New Sport Copter born today

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
MTO Sport, Bensen, LittleWing LW-3, Breezy
Total Flight Time
4000+
The Sport Copter Vortex partially completed kit I bought last fall took to the skies today shortly after the FAA airworthiness inspection. It has a 582 with a 66" Warp Drive prop and 25 ft. x 7" Sport Rotors.
There were no problems....only minor tweaks needed.

Attachments

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
I have a question for some of the Sport Copter drivers out there: If my rotor tach is correct, the rotors are turning 370 rpm which is about 25-30 rpm faster than my Dragon Wings on my Dominator which are a foot shorter...24 Ft. My Sport Copter all up weight is 625-650 lbs depending on fuel load.
What are some of the other Sport Copters turning at similar weights?? My 25 footers are the 7 " cord.

Do Sport Rotors turn faster than Dragon Wings at the same weight/load?

I remember from years ago I flew my Air Command with 23 ft. Dragon Wings and 23 ft. SkyWheels and the SkyWheels turned faster.

Last edited:

GyroCFI

Aircraft
Snobird Tandem Adventurer
Total Flight Time
One of my best test flights was in a sport copter

One of my best test flights was in a sport copter

Back when I was training in the 90's one of my students had a Sport Copter Rotor Lightning and he asked me if I would test fly it for him. I had heard a lot about them in the PRA magazine so I really wasn't too hesitant.

After a very thorough preflight that lasted a loooooong time (I went over every nut and bolt literally) I taxied it to the grass runway and cranked up the rotors with the hand crank prerotator. That was probably the only thing I didn't like about it the prerotator wasn't the best, but in all fairness, it did get the blades up to where you could manage the rotor and get them going without much effort.

I can still remember how pleasantly surprised I was at how it performed throughout all of the envelope. I really recall that there was very very little stick shake and the cyclic didn't feel heavy at all, it was very light and easily maneuverable. It was also more comfortable to sit in and fly than my other gyro, it felt more natural to fly. The Pod did a fair job of keeping the wind off and I could see the usefullness at extending the flying season by a few weeks later in teh year.

I actually test flew it for a full hour i enjoyed it so much. I can't recall whose it was so if you were my student who owned that chime in.

BEN S

Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex "light"
Total Flight Time
200+
Thats how I fel every time..

Thats how I fel every time..

I take to the skies in my lightning! It is a natural extension of my will to fly.Not quite wings out of my back, but damn close.
I am jealous of your 582 to a point, but so far have been very happy with my 503 to the point that there isn't enough justification to spend the money for the upgrade......yet!
Ben S

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Sportcopter Vortex / Xenon RST
Total Flight Time
Congratulations!

Congratulations!

Good to hear that there's another great gyro in the air, I love flying my sportcopter vortex. It's my dirt bike in the sky.
I see great adventures are in the future.....
Doug S.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Mike, Congrats on your new machine !!! Can't wait to hear how you like it !!

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
I already like it a lot......I need to tweak the blades a little, add a trim spring for some nose down trim and change the gearbox ratio from 2.62 to 3.00 to 1.

CLS447

Platinum Member
Aircraft
Air Command 503 & Air Command SxS /EJ2.5
Total Flight Time
Aprox 400 gyro
Mike , are those blades adjustable ?

Will the trim spring pull the head forward ?

Why the gear change ?

BEN S

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike...

Mike...

Why would you be adding trim springs to a Sportcopter? They don't use them for a reason.
Ben S

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
i talked to Jim about it at Oshkosh and he said add a spring if I needed one. He initially said it does not need one but it definitely needs nose down stick in level cruise flight.

Jim also said they have only used 3 to 1 gears. I had to pitch the prop at 8 degrees to get over 6000 static rpm.

Sport Copter pilots: See post # 3 I asked a question about Sport Rotor rpms and no one answered??

Master Roda

The Jedi
Mike,

Send me the serial number on your hub bar and I'll look up the specs on it.
It sounds like your pitch is set too low, but let me check everything. They should be set to 2 degrees (or close to it). Then again, your tach could be off.

Jon

BEN S

Aircraft
Total Flight Time
200+
Mike...

Mike...

I saw your post but could not answer, I don't use a rotor tach. They go from stopped to whup whup whup when i am having fun.
I would definitely talk to Jon about it though.
Ben S

Friendly

Platinum Member
Aircraft
KB2 & KB4
Total Flight Time
Congratulations Mike,
I took today off, If I had know earlier, I could have drove down and we could have Buzzed Gaspard, while he worked

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
RPM speed...

RPM speed...

i talked to Jim about it at Oshkosh and he said add a spring if I needed one. He initially said it does not need one but it definitely needs nose down stick in level cruise flight.

Jim also said they have only used 3 to 1 gears. I had to pitch the prop at 8 degrees to get over 6000 static rpm.

Sport Copter pilots: See post # 3 I asked a question about Sport Rotor rpms and no one answered??
My rotors are 25' and there turning at 310 to 315 RPM, and I weigh in at 175 lbs. If I fill up my aux tanks that gives me a total of 14.5 gals of fuel. Now my rotors are spinning at 325 to 330 RPM. I think your rotor tach might be off a little...
Doug S.

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Doug,

Do you have 7" or 8" blades?

I would assume my 7's would have to turn faster than 8's on the same machine.
Maybe Jon can weigh in on that??

Doug S.

PRA # 41505
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
Doug,

I've got 8" blades on my Sportcopter

Master Roda

The Jedi
Doug,

You must not have seen my post. Please send me your serial number and I will check the numbers according to when we tested them.

The 7's should be about the same RRPM as 8's. They shake more than the 8's (on that machine) and aren't as rigid.
At the time your machine was delivered, we sold 7's with them. We now ship 8x25 for all 582 Vortex's.

Personally, I feel that 7's should only be used on ultralights. Increasing the weight further deserves an aspect ratio change. Case in point; we use 9's for the SCII.

Jon

MMorgan

Gold Supporter
Aircraft
Total Flight Time
4000+
Jon,

I did see the post but I was gone for a few days. Just got home and emailed some pics to Trenna of the blades and hub bar.

She should forward them to you....if not ask her for them.

The blade #'s are clearly in the pics. Hub serial # is SC061400037

Last edited: