until later so I don't have alot of info on them.

I talked to Jim about trading your blades in for a new set at a huge discount if your interested. The blades you have will work obviously, but the 8's are better.

Jon

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+
Mike, not to get off topic, just curious, is this the machine that we will be seeing at the Anahuac Fly-in next month?
Mike, I will probably have to bring the Dominator since I will not have the Phase One hours flown off by then.

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+
I had mentioned earlier in a post that my Sport Copter needed some nose down trim....someone said why....because they said Sport Copters did not need any trim.

At 5000 rpm it is hands off.....but you cannot fly at that low power and maintain altitude. So at 5300-6000 where I fly it takes a great deal of forward pressure to maintain level flight.

I installed two springs on the control stick as shown in the photos and played with the tension until now it flies hands off or very little pressure at the normal cruising power.

This is just a temporary set-up so i have not permanently installed them.

Is my Sport Copter the only one out there that needs a trim spring?? Maybe the old style 7" chord blades have something to do with it but I won't know till the new ones arrive.

Attachments

GaryMac

Aircraft
Building a Genesis G1sa
Total Flight Time
Hello, Mike.

Did you ever permanently solve the forward trim on your Sport Copter? Just curious what you ended up doing, or did this spring installation solve everything?

Thanks, Gary

Timchick

Tim Chick
Aircraft
Sport Copter Vortex, 582 Greyhead
Total Flight Time
~30
Yeah, I'd like to know also. If I relax my forward pressure on my cyclic mine will climb when I'm trying to fly straight and level. I also have the 7" chord blades.

scott heger

Custom-made Troublemaker
Aircraft
SportCopter Bell 206L-1
Total Flight Time
I have flown my gyro with both the Sportrotors 25 X7 and 25X8 inch cord sport blades. I have also flown another vortex with the McCutchen 25 blades. In my configuration (no enclosure) they all fly a little different. The 25X7 are sporty feeling, fast to spin up and have a light stick feel to them. The 25X8 were exchanged a few years ago for the 25X7 to be used for factory demolition testing. Those 25X7 blades were one of the first sets they built back in 1999. The bigger blades are noticeably beefier, have almost no droop when stopped, are slower to spin up, feel heavier doing hard maneuvers, but have so much more float, which is most noticeable upon landing and take less power to hold altitude. In high DA conditions, or in the most challanging gusty wind conditions they are very forgiving and smooth. At sea level they run about 310 RRPM on my tach, at 60 MPH and are a bit slower than I like and seem to be "overbladed". At 110 MPH in a dive, they are still gaining rotor speed. Get them up to a 5000 foot DA and they are around 330 RRPM and seem smoother and snappier(great technical term) at that rotor speed. The McCuthen's were middle of the road between the two others. My only wish is that I have the newer adjustable hub bar for my blades instead of the fixed pitch bar to compare with. Maybe Santa in Scappoose will fill my Xmas basket this year with a hub bar.......

Scott Heger, Laguna Niguel, Ca N86SH